This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Casting for first 2 weeks of 2007 Spring Season @ The Met

Here's the official announcement of the first two weeks of casting:

CASTING ANNOUNCED FOR FIRST TWO WEEKS OF

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE’S 2007 SPRING SEASON

AT METROPOLITAN OPERA HOUSE

Alessandra Ferri to Debut in Othello, Thursday Evening, May 24

Casting for the first two weeks of American Ballet Theatre’s 2007 Spring Season at the Metropolitan Opera House was announced today by Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie.

The Company will give eight performances of Natalia Makarova’s La Bayadère beginning Tuesday evening, May 15, led by Paloma Herrera, Angel Corella and Gillian Murphy. At the matinee on Wednesday, May 16, Veronika Part will dance Nikiya for the first time with ABT opposite Marcelo Gomes, who will debut in the role of Solor. Diana Vishneva will dance Nikiya for the first time with ABT at the evening performance on Wednesday, May 16. Other debuts for the week include David Hallberg as Solor on Thursday, May 17 and Maxim Beloserkovsky as Solor at the matinee on Saturday, May 19. In addition, Irina Dvorovenko will dance the role of Nikiya for the first time in New York at the matinee on May 19.

The New York Revival Premiere of Lar Lubovitch’s Othello will take place on Tuesday, May 22, with Julie Kent and Marcelo Gomes in the leading roles. Blaine Hoven will debut as Cassio at the matinee on Wednesday, May 23 and Alessandra Ferri will dance the role of Desdemona for the first time on Thursday, May 24. Othello received its Revival Premiere on January 11, 2007 at The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, D.C.

The second week will continue with a Repertory Program featuring George Balanchine’s Symphonie Concertante and Sir Frederick Ashton’s The Dream. Xiomara Reyes will debut as Titania in the season’s first performance of The Dream on Friday, May 25, opposite Ethan Stiefel as Oberon and Herman Cornejo as Puck. Gillian Murphy and David Hallberg will dance the leading roles for the first time at the matinee on Saturday, May 26.

Countrywide Financial is the National Sponsor of American Ballet Theatre. Superfund Asset Management, Inc. and Northern Trust are the sponsors of ABT’s Metropolitan Opera House Season. The 2007 Metropolitan Opera House season is also made possible with public funds from the National Endowment for the Arts, the New York State Council on the Arts, a state agency, and the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs.

Tickets for American Ballet Theatre’s 2007 Metropolitan Opera House season, priced $24-$110, are available at the Met box office, online, or by phone at 212-362-6000. The Metropolitan Opera House is located on Broadway between 64th and 65th streets in New York City. For more information, visit ABT’s website at www.abt.org <http://www.abt.org/> .

Complete casting follows:

FIRST WEEK

Mon. Eve., May 14, 6:30 P.M. GALA – LA BAYADÈRE – Act II Shades

THE SLEEPING BEAUTY (Excerpts) –

Lilac Fairy (Act III) – Wiles; Rose Adagio – Part;

Act II Variation – Vishneva;

Act III Grand Pas – Dvorovenko, Beloserkovsky

PIÈCE D’OCCASION – Lang Lang; Abrera, Radetsky

ROMEO AND JULIET Balcony Pas de Deux – Reyes, Cornejo

OTHELLO Act III Pas de Deux – Ferri, Gomes

SWAN LAKE Act III Pas de Deux – Ananiashvili, Corella

MANON Act I Pas de Deux – Kent, Carreño

LA BAYADÈRE (Act I excerpts) -

Temple Pas de Deux – Herrera, Hallberg;

Gamzatti Pas D’Action Variation – Murphy;

Solor Pas D’Action Variation – Stiefel;

Pas D’Action Coda

Tues. Eve., May 15, 8 P.M. LA BAYADÈRE – Herrera, Corella, Murphy

Wed. Mat., May 16, 2 P.M. LA BAYADÈRE – Part+, Gomes*, Wiles

Wed. Eve., May 16, 8 P.M. LA BAYADÈRE – Vishneva+, Stiefel, Abrera

Thurs. Eve., May 17, 8 P.M. LA BAYADÈRE – Herrera, Hallberg*, Murphy

Fri. Eve., May 18, 8 P.M. LA BAYADÈRE – Part, Gomes, Wiles

Sat. Mat., May 19, 2 P.M. LA BAYADÈRE – Dvorovenko**, Beloserkovsky*, Murphy

Sat. Eve., May 19, 8 P.M. LA BAYADÈRE – Vishneva, Stiefel, Abrera

SECOND WEEK

Mon. Eve., May 21, 8 P.M. LA BAYADÈRE – Ananiashvili, Carreño, Dvorovenko

Tues. Eve., May 22, 8 P.M. OTHELLO – Gomes**, Kent, Radetsky**, Abrera**, Cornejo**

Wed. Mat., May 23, 2 P.M. OTHELLO – Hallberg**, Murphy**, Beloserkovsky**, Butler**,

Hoven*

Wed. Eve., May 23, 8 P.M. OTHELLO – R. Thomas**, Reyes**, Lopez**, Riccetto**,

Matthews**

Thurs. Eve., May 24, 8 P.M. OTHELLO – Gomes, Ferri*, Radetsky, Abrera, Cornejo

Fri. Eve., May 25, 8 P.M. SYMPHONIE CONCERTANTE – Kent, Herrera, Gomes;

THE DREAM – Reyes*, Stiefel, Cornejo

Sat. Mat., May 26, 2 P.M. SYMPHONIE CONCERTANTE – Wiles, Part, Beloserkovsky;

THE DREAM – Murphy*, Hallberg*, Lopez

Sat. Eve., May 26, 8 P.M. SYMPHONIE CONCERTANTE – Abrera**, Murphy, Malakhov;

THE DREAM – Kent, Gomes, Cornejo

*Please note: first time in a role:

Wed. Mat., May 16 – Gomes (Solor) in La Bayadère

Thurs. Eve., May 17 – Hallberg (Solor) in La Bayadère

Sat. Mat., May 18 – Beloserkovsky (Solor) in La Bayadère

Wed. Mat., May 23 – Hoven (Cassio) in Othello

Thurs. Eve., May 24 – Ferri (Desdemona) in Othello

Fri. Eve., May 25 – Reyes in The Dream

Sat. Mat., May 26 – Murphy, Hallberg in The Dream

**Please note: first time in a role in New York:

Sat. Mat., May 19 – Dvorovenko (Nikiya) in La Bayadère

Tue. Eve., May 22 – Gomes (Othello), Radetsky (Iago), Abrera (Emilia), Cornejo (Cassio) in Othello

Wed. Mat., May 23 – Hallberg (Othello), Murphy (Desdemona), Beloserkovsky (Iago), Butler (Emilia)

in Othello

Wed. Eve., May 23 – R. Thomas (Othello), Reyes (Desdemona), Lopez (Iago), Riccetto (Emilia),

Matthews (Cassio) in Othello

Sat. Eve., May 26 – Abrera in Symphonie Concertante

+Please note: first time in a role with ABT:

Wed. Mat., May 16 – Part (Nikiya) in La Bayadère

Wed. Eve., May 16 – Vishneva (Nikiya) in La Bayadère

"May 16, Veronika Part will dance Nikiya".

Now how do I possibly get to NYC May 16 from Detroit ? I've already gone through my ballet piggy bank for the year.

Has "Startreck" perfected it's time travel machine yet ?

Haglund's, Help! Any ideas ?

Now how do I possibly get to NYC May 16 from Detroit ? I've already gone through my ballet piggy bank for the year.

Buddy, I think your ballet budget needs some re-jiggering if it's exhausted already, by May, and before the ABT season! Have you investigated the bus?

Did someone mention travel? :off topic:

One warning - my brother's coming in from the UK for those dates, so being the family "travel agent" I have been researching NY accommodations. They're through the roof - it's graduation for some of the universities. Unless you have a friend to stay with, you're looking at $250+ to stay anywhere non-horrendous in Manhattan.

As for transportation - move quickly, but I'm still seeing under $200 rt fares from DTW-NYC on USAir - also try Spirit and AirTran.

Good luck!

Unless you have a friend to stay with, you're looking at $250+ to stay anywhere non-horrendous in Manhattan.

Good luck!

I hope this isn't too off-topic (moderaters, feel free to delete me!), but perhaps this will be useful to those coming from out of town for a ballet weekend. There is a hostel on Amsterdam and 105th Street here, offering bare-bones but clean accommodations at very reasonable rates. I recently stayed at the hostel in Washington DC and while it's definitely bare-bones, the price was incredible and made the whole trip feasible. See the hostelling international website.

Has "Startreck" perfected it's time travel machine yet ?

Haglund's, Help! Any ideas ?

How often I've wished for that Star Trek Transporter while stuck on the A train. If you're serious about the trip, note that the May 16 performance is a matinee. Ms. Part will dance Nikiya again on the 18th in the evening.

What a nice surprise to see that Abrera and Radetsky will be doing the Piece d'Occasion on Opening Night. I remember last year, Abrera was to have been featured with Saveliev in the Piece d'Occasion based on the operatic aria Shadow Dance with soprano Ruth Ann Swenson. But Ms. Swenson got sick and had to bow out; so they cancelled that part of Opening Night. How nice to see this couple finally featured together on the Met stage.

With regard to the hostel on Amsterdam and 105th, I actually stayed there in 1990. It was interesting being in a room with 4 bunk beds and being the only one of eight people who spoke English (plus being in a foot cast and on crutches while searching for a NYC apartment added to the uniqueness of the experience.) My memory recalls that it was a good deal, reasonably safe, and not unpleasant. However, I'd probably not make it a first or second choice.

With regard to the hostel on Amsterdam and 105th, I actually stayed there in 1990. It was interesting being in a room with 4 bunk beds and being the only one of eight people who spoke English (plus being in a foot cast and on crutches while searching for a NYC apartment added to the uniqueness of the experience.) My memory recalls that it was a good deal, reasonably safe, and not unpleasant. However, I'd probably not make it a first or second choice.

Unbeknownst to myself, one of my university roommates is in charge of our reunion and about a month ago, I was conscripted into attending. (Having my priorities straight, I will be attending both the Part and Vishneva performances of "Bayadere" that Wednesday before steeling myself for three days of self-congratulatory cocktail parties throughout Manhattan).

That weekend is extremely difficult, but after A LOT of research, I found the Pod Hotel in midtown East offering rooms for as low as $150/nt and with some more research, I found it listed on a discount site for $120/nt. That was the best that I could do for an actual hotel (not a hostel) that I wasn't too worried about telling my mother about. Most of the places I stay in Manhattan (usually in the $100/nt range) have been booked for months apparently.

Might be the wrong place for this post. NYCB just made some major promotions mid-season. Will ABT do the same? I believe there are only 4 soloist women. Of the 4 Part is sure to be promoted to principal. Anyone have a crystal ball?

What a nice surprise to see that Abrera and Radetsky will be doing the Piece d'Occasion on Opening Night. I remember last year, Abrera was to have been featured with Saveliev in the Piece d'Occasion based on the operatic aria Shadow Dance with soprano Ruth Ann Swenson. But Ms. Swenson got sick and had to bow out; so they cancelled that part of Opening Night. How nice to see this couple finally featured together on the Met stage.

1. Maybe rehearsals for that explains missing their YAGP performance? Also glad Lang Lang is playing an additional solo. He is glorious.

2. Buddy, that hospice's neighborhood has upgraded since 1990, and is incredibly convenient. Exactly a two mile walk, straight down the Avenue to LC, a veritible tour of Manhattan life. And the local bus takes you right down it to LC as well. Also, you'd be two blocks from the subway on Broadway that lets you off right under LC. You may see some interesting locals, NYCB and ABT dancers, along either Avenue.

Does anyone know whether Suzanne Farrell's apartment has been granted official historical monument status?

Does anyone know whether Suzanne Farrell's apartment has been granted official historical monument status?
Not yet, but it falls within the Upper West Side Historic District and is thus protected from significant exterior alteration or demolition.

Wow, talk about taking a thread :):jawdrop:

Really sorry.

That weekend is extremely difficult, but after A LOT of research, I found the Pod Hotel in midtown East offering rooms for as low as $150/nt and with some more research, I found it listed on a discount site for $120/nt. That was the best that I could do for an actual hotel (not a hostel) that I wasn't too worried about telling my mother about. Most of the places I stay in Manhattan (usually in the $100/nt range) have been booked for months apparently.

Just a thought, but I've also stayed at the West Side YMCA on 63rd (2blocks from LCtr) for short stays--and instead of using the bathroom down the hall, used the health club facilities on the lower floors (including better showers, saunas, amenities.) Single private rooms were under $100/night at the time. I also got free use of the health facilities--including classes--because I teach Pilates (what else do former dancers do?!) for the Y back in MA.