This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Miranda Weese to leave NYCB at end of Winter season, to guest with PNB

As part of a general release regarding New York City Ballet's 2007 Winter season, the following was announced:

At the conclusion of the season, Principal Dancer Miranda Weese will end her career with New York City Ballet. Ms. Weese, who is from San Bernardino, California, joined NYCB in 1993, became a soloist in 1994, and was promoted to principal dancer in 1996. Following NYCB's 2007 winter season, Ms. Weese will appear as a guest artist with Pacific Northwest Ballet for the remainder of that company's 2006-2007 season.

As part of a general release regarding New York City Ballet's 2007 Winter season, the following was announced:

At the conclusion of the season, Principal Dancer Miranda Weese will end her career with New York City Ballet. Ms. Weese, who is from San Bernardino, California, joined NYCB in 1993, became a soloist in 1994, and was promoted to principal dancer in 1996. Following NYCB's 2007 winter season, Ms. Weese will appear as a guest artist with Pacific Northwest Ballet for the remainder of that company's 2006-2007 season.

Maybe Miranda read the NYTimes this morning and decided "time for a change" :)

Seriously, all good luck to her in her future endeavors!

A lengthy article on Ms. Weese's departure, with four photos of Miranda, appeared recently in Playbill:

http://www.playbillarts.com/features/article/5968.html

..."She has a huge scope in her understanding of the ballets," said Principal Dancer Nikolaj Hübbe, who was her partner for that first role in Who Cares?, and who has often danced with her since. "She's so natural. She always gets it."

Among her favorite Balanchine ballets is Theme and Variations from Tchaikovsky Suite No. 3. ..."It's the epitome of what Balanchine is all about. It's concise and classical. And I love the music."

Ms. Weese has also originated roles in several ballets by Christopher Wheeldon. "He really speaks to the moody side of my personality," she said, adding that her work in Shambards (2004) was particularly rewarding: "I danced with Jock Soto, which was a dream come true."

Her greatest artistic achievement, however, she feels came from her work in Peter Martins's full-length Swan Lake.... "So many ballerinas have danced Swan Lake — I just had to find my own way in it," she said. Together with Peter Boal, who partnered her, she dug into the ideas behind the legendary ballet. "We spent weeks rehearsing together. We spent time talking and building the story."

..."There were times when I didn't feel like I could live up to the title of principal dancer of New York City Ballet." Over the years though, confidence grew. "I grew up here," she said of the Company. "I'll miss this audience. They've watched me grow up over the years, and they've always been so supportive."

The audience has seen Ms. Weese become a dancer with an air so gentle that she can almost seem to come from another century. The Emeralds section of Balanchine's Jewels highlights her gifts as if it were made for her — though she can take on the jazzy Rubies section with a haunting fierceness. "She dazzles with an incredible ease and calm in the upper body," said Mr. Hübbe, who puts her departure in simple terms: "I'm really going to miss her."...

What struck me was "will move to the West Coast to dance with the Pacific Northwest Ballet as a guest artist". Usually a guest stint does not require leaving one company and moving lock, stock and barrel to another city. It looks like she'll be a Permanent Guest Artist, a la Darcey Bussell, with limited and carefully chosen roles.

BTW, it is well worth the effort to open the link drb posted, if only for a gander at the Allegro pic.

The latest issue of Time Out New York has an interview with Weese by Gia Kourlas. Weese sited rehearsal time and preparation as the main reseason she is moving to PNB.

"It's complicated, but I want to be able to have preparation for the roles. At Pacific Northwest, the schedule and seasons are broken down differently. .... I like for class to be class and rehearsal to be rehearsal. I like a little longer preparation time to really get into my roles and more of an opportunity to pick them apart. And I don't care for rehearsing on the same day that I have to perform. ... I'm not angry, I'm not bitter. ... I just couldn't make it happen here."

She'll be doing La Sonnambula at PNB. "It's one of those situations where, for certain roles here, there is a very long line and you respect that because you earn a part that way."

Both Weese in the Playbill interview (link and quote above), and Boal in the Director's Notes for the PNB Swan Lake program both talk appreciatively about their detailed collaboration during preparation for Peter Martins' Swan Lake. It sounds like the PNB approach and schedule is perfect fit for Weese.

It's interesting that the TONY interview touches on the lack of rehearsal/coaching aspect of Weese leaving. Of course, the Playbill article does not. Both Weese and Ansanellli mention this as a reason for their departure. Has the system always been the same at nycb? Weese says in TONY: "Kyra (Nichols - Weese's dressing roommate) would always tell me how things used to be and help me in roles -- always."

There will be an expanded interview on timeoutnewyork.com.

I had not seen Miranda Weese in some seasons, and she was beautiful last night in Evenfall. The contrast between her and some of the younger, less experienced principals in the company is marked; she has abundant 'class' and style and character. Her departing will be a loss to those younger dancers who might continue to learn from her.

There should have been flowers for Miranda Tuesday night -

I hope they do something special for her tonight - she

deserves to be acknowledged for all the joy and

pleasure she has given us throughout her career here.

While there are many roles she may never perform again,

she probably will be seen again in the parts Wheeldon

created for her in Evenfall and Klavier.