This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

From the article:

On that note last December at La Scala — a somewhat strained one — he heard boos and hisses from a few spectators in a country where opera at times is treated like a blood sport. He walked off the stage, and the theater brought in a replacement, who sang in jeans.

Alagna later explained: "I'm a Sicilian, I'm a bit hot-blooded."

Had he only said that and left it at that when it happened, the public would have found him adorable.

On Friday I got to see Alagna as Radames for myself when he appeared in the role at Covent Garden and it is difficult to understand why he was received so harshly in Milan if his singing was on a par with what I heard. The role’s big challenge is having to go straight on stage and sing Celeste Aida absolutely cold, so if nerves creep in a tenor could be off to a very poor start. Alagna sang it okay, but I wouldn’t call it a distinguished rendition, from then on though he just got better and better, even though there are punters that still claim his voice isn’t right for the Verdi roles. Alagna is popular in London and was extremely well received at the end, he looked happy at the curtain calls, perhaps relieved, as a friend put it, that no one booed him.

It was quite a night with Borodina as Amneris and a newcomer Ludmila Monastyrska from Kiev as Aida, watch her name she’s going to be big. The downside is the production which is just horrible with a set piece of men being disembowelled by half naked women. It has ugly sets too with not the slightest hint that the location is Egypt; the producer David McVicar has an uneven track record but in the past I’ve tended to admire his ideas but he’s made this particular opera almost unwatchable.

On Friday I got to see Alagna as Radames for myself when he appeared in the role at Covent Garden and it is difficult to understand why he was received so harshly in Milan if his singing was on a par with what I heard.

In the last 2 years, Alagna has improved a great deal. I was pleasantly surprised at how good he sounded during this season at performances in New York. In a review in the New YOrk Times a few months ago, the reviewer made note at Alagna's recent improved vocal abilities. Maybe being separated from Angela G. is helping him focus on his voice.