This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Greetings from Cambridge

mjbelkin

Hello everyone :dunno:

My name is Melanie and I live in Cambridge in the UK.

I'm originally from London, and still go back regularly to watch ballet at the Royal Opera House. I mostly see the Royal Ballet, but also usually get to see a couple of performances by the Kirov and the Bolshoi when they tour. I've got tickets for La Bayadere and Don Quixote for the Bolshoi at the Colisseum (usually home of the ENO).

My favourite ballets have to be the two MacMillan productions Romeo and Juliet, and Manon, both of which usually reduce me to tears at the end.

I look forward to chatting with you all.

Welcome Melanie, very glad to greet you. I did my 'semester abroad' at Cambridge when I was at college in the U.S., and was just back there this past February. The modern city elements have encroached much more than I remembered, but still, it was lovely to re-visit my old college(s) and favorite haunts. And the weather was much better than the blizzard I left in the States. I, too, went to see the Royal Ballet (and visiting ABT) during my long weekend in England, and would have loved to have stayed to see more.

Welcome to Ballet Talk, Melanie; it's very nice to have you with us. I, too, go to London regularly to see Royal Ballet, usually in the early part of the year. January in London is wonderful, not only because of ballet but because the museums and art galleries are virtually empty!! We hope you enjoy sharing in our discussions; we all love ballet, and we love talking about it.

Giannina

4mrdncr - which college were you at? My brother was at King's, many years ago, and I managed a brief stint working at Downing. WHich RB performance did you see?

Giannina - you've hit on another favourite of mine, museums. I can spend hours in the British Museum.

4mrdncr - which college were you at? My brother was at King's, many years ago, and I managed a brief stint working at Downing. WHich RB performance did you see?

Giannina - you've hit on another favourite of mine, museums. I can spend hours in the British Museum.

In answer to your questions (but off-ballet-topic I know)...

I was based at Newnham, but the dons who taught were mostly from St. Catherine's (supposedly the artsy college?), with one from Sidney Sussex; also had classes at New College. Of course the whole time I was there I tried to catch all the services/concerts at Kings that I could, and attended others at St. John's. My favorite quad though was G&Q's (sp?) with the lavender. And of course Auntie's scones--tho' price has tripled since I was last there. During my college years the "trivial pursuit" was to find the quad used in the "Chariots of Fire" film race--only to be told exams were in progress during filming so a separate boys public school was used instead.

I also visited a few museums in London this past Feb. (didn't have time to go to Cambridge's Fitzwilliam this time): The Tate Britain (ie. old Tate) especially to see the Pre-Raphaelites, (and Augustus John's portrait of T.E.Lawrence--which wasn't on view for cleaning?) but enjoyed almost everything else there too. And tried to swing by the Imperial War Museum and Globe Theatre.

I saw the Royal Ballet's "Swan Lake" and did a review for BT at that time.