This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT at Kennedy Center, January 9-14

Well, how about a new kind of subscription package called "Debuts" wherein the subscriber is assured of seeing fresh new faces in the principal roles? That would probably sell like crazy at NYCB, but would also do well for ABT.
In a way, my very first subscription to NYCB on Saturday afternoons functioned that way, although I didn't realize it when I bought it. I loved seeing young dancers get chances at new roles.

I would buy this in a second.

I think this is a fantastic idea.

In a way, my very first subscription to NYCB on Saturday afternoons functioned that way, although I didn't realize it when I bought it. I loved seeing young dancers get chances at new roles.
At ABT it's called the Wednesday Matinee. Not the most convenient for most people. Having more than earned the time, I once took a late lunch to see Cheryl Yeager's Les Sylphides debut, but I couldn't stay for the whole program.

NYCB tends to give its debuts in the ballet's later performances in the run.

For ABT, I would be satisfied to know when the dancers I like are getting shots at smaller roles -- a Shade, a Fairy, etc. (I've said this so often I'm boring myself, so excuse me, but . . . ) I wish ABT would include those roles at least in the week of and week before the performances. It would be very, very easy. Better yet, post on the website a PDF of the printed program the way Pennsylvania Ballet does. The information would sell tickets, and it's not hard to do.

I'm very excited to see Nina A. again too, but not as Sleeping Beauty....

Aren't there better, more age-appropriate roles for Nina?! A 44-year old dancing/acting as a 16-year old... I don't care how great the artist, that sort of casting is a bit strange. Ditto Romeo and Juliets.... It just drives me nuts watching 40+ year olds dancing what should be young Juliets.

ABT could give the younger talents the younger roles.... If NYCB can do this with dancers who have little story ballet experience, so could ABT....

I'm very excited to see Nina A. again too, but not as Sleeping Beauty....

Aren't there better, more age-appropriate roles for Nina?! A 44-year old dancing/acting as a 16-year old... I don't care how great the artist, that sort of casting is a bit strange. Ditto Romeo and Juliets.... It just drives me nuts watching 40+ year olds dancing what should be young Juliets.

ABT could give the younger talents the younger roles.... If NYCB can do this with dancers who have little story ballet experience, so could ABT....

While I don't disagree that it would be nice to see some of the younger talent at ABT in major roles , I have some major differences with what you said above.

First of all, I think ABT cares more about trying to get dancers to act the roles than NYCB does, and often this talent/ability comes with greater age and experience (of course there are major exceptions--Hallberg and Herrera spring to mind).

More significantly, I have no problem with older dancers dancing these roles as long as their technique still allows them to do so.

I enjoyed Makarova's Juliet with McKenzie when she was over 40 (is this "great performances" available on DVD? I had a tape of it at one point but it's gone missing).

And I have never thought Ferri looked in any way age inappropriate as Juliet. She is utterly convincing and probably the best I have ever seen in this role. She appears to be exactly what she is meant to be, a young girl in love. I suppose if I peered through my opera glasses at her face I might notice a wrinkle or two, but it has never detracted from my enjoyment of her in this work.

To each his/her own, but I'll take Ferri's Juliet over any one else in the company. Unfortunately this year will be the last.

Donning Moderator's beanie

Let's steer the discussion back to the Kennedy Center season. I realize this :wacko: turn evolved very naturally.

We already have a very active thread -->here in anticipation of the Met season (when, unlike at KC, they will be dancing Sleeping Beauty and Romeo & Juliet).

Thanks, folks!

Doffing Moderator's beanie

Editing to add:Thanks to aurora for pointing out the faulty link. It works now.

Edited by carbro
Ditto Romeo and Juliets.... It just drives me nuts watching 40+ year olds dancing what should be young Juliets.

Ahem.

Margot Fonteyn and Natalia Makarova? :wacko:

[Adding: Whoops! I didn't see the other posts happening while I was responding - the point's already been made and I didn't mean to continue the off-topic discussion or turn it into a pile-on! Back to Ken Cen!]