This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Herold's LA SOMNABULE

i don't think this has been noted here yet, but for those interested in 19th c. ballet music, david vaughan, who is ever on the lookout for such recordings as this, found Herold's LA SOMNAMBULE somewhere.

it was recorded with the orchestra victoria. (i don't know the date.)

it's a 1-disc item, w/ a booklet that includes historic essays by Bonynge and Patrick O'Connor. the score dates from 1827 and the ballet has an uncredited libretto by Scribe.

here's the full titling from the CDs sleeve:

LA SOMNABULE

Fernand Herold - The richard Bonynge Edition

Richard Bonynge - Conductor - Orchestra Victoria

The Melba Foundation

i don't think this has been noted here yet, but for those interested in 19th c. ballet music, david vaughan, who is ever on the lookout for such recordings as this, found Herold's LA SOMNAMBULE somewhere.

it was recorded with the orchestra victoria. (i don't know the date.)

It would appear that it was recorded in 2004 released in Australia and perhaps elsewhere in 2005 and entered American catalogue in the 6th of June this year. An excerpt was first broadcast on Australian Radio on the 26th April 2005.

A copy was on sale on ebay which finished on 21st November 2006 which did not sell for

the equivalent of 77 American cents.

Ps This is a very nerdy reply, my apologies.

A copy was on sale on ebay which finished on 21st November 2006 which did not sell for

the equivalent of 77 American cents.

:jawdrop:

List price on the Melba Recordings website is $26 AUD (plus between $5-$10 AUD to ship to North America). At today's exchange rate, that's between $24-28 USD, with shipping. I know a lot of times on eBay, shipping charges can be costly ($10-$15 USD), but no takers on $.77 USD is hard to imagine.

(I've ordered from Melba Recordings directly, and their service was terrific in both cases.)