This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Corella's Swan Lake awarded with an EMI?

CarolinaM

Some media in Spain informed that "Swan Lake" issued by PBS and performed by Gilliam Murphy & Àngel Corella has been awarded by the EMI 2005-2006 'Outstanding special class program' prize with Corella receiving a special mention.

What kind of prize it is? Does anybody know someting about?

Many thanks! :dry:

Some media in Spain informed that "Swan Lake" issued by PBS and performed by Gilliam Murphy & Àngel Corella has been awarded by the EMI 2005-2006 'Outstanding special class program' prize with Corella receiving a special mention.

What kind of prize it is? Does anybody know someting about?

Many thanks! :dry:

I think this is not an "EMI" which is a British-owned media conglomerate but "Emmy" which is the TV equivalent of the Oscars.

"Swan Lake" was in the Prime Time Emmys for Outstanding Special Class Program.

http://www.emmys.org/downloads/images/2006...imetimeNoms.php

I think this is not an "EMI" which is a British-owned media conglomerate but "Emmy" which is the TV equivalent of the Oscars.

"Swan Lake" was in the Prime Time Emmys for Outstanding Special Class Program.

http://www.emmys.org/downloads/images/2006...imetimeNoms.php

Thanks a lot FauxPas! You are absolutely right :)

It seems that media in Spain do not take much care when publishing dance news, it's a shame but it is like this :dry:

FYI:

Go to

www.pbs.org (sorry don't know how to link)

and look under programs for "Great Performances" then you should be able to find the "Swan Lake" program and accompanying articles--including an interview with Gillian Murphy.

I am glad Dance in America taped and broadcast ABT's "Swan Lake". I am glad it won an EMMY (yes, the US television equivalent of an "Oscar") because the television direction (Matthew Diamond--why are they always male?!), editing (Ghirish Barghava),and most of the camera work was good. (For reviews of the dance/dancers etc. see the ABT thread) But still must complain...

(1) It really didn't have much competition (two other programs were PBS productions too), and since NATAS (The Academy of Television Arts & Sciences) eliminated the culture/performing arts categories, it gets a "special class" EMMY award (whatever that is) so there is a category for it to win in.

(2) Only ONE, yes ONE station in the entire USA out of 345 public television stations does a major dance program "Dance in America" that records full performances, not just short news segments, not just documentaries. And its creative-production staff has not changed in decades. So other directors or dance film makers are never given a national tv outlet for their work. (So much for the Arts (now A&E) and Bravo cable channels ever doing ballets again, and don't even mention the broadcast networks!) Therefore, I am still confused who did the NYCB "Swan Lake" on PBS the year before DiA did ABT's? And is "Live from Lincoln Center" a completely separate program, or was it subsumed many years back under the "Great Performances" umbrella?

(3) It's criminal that the "Live from Lincoln Center" 1977(?) "Swan Lake" with Makarova & Nagy (another EMMY winner) and later "Giselle" with Baryshnikov & Makarova (another EMMY winner) is no longer available on video and not yet on DVD. (Luckily I got the videos when they were first released) You'd think someone would like to make some $$$ from them!

Just my minor annoyance showing.

PS. In the spirit of full journalistic disclosure...I have worked at PBS stations, made dance films--though not broadcast any nationally, and won an EMMY or two.