This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Famous Dancers

This thread is only for people who live in ballet-starved places or those who happened to see famous dancers in an unusual location!

Question: Which famous dancers have you seen in out-of-the-ballet-way, remote or unusual locations?

Living in South Africa, which is about as far south of any ballet headquarters as you can get, I have seen:

Bolshoi: Andrei Uvarov, Nikolai Tsiskaridze, Nadezda Gracheva, Galina Stepanenko, Maria Allash, Maria Alexandrova, Svetlana Lunkina, Anastasia Goriatcheva, Yuri Klevtsov, Gennady Yanin and Denis Medvedev.

Royal Danish: Kenneth Greve, Thomas Lund.

British Royal Ballet: Johann Kobborg, Alina Cojocaru.

General: Nikolai Hubbe, Rex Harrington (Canada), Irina Kolesnikova(St Petersburg Ballet Theatre), Friedemann Vogel(Stuttgart Ballet).

From a geographic standpoint Edmonton, Canada, is extremely remote, but some of the dancers to pass through here include Marcia Haydée, Richard Cragun, Natalia Bessmertnova, Alexander Bogatyrev, Wayne Eagling, Darcey Bussell, Maria Almeida, Jonathan Cope, Errol Pickford, Irina Dvorovenko, Alexei Ratmansky and Mikhail Baryshnikov, in his White Oak phase.

The National Ballet of Canada, Royal Winnipeg Ballet and to a lesser extent Les Grands Ballets Canadiens have always made a point of touring the western half of Canada, so the majority of leading Canadian dancers of the past 35-40 years have performed here at some point. Of course, I haven't seen every single one of them :flowers:

Springfield, MA.

The ONLY time this century I think (until two years ago)...

Baryshnikov with a tour group from ABT that included Robert LaFosse, Leslie Browne, (and I think) Jaffe, Harvey, Yeager. Sorry, can't remember much else.

It's sad considering its proximity to Jacob's Pillow. Gotta feeling the 19th century was better represented.