This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Cendrillon 31 May-June 14

Tomorrow 30 May 2007 at 7:30pm the curtain will rise at the royal swedish opera on Christoph Maillot's production of Cendrillon! It's the first time the company dances this production, but however, the well-known production by Sir Frederick Ashton enterd the repertoire in 1991.

There is 2 casts divided over 8 performances:

The Good fairy: Nadja Sellrup/Sarah Medley

The Father: Nikolaus Fotiadis/Anders Nordström

Cinderella: Nathalie Nordquist/Anna Valev

The Prince: Oscar Salomonsson/Jan-Erik Wikström

The Stephmother: Katariina Edling/Nicole Rhodes

1st Stephsister: Katja Björner/Jenny Nilson

2nd Stephsister: Gina Tse/Jeanette Diaz Barboza

1st (Superintendent): Jan-Erik Wikström/Olof Westring

2nd (Superintendent): Jens Rosén/Joakim Stephenson

Her's a link to some photos: http://www.operan.se/templates/ListingIndex.aspx?id=701

I'm looking forward to see this ballet very much (I'm gonna see the premiere :) )!!

It seems good and interesting and the music is of course wonderful!

It would be fun to see some other reviews from people who will be able to see a performance, and hear other opinions.

:clapping: Vissi!!!

Tomorrow 30 May 2007 at 7:30pm the curtain will rise at the royal swedish opera on Christoph Maillot's production of Cendrillon! It's the first time the company dances this production, but however, the well-known production by Sir Frederick Ashton enterd the repertoire in 1991.

There is 2 casts divided over 8 performances:

The Good fairy: Nadja Sellrup/Sarah Medley

The Father: Nikolaus Fotiadis/Anders Nordström

Cinderella: Nathalie Nordquist/Anna Valev

The Prince: Oscar Salomonsson/Jan-Erik Wikström

The Stephmother: Katariina Edling/Nicole Rhodes

1st Stephsister: Katja Björner/Jenny Nilson

2nd Stephsister: Gina Tse/Jeanette Diaz Barboza

1st (Hovintendent): Jan-Erik Wikström/Olof Westring

2nd (Hovintendent): Jens Rosén/Joakim Stephenson

Her's a link to some photos: http://www.operan.se/templates/ListingIndex.aspx?id=701

I'm looking forward to see this ballet very much (I'm gonna see the premiere :clapping: )!!

It seems good and interesting and the music is of course wonderful!

It would be fun to see some other reviews from people who will be able to see a performance, and hear other opinions.

:) Vissi!!!

Hej Vissi d' arte

Well here is my opinion of the Cendrillon performance of the 31st May.

I loved it, and from the reaction of most the the people around me there was a buzz in the audience.

The casting was good, and the dancers were having a great time.

Sarah Medley was outstanding as the good fairy, from the begining , to the end I totally believed in her.

It was announced that she is to join Monte Carlö Ballet next season. What a loss for the RSB This versatile dancer will be hard to replace, but deserves to be seen on the world stage.

HI!

Yupps I saw the premiere and I loved it! What a funny, sad, tragic and beautiful ballet!

The opening night was attended by the royal family, so it was a bit of a gala feeling. There was also a very special person in the audience...yes that's right, BARYSHNIKOV!!! :flowers:

He's in Sweden right now working on a duett created for him and Ana Laguna by Mats Ek! They are performing it this autum at Dansens Hus in Stockholm! :angel_not:

As I said there was reel gala feeling, everyone was dressed in there finest, and there was photographers in the entrance!

The Swedish Royal Ballet is actually the first company to dance this production outside Maillot's own Monte-Carlo ballet!

The curtain went up and wow what a performance, you could really feel the dancers energy, and it really looked like they enjoyed their time! The only thing I didn't like to much was the story in the story, because it felt a bit pointless to have the god fairy tell Cinderella how her story should end before she's even transformed to go to the ball.??

Oopps sorry maybe I should tell the synopsis since it's a bit different from for example sir Frderick Ashton's more famous version!

The ballet is divided into three acts but starts with a...

Prologue:

In her solitude, Cinderella remebers her childhood with her Mother and Father -now a lost family, happiness and love. Left is the sorrow and anguish after the mothers death, that Cinderella and her father share in dreams and the present.

ACT I Scene 1. Cinderella's house

The Father, in the light of his new family, is not the same. With the Stephmother and the Stephsisters, Cinderella discovers the violence of powerstruggels, rejection, ill will and tyrannical gestures.

A strange messenger (the Fairy in disguise) put's an end to the quarrels. She brings an invitation from the Prince for the court ball.

Scene 2.Cinderella's house

The Pleasure Superintendents bring the ball dresses, exhibited on four Mannequins, half human, half mecanical figures, giving the impression of a fashion show.

Cinderella becomes aware of the invitation but her new family makes fun of her and sends her ack to her lentil dish.

Scene 3. Entrance of the Prince

The Prince appears in company with his friends. He tries to give meaning to his life by small pleasures, which disappoint him as soon as they are satisfied. The Superintendents are busy with the preparations.

Scene 4. The story within the story

The Fairy shows Cinderella a caricatured and grotesque version of the story.

She dresses the girl in the dress her mother was wearing at her last ball. Cinderella's foot comes sequinned out of her lentil dish. The Fairy warns her that sequins are gragile, volatile and will lose their wonderful properties if Cinderella forgets this essential quality.

Scene 5. Vision of the ball.

ACT II.

Scene 6. The ball.

The Prince sits on his throne and looks at the courtesans without much interest. The stephmother and the stephsisters try to seduce him. The Fairy arrives and gives the prince a message. Cinderella's Father recognizes his first wife in the Fairy.

Cinderella enters, the Prince kneels before her feet and discovers love with humility.

Scene 7. Midnight.

Cinderella begins to take pleasure in the courtesans' mirrors. It is time for the Fairy to bring Cinderella back on the right path. At the top of the stairs, her bare foot appears in the light-the only trace of her being there and an invitation to find her again.

ACT III

Scene 8. The Prince's travel.

The Prince and his friends travel aimlessly to find the beautiful unknown girl with sketch of her foot. He discovers the country of red and yellow exotics. Although tempted, he doesn't recognize the foot he is looking for.

The Fairy guides him to Cinderella.

Scene 9. Cinderella's house

The Sisters get ready to seduce the Prince, but the feet he discovers under the bandages are black and bruised. Cinderella's foot however unveils in the purity of its whiteness. The Prince recognizes Cinderella at onces.

Scene 10. Epilog

Rejecting his second wife, the Father waltzes with the Fairy/Cinderella's Mother. Dancing their love again he accompanies her down to her last breath, until death cancels remorse.

Oooh isn't it a beautiful retelling of the story.?? :off topic:

Anyway I liked this ballet very much and I'm going to see it again!!

The dancers were very good especially Nadja Sellrup as the Fairy, now this is a dancer you have to look out for. She embodied the Fairy, she was funny, withy, scary, good and beautiful at the same time. You could also see she was the mother of Cinderella by the way she hold her in her arms and her gestures. She also could portray a young woman in love, in the prologue, and her death was tragic.

Nathalie Nordquist was the most charming Cinderella. Nathalie is a strong dancer and her personality really goes over the ramp and out into the auditorium. The choreography suited her very well and wow what a nice jump she has!

Katariina Edling was THe Stephmother!!! She was mean, sexy, evil, charming, all plastic surgery diva. I loved her!

Nikolaus Fotiadis was very good as the Father, and you really felt for him. The ending i thought was so sad when the Father is left alone.

Jan-Erik Wikström and Jens Rosén as the Pleasure Superintendents were hilarious. They were really everywere and enoying and charming at the same time!! haha

All the dancers in the corps were also good, not together all the time, but boy those were many steps at a short time, sometimes it got almost hysterical (loved it)!!!

This is a ballet well worth seeing. It's classical, it's modern, it's beautiful, tragic, funny, sexy...everything. Not to speak about the sets and the costumes and of course Prokofiev's glorious music!!

Cendrillon will start of the next season in September together with MacMillan's Romeo and Juliet!

See it! :flowers: