This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ib Andersen's New Ballet "play"

I just received a postcard in the mail for the June 8-10 performances of Ib Andersen's new ballet, called play. Back in April, in a pre-performance talk, he mentioned that he had completed 25 minutes of the ballet, at which point the selections were by Mozart and Britten. Also he (half-?) joked, "Wish me luck," but it's pretty obvious from this list of composers that he and the dancers have been busy.

Here are the musical selections on the website:

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Twelve Variations on "Ah, vous dirai-je Maman" K.265

Franz Schubert - Andante from OCTET in F major D. 803

Benjamin Britten - Prelude and Fugue for 18-part String Orchestra, Op. 29

Arvo Pärt - Cantus in Memory of Britten** and Festina Lente

Igor Stravinsky - Suite no. 2 and Pulcincella Suite

**Used by Susan Marshall in Kiss and three times in a row in Dancing on the Front Porch of Heaven.

On the front of the card, there's a wonderful photo of Natalia Magnicaballi and, I think, Astrit Zejnati in what looks like a moving lift. (The dancers aren't identified.) On the mailing side is a great photo of Joseph Cavanaugh in mid-leap. (Definitely poster material.)

If you click on the link above, and then click on the corner of the picture with the text "World Premiere," there is a two-photo spread with a slightly different angle on the lift, and the photo of Cavanaugh.