This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

:unsure:Hi, I am very petite (4'10") and even more so when I sit.

Because of my keen interest in observing a ballet dancer's positions and facial expressions, I'd like to know how close to the stage I should seat without skewing my perspective of the dancer. How about the front row in the center section of the balcony section (I think at the Met Opera, it is referred to as the Parterre section)....how will its distance and field of view compare to that of the ideal seats in the orchestra section?

Naturally, I would prefer to watch the dancer(s) without the aid of binoculars.

If you can find a Center Parterre seat, power to you! Most of them are "owned" by subscribers. You might want to try a seat in a box.

The next level up from Parterre is the Grand Tier. A Front seat in one of the Rear boxes (the last two or three) will move you closer to the stage, and you should still have a relatively unskewed view. As you move closer, of course, your viewing angle grows more acute. I don't believe they sell boxes over the net.

A big problem with the orchestra is the dip in the first few rows. I know you're not considering there, but if anyone else is interested, I'm 5'6" and have trouble seeing feet from row H or closer.

Let us know how you do, what you see and your reactions, agnes.

The Orchestra has a center section flanked by a left side and a right side. Aisle seats are numbered 1 and 2. You'll see the feet from row K or further back, and the wide aisles will give you a few rows worth of head free unobstructed viewing. It would take a lot of luck to get one of these seats as they are the closest ones with completely unobstructed full stage view. Lots of critics seem to get them...

I don't know whether they still do it, but they used to provide a cushion on request for a viewer that would have an obvious need for one. You could call in advance to find out.

Thanks Carbro and drb. I did manage to snag a first row center section Parterre seat to La Bayadere for the evening show on 5/18. There is indeed a God looking out for me. Considering that this is the FIRST EVER ballet performance that I will be watching, sounds like I didn't do too badly with my seat choice.

Interesting tip drb about the aisle seats. I'll definitely look out for those from Row K. And I will be sure to bring my seat cushion. I've actually seen one person do that at one of the theatre musicals I watched.

"You done good", Agnes. Since you are so tiny I would still take something upon which to sit, just in case: coat, pillow, whatever. Even in the first row of a balcony you might be below the top of the balcony railing.

On the aisle seats: be sure to take note on which was they slant; if they slant one way they do not serve the purpose while if they slant the other way they do. You just have to look at them and study.

From 5'2" Giannina

Giannina, :thanks: too for your tips! You know something? If you really are located in Brea CA, then we are practically neighbors :pinch: . I live in Tustin CA, just a few miles south along the I-5 fwy. If you like, we could perhaps attend a ballet performance in the LA area? Seeing how neither one of us are statuesque swans, we'll surely be interested in seating in the same theatre location.

That would be great. I don't go into LA as much as I used to cuz of senior citizen driving problems (yup, I'm a a little old lady), but I'm at Orange County Performing Arts Center whenever ballet comes. I can help you a lot with finding good seat locations there. Also Cerritos Performing Arts Center, of whatever it's called, and Barclay Theater in Irvine.

You didn't say where you were seeing this ballet; I probably should know but I don't.

Giannina

Color me crazy... or not :thanks: . I am flying to New York on 5/18/07 to specifically watch the 8:00 pm show of Le Bayadere at the Metropolitan Opera (Lincoln Center). Then, will quite likely loiter around Central Park and Park Ave, possibly Times Square for the rest of the weekend before jetting back to the left coast on Monday afternoon.

Let's do keep in touch about ballet events and such around the LA/OC areas. I quite enjoy being the designated driver in a carpool. Though like you, I am an OC person, and am quite familiar with the new OC Performing Arts Center and Irvine Barclay Theatre....both within my 'backyard'.

:pinch:

Giannina, would you happen to know of any ballet teachers in OC who are trained in and teach Russian style ballet?

Agnes ... no, I don't know anything about ballet schools. You might get more info on our sister site, Ballet Talk for Dancers. You can access it at the upper right hand corner of this page. Registration is the same as on this site; and if you do register use your same name so that we know who you are. That site is for dance students and has tons of information.

Giannina