This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ballet de España Preview touring

A preview of the Company will be touring starting next August 5 in La Granja and finishing in January in Barcelona.

The programme and cast are the following:

First Part:

Tchaikovsky (pas de deux), George Balanchine, with Matthew Golding and Ashley Ellis,

Amaduo, Mozart, Margarita Fernández with Carmen Corella and Herman Cornejo.

George Balanchine ¿Who cares?, George Gershwin, with Angel Corella, Kazuko Omori, Ana Calderón and Laila Dipace.

Second Part

Corsario Suite, Ricardo Drigo -Marius Petipa with Angel Corella (esclavo), Kazuko Omori (Medora), Matthew Golding (Lankeden), Carmen Corella (Gulnare); Ana Calderón, Ashley Ellis and Laila Dipace (odaliscas), George Birkazde (Pacha), Radev Kirill (Birbanto) and Ana Calderón, Ashley Ellis and Laila Dipace (jardín animado).

Students of the Joven Ballet de Cataluña Aina Vidal, Carla Antúnez, Alicia Navas, Laia Vancells, Anna Navarro and Mireia Lorente, will also participate.

According to what is reported in Spain:

Corella señaló que el trabajo en su nueva compañía le obligará a reducir la temporada de actuaciones en el American Ballet, del que es primer bailarín, y el próximo año solamente realizará con esta agrupación la temporada de actuaciones en el Metropolitan de Nueva York entre principios de mayo y finales de junio.

Terra Actualidad - EFE

http://www.fotoescena.net/foro/viewtopic.p...8111b275f8d522b

Next year Ángel will only be with ABT for the Met season in NY, May & June.

Thanks so much for that report, carolina m.

Does anyone have more information on the individual dancers that Corella has gathered for this program? The ABT contingent, Carmen Corella and Herman Cornejo, who I assume are guests, are familiar here. Golding and Ellis are, or have been, with ABT. What about some of the others? Are they full-time company members, or is this currently more in the nature of an touring pick-up group using a company name? The fotoescena report mentions that the ABT dancers are "accompanying the tour."

The reports in fotoescena also make it clear that there are advantages, if you are going to start a company, to be a famous international star.

Corella indicated that there have already been offers to bring this program -- once the Spanish tour is concluded -- to other countries such as Japan, Brazil, or the United States, where so much interest has been shown for the work of the Spanish dancer.
:)
Thanks so much for that report, carolina m.

Does anyone have more information on the individual dancers that Corella has gathered for this program? The ABT contingent, Carmen Corella and Herman Cornejo, who I assume are guests, are familiar here. Golding and Ellis are, or have been, with ABT.

Since both Golding and Ellis are among those who are no longer listed in the ABT website (see the thread on ABT Soloist promotions which has gone on to be, more generally, about who has left, joined, been promoted etc), the logical assumption seems to be that they would be joining (or hoping to join) Corella's company on a more permanent basis.

Carmen Corella has also left ABT--and while one can postulate a number of reasons for that (including the fact she got almost no roles this past season), it seems a likely assumption that she too would be joining as a permanent member.

I've tried to word this very carefully to indicate that these are my assumptions based on the evidence we have currently about the roster at ABT and the Ballet de Espana, but just for the record--I'm just putting 2 and 2 together here. I don't *know* anything about the permanent roster of the Ballet de Espana.

Call it an educated hypothesis :)

As always, a big THANK YOU to Carolina for posting tour dates.

Until visas, and consequently contracts are finalized, the Ballet de Espana cannot release the formal roster of their (almost 60?) dancers. Once that happens, there should be an announcement later this fall or early next year. A truly international company which speaks volumes about how much goodwill and support Angel Corella has earned over the years both personally and professionally.