This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

How Do We Meet?

How do you meet BT posters? How do you recognize them... or have you arranged to meet them via email in advance? That in itself might be an interesting thread... no?

How about using BT to organize a ballet talk posters' travel "ensemble" for trips such as nysusan's excursion to Boston.. share the driving... That might be a rewarding journey in many ways!

You're right, SanderO. Great topic of its own, so I used your post to get it rolling!

One of my earliest BT meetings took place on the opposite coast. I met my new buddy at his place of business, so it was easy to "spot" each other. :( A few months later, he visited my coast and introduced me to another member, who then introduced me to another. It's a chain reaction.

I met Alexandra (who was then BT's [known then as BalletAlert] Administrator) when she came to New York for a book event. It was easy to pick her out -- she was the speaker! (I heartily recommend her very scholarly, very human biography of Henning Kronstam.)

When I've become friendly with a poster whom I don't know, we generally meet at a specific spot either in the theater, or better -- at an eatery, where there are fewer people. Messages describing the evening's attire zip back and forth.

Then there's the matter of discovering that a particular poster turns out to be someone you've known for -- uh -- a number of years! That happened one night when I read what was basically a reconstruction of a conversation I'd had during intermission. An exchange of e-mails allowed us to verify each other's identity, and it's been non-stop ever since! :party-smiley-017: Also, other posters (who have no trouble identifying me by my screen name) have self-outed to me.

When I attend the ABT at the Met I imagine there are a handful of BT posters in the audience... just never could tell who they are. I would think that in NYC there would be a pretty decent concentration of BT people in at the ABT and the NYCB. I know I missed a few at the opening night ABT gala this Fall.

I have made my Spring purchases for ABT so perhaps I might have the pleasure of meeting some of these wonderful balletomanes in 2007. I am seeing Ferri dance Mannon which I expect will be sold out as she is retiring this year. That should be one for memory lane I suspect.

Further to the idea of "meet me at the ballet"... would it make sense... assuming there is the desire to meet... for BT ballatomanes to announce which performances they are seeing in advance, so that they might have a face to face with other BT members who might be attending the same performance, before, during intermission or at the conclusion of the performance?

I often wonder about online communities, such as BT where members freely converse about a performance online (after the performance of course), for example, but failed to do so at the actual event they attended. Maybe they do and I am wrong here...

Further to the idea of "meet me at the ballet"... would it make sense... assuming there is the desire to meet... for BT ballatomanes to announce which performances they are seeing in advance, so that they might have a face to face with other BT members who might be attending the same performance, before, during intermission or at the conclusion of the performance?

Hi SanderO – that’s exactly how some of us have met when traveling to see ballet – ie – I’m going to see the X ballet at the Y Center in Anytown, USA – anyone else going & is there a central place to meet?

… I often wonder about online communities, such as BT where members freely converse about a performance online (after the performance of course), for example, but failed to do so at the actual event they attended. Maybe they do and I am wrong here...

One of the benefits of an online community is the opportunity to express your opinions in an anonymous forum. Not everyone wants to “come out” but there are lots of BT posters in NY - I’d guess that some posters have known each other for years and look forward to meeting at the ballet while others prefer to keep to themselves – or to a small circle of friends. Next time you’re going out to see one of the local companies why don’t you post here again and those of us who are interested in meeting can pick a central place to say hello.

Any plans to see the NYCB this winter, or are you strictly an ABT fan?

NYSusan

I am planning to do the NYCB this winter, but I have only just purchased the Nut for Sunday the 24th at 1pm...By the way... Ballet Talk made me do it.. the thread of Nutcracker reviews got under my skin.

Hopefully the children will not interfere with my experience... xmas eve... or maybe it will be the spark for a career in ballet... so children take notice!

I think I am going to seek the counsel of some BT members in selecting my NYCB ballets this winter. When I have made my selections I will let you know... BT geniuses... suggestions please.

I do understand the wonderful anonymity that the net provides whilst bringing minds together. I respect that. On the other hand I more than willing to meet some of these incredible people from BT... for me it would be an honor.

Thank you, SanderO!

By the way, I'm planning a visit to Paris next spring, basically to attend to a POB's Cinderella performance. Tickets come to sale on 17th january and I would like to see Aurelie Dupont dancing. I guess that the cast has not been made yet, but if anybody had any clue before (although I think I am asking for an 'impossible'), could let me know?

Grissi, there's virtually no chance at all the casting will be known in January. We'll be lucky if Don Quixote's is already up... I would advise you, if you know anyone in Paris, to ask them to get tickets for you directly at the box-office when the tickets go on sale (some time in March) - by then casting should be up, and you can pick the performance. If that's not possible, well... There's not much to be done. ;-)

Last time around Agnès Letestu got the opening night of Cinderella and Aurélie Dupont the second performance, but that doesn't mean it will happen again this time.

As I've posted elsewhere about travelling long distances to see performances (for me it's mostly ABT, NYCB, Boston Ballet, RB/Kirov/Bolshoi guesting in Boston or NYC, and some trips to Los Angeles & OCPAC performances. I'd love to go back to Europe--London/Paris, and Spain--thank you CarolinaM and Grissi--if I can save up. Of course Russia and Denmark would be on the list too if funds were sufficient.) I'd very much like to meet up with the knowledgeable balletomanes on this site. I often travel alone and it's not much fun (re-)viewing and analyzing an amazing peformance with yourself. Also, group rates are still less than single rates last time I checked. (The only good thing about going alone, is that it's usually easier to find a single seat at a theatre.)

I am planning to attend NYCB this winter, if possible, to catch up on all the Diamond Project premieres I missed and maybe Sleeping Beauty. I will most definately be attending ABT this summer, but can't get a series subscription because I work crazy hours and can't commit to the same day. Does anyone know when single ticket/different day make-your-own/FLEX subscriptions will be available?

I am going to try and get to NYC this week (Wed.matinee?) to see Ailey. Most times I have to do matinees unless, I splurge on accomodations since late trains/busses home are only available on Fridays and Sundays. (Why not Saturday night?!) Am also considering Chicago in March.

I am SO glad I have this site to "talk to".

CarolinaM: I couldn't (I gave birth to my first child). But, yes, whenever you come to Madrid, let me know. I'll do the same if I go to the Liceo...

Congratulations! what a happy new :angel_not:

and Ok Grissi, we'll meet one day in any place in Spain where a good ballet evening is schedulled :)

You know I always thougt it would be fun to have a BalletTalk convention. Perhaps every two years in a different city that hosts a major ballet company. The only impediments to this plan are lack of funds, family commitments, no time, you know, the usual :( . But hey, a girl can dream.