This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Where is Avichai Scher

printscess

I don't know about the Joffrey, but the list of dancers confirms what I'd heard some friends - who had run into Avi - say, that he is with that company. I think he was listed with a Sacramento Co. a year or so ago, so he's been in CA for a while. Wish we could see him here (in NYC!)

written later, after some sleep:

Forgive me -- when I said "THAT Company," I was referring to the LA Ballet and not the Joffrey. I started by saying: "I don't know about the Joffrey" because I hadn't seen their roster. I had checked the LAB roster and saw Avi's name. which confirmed what my friends had said, that he was with the LAB.

I don't know about the Joffrey, but the list of dancers confirms what I'd heard some friends - who had run into Avi - say, that he is with that company. I think he was listed with a Sacramento Co. a year or so ago, so he's been in CA for a while. Wish we could see him here (in NYC!)

written later, after some sleep:

Forgive me -- when I said "THAT Company," I was referring to the LA Ballet and not the Joffrey. I started by saying: "I don't know about the Joffrey" because I hadn't seen their roster. I had checked the LAB roster and saw Avi's name. which confirmed what my friends had said, that he was with the LAB.

I remember him being a very kind young man when he was at SAB, and extraordinaryly talented. I have tried to follow his career as a dancer as well as a choreographer.

This list is from his own one page website, www.avisher.com:

Dance:

Los Angeles Ballet 06/07

Tulsa Ballet 06/07

Joffrey Ballet 05/06

Ballet San Jose 04/05

Washington Ballet 04

Sacramento Ballet 03/04

That's almost more confusing than anything else.

Its a very strange (and brief) placeholder of a website. And a proofreader might be in order. :smilie_mondieu:

I hope he is still choreographing! I saw something he did for the ABT Studio Company several years ago, and was so impressed.

Thanks! Yah I have been trying to keep choreographing, but it's been hard lately, and I've been busy dancing. I am doing a piece for Festival Ballet Providence this year, one for for the school and one for the company.

I saw your piece for ABT Studio Co., too, and was very impressed. I hope you have plenty of opportunities to choreograph, because good choreographers are so much rarer than good dancers.

Merde to you in all your endeavors, and welcome to BalletTalk! :off topic:

Avichai Scher (Avi) is listed as a dancer with LA Ballet and Joffrey. Does anyone know where he is dancing? He is a very talented choreographer.

Thanks for the choreography credit! I'm dancing with Ballet British Columbia in Vancouver now. So far so good, beautiful place to be. Do I know you?

Avi

Yes you do!!! Thanks for answering my email last month, did you get my response? I was just in Portland, got back last night.

I hope it's not out of line to post this LINK TO AN ARTICLE written by Mr. Scher at 17. (Scroll down one page.)

Mr. Schere describes the process by which he prepared an earlier piece for the Miami City Ballet School. The piece shows an admirable drive to get work done. (He was originally told there would be no time for him to prepare something like that, so he organized the dancers, rehearsals, etc., all by himself.)

As an MCB fan, I'm pleased that Edward Villella, Nancy Raffa, and others at the company recognized and praised his work and put it into their school performance.