This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Alessandra Ferri

artist

In regards to her retirement in March from La Scala and June from ABT,

what are some memories of her that you can reminisce on?

What do you think were her greatest/strongest of emotions and/or technique - in terms of specific roles/ballets?

Are there any performances that you've seen that you wish were on dvd?

What recordings would you recommend that would typically spotlight her zenith?

Alessandra retires from ballet on August 10. TONY has just posted an extensive interview with her, with much NYC-specific detail (Baryshnikov as teacher/partner is wonderful). Her first retirement was from La Scala, in March, as artist reported above:

Well, there’s something really emotional about doing your last performance, but for the one in Milan, it turned out to be a beautiful evening. I was born there, so it was a big deal. And when I did the last performance, it was actually a very happy scene. I thought it was going to be very sad, and instead it was just a very happy feeling. I saw so many people loving me and caring, which I didn’t even realize. So I said, “No it’s right” and thank God I did because those will be wonderful memories to have.

She retires from ABT, New York (the city where she lives, and as the interview notes, where she has chosen to school her children) as Juliet on June 23. Here she reflects on her life as Juliet:

It was a role that I always wanted to do. When I joined the Royal Ballet, I felt Juliet in every pore of my skin. Everything fascinated me about the story, about her, about that time in Italy—I knew what the clothes were like, the bells of the churches. There are things that, as Italians, we have in our blood. Juliet was in my DNA. So in a way, my first performance was just a blur. It all came out like a big bomb exploded. I thought about it so much. It’s probably been 25 years that I’ve been doing the role now, and it’s changed a lot—there is different shading, certain things are calmer. It has colored itself differently, but it has been fascinating to have it with me my whole life. I actually did Manon before Juliet. I adore it. In the beginning I didn’t know what to do with the role. I was so young, but I think that’s what Kenneth wanted. The fact that Manon has no idea about what’s happening to her. She is so naïve in a way, even if she thinks she’s not. She’s not in control of anything. But Juliet definitely was for me, my life. I could think about Juliet day and night.

http://www.timeout.com/newyork/Details.do?...drama_queen.xml

In regards to her retirement in March from La Scala and June from ABT,

what are some memories of her that you can reminisce on?

What do you think were her greatest/strongest of emotions and/or technique - in terms of specific roles/ballets?

Are there any performances that you've seen that you wish were on dvd?

What recordings would you recommend that would typically spotlight her zenith?

The best performance I've ever seen in my life was Ferri's and Bolle's Dame aux Camélias at La Scala Theatre. Great!!! The best farewell she could give to the Italian theatre. It's really a pity in the U.S. you won't have the opportunity to see her Marguerite, for me, her best interpretation together with her Juliet. It's really a pity we won't have a dvd about those special performances, even if in Italy something could be showed at the tv in the future.

It will be possible to see Alessandra Ferri and Roberto Bolle in La Dame aux Camélias in Hamburg in July, as John Neumeier invited them after their performances in Milan.

I love also her Manon!

I think these are the roles that better fit her skills.

To see some pictures about La Dame you can go to La Scala Theatre web site. Here the direct link: http://www.teatroallascala.org/public/LaSc...gini/index.html