This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

PBS Great Performances: Nureyev: The Russian Years

Great Performances actually has a dancing offering this summer: Nureyev: The Russian Years to air on

August 29, 2007 at 9 pm.

NUREYEV: THE RUSSIAN YEARS

Rudolf Nureyev is one of the enduring icons of the performing arts in the 20th century, a figure whose fame reached far beyond the ballet stage. But what is there to say about Nureyev that hasn't already been said in numerous books and documentaries? In the post-Soviet world, new sources of information have emerged. Featuring recently recorded interviews with Russian friends and colleagues now free to discuss his early years, as well as archival footage not seen in the West, NUREYEV: THE RUSSIAN YEARS traces his meteoric career with fresh insight and candor. At last, this performance documentary reveals why he felt compelled to defect in 1961 -- his daring quest for personal and artistic freedom -- as well as his painful homecoming many years later under the hostile eye of the KGB. The program will complement the publication of a major new authorized biography by Julie Kavanagh in spring 2007.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/shows/nureyev/index.html

The authorized biography by Julie Kavanagh that was originally being published in spring 2007, is in fact coming out next month and can be pre-ordered on Amazon.

Looking forward to reading all your opinions of this programme next week. Wonder if it will make its way across the pond?

Very intresting site. Thank you, Dale.

'm sure most BTers will do very well on the quiz, which includes photos and video microsnippets.
Well, I don't know about their scoring. They said I got 10 out of 10, but I thought I missed the one about where he was born. Maybe they are just being kind? :)
Great Performances actually has a dancing offering this summer: Nureyev: The Russian Years to air on

August 29, 2007 at 9 pm.

I just finished watching it...i really can't express some of the emotions that it brought to me. I understood every word regarding Nureyev's fear. I grew up surrounded by it too,and it's just unexplainable sometimes to the western culture. The dancing footage was beautiful. I especially loved the "Laurencia" clips. The sequences of his pirouettes and chainees were out of this world...it was unbelievable.Rudolph Nureyev, RIP, and :bow::bow::bow: for your artistry and courage!!!! Bravooooooooooo!!!!!!

Mel put up another thread to discuss the show here:

Nureyev

so I'm going to close this thread and direct people to the new one so that we don't have two discussions going -- with apologies to Cristian! (I'm glad you enjoyed it. The footage at the beginning was when he was in the police station, having just been arrested, with Fonteyn, for being at a party in San Francisco at which marijuana was another guest. I've always been amazed that he could have been that calm and cool, when he must have been terrified -- it could have meant deportation.