This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Romeo & Juliet

Interesting, I noticed on Ballet Talk for Dancers that someone mentioned that the students may no longer be dancing the role of Juliet. Is there any official word on this?

On the radio station WQXR, during Movado's commerical today, Peter Martins spoke about his new R&J production and stated that the casting will be "non-stars," "young, emerging" talent. Peter said nothing about his leads having been cast solely from SAB or otherwise.

Interesting, I noticed on Ballet Talk for Dancers that someone mentioned that the students may no longer be dancing the role of Juliet. Is there any official word on this?

Well, it does seem to look that way now that casting has been posted for the first week. There are NYCB dancers doing the lead-- Hyltin is the first Juliet. The others are Peck, Morgan (looks like she's a full member now) and Pereira (apprentice). So, at least some of our discussions are moot, since all these dancers have had experience dancing on the NYCB stage, albeit some more than others. Maybe non-apprentice SAB students will be in the second week...

I, for one, am excited that Hyltin is the original Juliet. She would have been my first choice had I been doing the casting!

-amanda

Well, it does seem to look that way now that casting has been posted for the first week. There are NYCB dancers doing the lead-- Hyltin is the first Juliet. The others are Peck, Morgan (looks like she's a full member now) and Pereira (apprentice).

Where exactly is this information posted? NYCB.org only has the first week of the season listed. Nothing yet for R&J.

Well, it does seem to look that way now that casting has been posted for the first week. There are NYCB dancers doing the lead-- Hyltin is the first Juliet. The others are Peck, Morgan (looks like she's a full member now) and Pereira (apprentice).

Where exactly is this information posted? NYCB.org only has the first week of the season listed. Nothing yet for R&J.

It's posted on this board, under NYCB just like this thread.

Moderator's note to insert link

Here: http://ballettalk.invisionzone.com/index.p...topic=24630&hl=

Edited by carbro

Are they likely to announce casting for the free dress rehearsal? I'm already going on May 1, and so if it's the same performers I'm not likely to stand in line for a ticket (especially as I suppose I'd have to arrive at 7 in the morning to get a seat, and that's kind of hard for someone living on Long Island).

Incredible turnout for the free tix. I got there late...820 and there were more than a thousand on a line snaking back and forth on the plaza in from of the NYS Theatre.

But by 1020 when I got my tix... there were two thousand as the line was as long and it was when they had given out the first 1000 or so tix. When I got to the window all that were left were left row O fouth ring. These would cost $15 at a "real" performance. I saw it coming when I got on line. I did the math and it was a no brainer.

I took the tix and went to the BO and bought some orchestra low L center seats for Wednesday 5.02.

Poorly handled promotion because they should have taken a different approach to the large crowd. One idea would be to simply give out numbers as people show up and so they can tell where they might get a ticket. After a few thousand you know you are going to be up in the clouds... and might just walk away or head to the BO and purchase a seat. I would have done that at 900, but the BO wasn't opened of course.

Having people stand around for 2+ hours was inconsiderate. They certainly could have started passing out the tix a lot earlier... even at 800 though they announced 900. It took 1.5+ hours to process 1,000 or so. NYCB had people pass out questionnaire forms for a data base... and small water bottles... like the NYC marathon.

The only two good things about the experince was the fine weather, and the people (and 30 or so dogs) on the line. Most were young it seemed. I was fortunate to have made the acquaintance of a Japanese woman next to me, who works as a NY correspendent for a Japanese news service. She is a ballet and opera lover and is translating one of Twyla Tharp's book... she also studies photography. Very interesting woman. I don't know that she will attend the rehearsal. I gave my tix away to someone back in the line... so I won't be sitting near her next week. (they didn't even say thanks!)

I will write to NYCB and tell them that they messed up a great idea in the execution. I hope that R+J is not all hype...

Oh well... I've wasted more time on lots of Sunday AMs...

I wasn't there, but the situation illustrates the old "time is money" adage. However, I remember lines snaking around and around to BUY tickets for several events: King Tut, the Barishnikov seasons, etc.

I think that given the publicity, most interested New Yorkers would have known that there would be obstacles of time, crowds and whatever. I'm hoping that the majority of people there will be new to Ballet. The Company probably did the best they could.

In part 6 of Tragic Love,

http://tragiclovenyc.com/movie_src/episode6.html

Peter Martins explains why and how the score has been condensed without losing any of the music. Sounds like a well-conceived effort; and, for me, surely welcome, especially if it obviates the dull filler choreography, induced by the long-winded score, that clutters other versions.

Another problem they solved was with the State Theater pit. It is not large enough to hold all the musicians required.

[

We've had segments on the music, the fencing, the sets, the secondary characters. Do you think we'll get a segment on Romeo and Juliet themselves?

The TragicLoveNYC website does have a Q&A with Romeo Mr. Fairchild. And The Winger has a couple of casual Hyltin/Fairchild photos. As to whether there will be a video segment on R+J themselves, the suspense keeps building...

There are NO DEBUTS in any roles for the posted casts for the second week of Romeo and Juliet. This is certainly an awkward situation for any SAB Juliets, especially those who appeared in recent articles and on magazine covers.

There are NO DEBUTS in any roles for the posted casts for the second week of Romeo and Juliet. This is certainly an awkward situation for any SAB Juliets, especially those who appeared in recent articles and on magazine covers.

"For never was a story of more woe

Than this of Juliet and her Romeo.

Exeunt"

Part of me has been dreading this R&J and part of me has been all excited about it. After watching the Hyltin and Fairhchild ep on the site, I have to say I am leaning a LOT more to the latter side. I still have no doubt Hyltin will be great, but I was clueless about R. Fairchild. But, watching them together, even in rehearsal, did give me some chills. There is something to be said about seeing young ones doing the parts. Can't wait now until next week!

-amanda

Having seen a rehearsal today (open to NYCB donors), I have to say I am quite relieved. Some definite oddities in musical placement (themes appear when not expected) and some questinable moves (Juliet puling a dead Romeo down steps, on his back) notwithstanding, I was pleased by quite a few of his choices and pleasantly surprised by Hyltin's Juliet. Robbie Fairchild's performance was at the level I expected: young, passionate, enthusiastic, and well-danced.