This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Thanks for that Heads Up!, Charming Lise. I couldn't get the Link to work, even after locating the original press release and trying to create a new Link . If anyone else is having a problem, just Google: "bbc" + "ballet shoes". You'll find a BBC One press release a few listings down from the top.

Here's the bulk of the BBC Press Office release:

BBC Drama today announces a major new dramatisation of Ballet Shoes, the classic novel by Noel Streatfeild. The feature-length film will transmit on BBC One later this year.

Ballet Shoes is a Granada production for BBC One and has been adapted by the acclaimed screenwriter Heidi Thomas (I Capture The Castle, Lilies, The Cranford Chronicles).

Victoria Wood, Richard Griffiths and Marc Warren star with full cast announced later this month.

It is directed by Sandra Goldbacher (The Governess, Me Without You) and produced by Piers Wenger (Housewife, 49).

Set in Thirties London, Ballet Shoes tells the exhilarating tale of orphans Pauline, Petrova and Posy Fossil, who are adopted by an eccentric explorer, Gum, and raised as sisters by his selfless niece.

The timeless and uplifting story revolves around each girl's struggle to fulfil her dreams: Pauline longs to be an actress, Petrova yearns to be an aviator, and Posy seems born to be a ballerina.

But when Gum disappears, the money runs out â€â€œ and the girls have a fight on their hands. Their struggle to balance personal ambition with the need to survive physically, emotionally, and financially, proves moving and comic by turns.

Ballet Shoes, first published in September 1936, was an immediate bestseller, and has never been out of print.

Patrick Spence, Head of Drama, BBC Northern Ireland, comments: "Ballet Shoes has been loved by generations of readers, and is cherished throughout the world. The Fossil sisters don't just touch hearts, they steal them."

Heidi Thomas adds: "When I was a child, I slept with this book beneath my pillow. It has the power to inspire like no other."

Ballet Shoes is due to begin shooting in August 2007. The executive producers for Granada are Michele Buck and Damien Timmer.

Open casting for the roles of the 2 sisters will be held this coming week. Not a lot of time to prepare for an August shoot!

Thanks for that Heads Up!, Charming Lise. I couldn't get the Link to work, even after locating the original press release and trying to create a new Link .
Apologies. I thought I reapired the link earlier today. Apparently not. Maybe it works now? :smilie_mondieu:

I'e gotten curious about this. I hadn't heard of this book until recently (on another thread). Apparently it was last done as a (6-part?) series on BBC in 1975. The London Children's Ballet did a stage version in 2001. According to one of the sources I found, this book had an effect on British girls in the 30s-50s similar to the effect that the Biggles series had on boys. Is that possible?

http://www.rogersvideodirect.ca/Browse/tit...titleId(122234)

http://ftvdb.bfi.org.uk/sift/series/25427

What kind of dancing parts are there in this? The 1975 vhs has a cover photo of a very young child on pointe. Do we see her dancing as an adult? Are there any real dance numbers? Any thoughts on the new production?

I'e gotten curious about this. I hadn't heard of this book until recently (on another thread). Apparently it was last done as a (6-part?) series on BBC in 1975. The London Children's Ballet did a stage version in 2001. According to one of the sources I found, this book had an effect on British girls in the 30s-50s similar to the effect that the Biggles series had on boys. Is that possible?

http://www.rogersvideodirect.ca/Browse/tit...titleId(122234)

http://ftvdb.bfi.org.uk/sift/series/25427

What kind of dancing parts are there in this? The 1975 vhs has a cover photo of a very young child on pointe. Do we see her dancing as an adult? Are there any real dance numbers? Any thoughts on the new production?

Hello,

I saw this program when it was first broadcast on PBS. I remember it because, of course, the title and subject caught my attention, and Joanna David played the nurturing adult who helped each girl realise her dreams, and I remembered her from lots of "Masterpiece Theatre" before I found out she was a dancer once too.

The story is sweet, and definately is relevant to all who long to express themselves in whatever subject/career most interests them. There was NOT that much ballet dancing that I remember, and it was mostly by the children. I do not remember any final "performance" or character update showing adults dancing, but then again, 30yrs ago is a long way back for my tired brain to work. As I said, a sweet story, an inspiring one (also to me because of the girl "tomboy" who was interested in mechanics & science--still a surprise to many, even then), but limited in major dance numbers. Hope this helps somewhat.

4mrdncr