This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Tanaquil LeClercq

Phaedra392

In a review in the New York Times of the new Jerome Robbins biography ("Somewhere" by Amanda Vaill), critic Janet Maslin made this remark:

"Ms. Vaill's access to the Robbins correspondence allows her to offer shimmering glimpses of Tanaquil LeClercq, the ballerina who is celebrated as part of Mr. Balanchine's harem but insufficiently recognized in her own right."

Part of Balanchine's "harem"? This legendary dancer "insufficiently recognized"? Huh?

Any comments?

In a review in the New York Times of the new Jerome Robbins biography ("Somewhere" by Amanda Vaill), critic Janet Maslin made this remark:

"Ms. Vaill's access to the Robbins correspondence allows her to offer shimmering glimpses of Tanaquil LeClercq, the ballerina who is celebrated as part of Mr. Balanchine's harem but insufficiently recognized in her own right."

Part of Balanchine's "harem"? This legendary dancer "insufficiently recognized"? Huh?

Any comments?

I thought the 'harem' comment was a bit much, but didn't the reviewer go on to suggest that someone should write a biography of LeClercq herself?

I think it is fair to say that LeClercq was part of a harem. Balanchine surrounded himself by beautiful girls and women as well as marrying some of them. Although certainly the term is harsh.

I have always felt Tanaquil LeClercq's life seemed very interesting. I would love to read a biography about her.

LeClercq unrecognized? All I had to do as a little girl just starting ballet, is look at a picture of her in my "The Great Ballets" book by Balanchine, and know that she was different and groundbreaking.

Footage of her dancing is stunning and the drama of her battle with polio? This is movie stuff.

It seems a given her reputation would have been much greater had she not been struck down by polio at 27. Growing up in the 80s and 90s, I knew most about Farrell's greatness, and as I got more involved in ballet, Danilova's and Tallchief's, respectively. I didn't know anything about LeClercq until three years or so ago, when I watched the PBS Balanchine DVD and started looking at old photos of NYCB. Even in a tiny snippet of Concerto Barocco, or gazing out from photos, her quality and mystery are apparent. But if you weren't there to witness her dancing, as some on the board were lucky to be, she is still a tantalizing enigma...

It is also hard to believe Balanchine was able to pick a prima to be with in all of his relationships. However, now I imagine it is Geva and Zorina who weren't at that top level of dancing, while LeClercq was.