This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Sleeping Beauty

But PLEASE let's not call it the "ultimate...most complete...most authentic..."
C'mon, Natalia! You know they just can't help themselves. After all, we're talking about "AMERICA'S NATIONAL BALLET COMPANY®" (the "shout" :) as cut and pasted directly from the company's own website ).

Humility isn't in their nature.

How can Aurora have a 100 year sleep, when Kevin's libretto calls for a minimum

200 year leap in the timeline? Does it make sense to take the scenery and concept and jump

from the middle ages to the early 17th century? Is Lilac supposed to be Dr. Who, and

Aurora and her court supposed to be time travelers? Maybe I'm thinking too hard.

Secondly, this sounds about as unauthentic as it could possibly be. One would think the

Maryinsky's 1890 production concept were as complex as this, but it isn't. And yes,

where is Act 3? I think, either do it all, complete, or revive the 1941 "Aurora

Wedding," or do nothing. But please, don't cut Act 3 when you advertise the new production as

"after Petipa" and "authentic."

Kirkland Coaching Vishneva

This article, in which Diana Vishneva gives her interpretation of Aurora, is on Newsday.com today, but since it seems it may not be published in print until May 20, I was told I could post it here rather than on Links:

...when Vishneva - bedecked in leopard-spotted tights, a striped shirt and a white practice tutu - points a voluptuous leg to the floor in one of the princess heroine's solos, Kirkland suggests a more chaste approach: "Maybe you could remember all the gifts the fairies gave you in the prologue." Vishneva... feels a bit anxious in this initial rehearsal with the redoubtable Kirkland. But if anyone could get a leg to convey sincerity, fervor, charity, joy and valor, it is certainly Vishneva.

"For me, every step is a word," she has said. "When I dance, it's like I'm reading poetry to the people. I discover when to 'say' something loudly, when to keep silent, when to make my tone lower." ...

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/arts/...-arts-headlines

I received an email advertisement from ABT today regarding their new Sleeping Beauty. It placed great emphasis on the importance of the balances in the Rose Adagio and the mental steel required to do them:

The story of The Sleeping Beauty may be simple, but its choreography is some of the most demanding in ballet, and the role of Aurora is particularly challenging. In the famous Rose Adagio, for example, Aurora greets each of her suitors en pointe in attitude and then must hold an extended balance with her arms gracefully above her head until the next one approaches. It takes exceptional control and strength, not to mention rock-solid nerves.

It's interesting how they are encouraging the audience to expect a very sound performance in that respect.

In reviewing the premiere casting, it seems that it would be so simple to just switch the lead roles and give us Murphy as Aurora and Part as Lilac. Maybe that is their backup plan if things look iffy as the premiere date approaches. Murphy only has one SB matinee performance, which in itself, looks suspicious.

Well, Murphy now will be doing two SBs. She replaces Kent June 2, evening with Stiefel. And Wiles will be Lilac opening night.
Rosa, where did you see this? ABT's calendar still shows Kent on June 2, as does the printout I picked up at the Met on 5/29. The third source of info, the Met's website, is down for maintenance.
Is it possible Kent could be the backup if it is decided Part won't perform opening night?

Surely they have decided this by now. If Part were going to be out, it would have been announced shortly after the opening gala.

Hey -- after last night's performance, and many other similar ones, I have to wonder if those guys up there in the lighting booth know that their voices carry out over the whole Family Circle. I've never noticed this during opera. Is it a different crew for ABT, or do they figure that with the FC much less full during ballet, people won't hear?

Is it possible Kent could be the backup if it is decided Part won't perform opening night?

they wouldn't pull someone off a night on the off chance they were going to replace someone. At least it seems incredibly unlikely.

I hope Kent is ok!

:wacko: All this "will she or won't she" talk is most depressing......it seems she cannot be forgiven for her Gala slip up.....There is no ABT ballerina I would rather see tomorrow night as Aurora....(I saw Vishneva in the Kirov restoration :dunno: )

:wacko: All this "will she or won't she" talk is most depressing......it seems she cannot be forgiven for her Gala slip up.....There is no ABT ballerina I would rather see tomorrow night as Aurora....(I saw Vishneva in the Kirov restoration :dunno: )

I agree atm711. I'm not discounting the Rose Adagio, but I can't wait to see Part in the whole of the ballet.

I agree atm711. I'm not discounting the Rose Adagio, but I can't wait to see Part in the whole of the ballet.

Have I missed something? Why all this talk about Part possibily being pulled from tomorrow's opening? Like Dale, I can't wait to see Part's Aurora this weekend!

Have I missed something? Why all this talk about Part possibily being pulled from tomorrow's opening? Like Dale, I can't wait to see Part's Aurora this weekend!
Nor can I. I'm getting excited! :jumpy smiley:

The will she/won't she is idle speculation carried over from the gala thread in response to VP's literal faux pas in the Opening Night's Rose Adagio. I repeat, idle speculation.

I've never known a dancer to lose a role for messing up a single performance. And :( I've seen some really messed up performances!

After reading Dunning's article in the Times today I can only hope that Kirkland doen't overemphasize the character of Aurora to the detriment of the ballerina.....I would feel better if she admonished them to 'just dance' :( All this overanalysis---it's not Medea.

After reading Dunning's article in the Times today I can only hope that Kirkland doen't overemphasize the character of Aurora to the detriment of the ballerina.....I would feel better if she admonished them to 'just dance' :( All this overanalysis---it's not Medea.

Absolutely, atm711! This is supposed to be the most purely classical of ballerina roles. Acting has never been the thing. I am perplexed by Kirkland's approach. I hope that we don't get a mad scene (a la Giselle) from Aurora when she pricks her finger with the knitting needle.

Acting is an important element in Sleeping Beauty? No! No! Swan Lake, and Giselle, the acting is essential. It is what separates great ballerinas from good ones- that ability to project two different characters in the same ballet.

I consider SB a ballet that is a really a dance exercise. Puss n boots and Carabose gets to act more than Aurora and the Prince. If you try to put in a dramatic element, it will probably come oot as comical. A definite no-no!!!!! :huh::mad::(

One thing I must mention before I attend the opening night is that what we will see this evening will be a work in progress.

Remember the first season of the McKenzie "Swan Lake" where McKenzie interpolated a solo for Siegfried into the "untouchable" second act grand pas? It disappeared the second season for the totally traditional Ivanov version.

So whatever happens tonight - no Puss n' Boots and White Cat, no Little Red Riding Hood, a post-spindle mad scene for Aurora, cerebral overintepretation, a shaky Rose Adagio from Part... that all may change by next week or definitely when this production returns in the future.

Let's give it a chance and keep our judgments at bay until it is seen before an audience. The costumes look pretty and appropriate as seen on the opening night gala. Tony Walton's sets look pretty in the sketches, photos and drawings I have seen. That is what can't be changed. Casting, choreography, staging, interpretation can all be adjusted in the future.

If Kirkland's second book is anything to go by, it's hard to imagine that she didn't coach every last gesture with a backstory.

Indeed, from Kevin McK in today's Times piece:

"Where our process differs is that she will attack the whole thing at once. She will teach the first tombé pas de bourrée with all its meaning and its back story, the character and what's happening at that moment . . . "

:(