This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mikhail Gabovich

Helene

We received this query this morning:

"Could you tell me if the Mikhail Gabovich who we see in our Sparticus video with Irek Mukhamedov from 1984 is the same dancer who performed in the in the 1950's?"

Mikhail Markovich Gabovich(senior) 1905-1965 was a premier danseur dancer with the Bolshoi Ballet 1924-

52. His son Mikhailovich Gabovich born 1948 also danced leading dances with the Bolshoi and is the dancer

you saw.

"Could you tell me if the Mikhail Gabovich who we see in our Sparticus video with Irek Mukhamedov from 1984 is the same dancer who performed in the in the 1950's?"

Mikhail Mikhailovich Gabovich on the video who was third cast as Crassus in Grigorovich's Spartacus after Maris Liepa and Boris Akimov was born in 1948 and was the son of Mikhail Markovich Gabovich(1905-1965) a premier danseur with the Bolshoi ballet 1924-1952.

Apologies for the duplication.

as explained above M.M.Gabovich (pere) is different from M. M. Gabovich(fils)

i'm attached scans of three cards of the senior Gabovich: Mikhail Markovich

(for pictures of this arguably even more handsome son, Mikhail Mikhailovich, see, among other possibilities, the "Romeo and Juliet" spread in THE BOLSHOI BALLET, judy cameron's 1975 richly illustrated harper & row book.)

fyi: the portrait card is dated 1952; the romeo&juliet card, seen w/ ulanova, is dated 1961; the cinderella prince, 1951

post-848-1163373433.jpg

as explained above M.M.Gabovich (pere) is different from M. M. Gabovich(fils)

i'm attached scans of three cards of the senior Gabovich: Mikhail Markovich

(for pictures of this arguably even more handsome son, Mikhail Mikhailovich, see, among other possibilities, the "Romeo and Juliet" spread in THE BOLSHOI BALLET, judy cameron's 1975 richly illustrated harper & row book.)

fyi: the portrait card is dated 1952; the romeo&juliet card, seen w/ ulanova, is dated 1961; the cinderella prince, 1951

POSTSCRIPT: Mikhail Gabovich senior was the principal teacher of Vladimir Vasiliev. Mikhail Gabovich junior

was a casualty of the fall-out when Grigorovich was dismissed from his post as Director of the Bolshoi. Mikhail Gabovich was the brother in law of Grigorovich's wife Natalya Bessmertnova.

Just a comment that in my opinion Mikhail Gabovich was just awful in the 1984 performance of Spartacus. A far better dancer is Alexander Vetrov who danced the role in the 1990 Bolshoi production. If you have a chance get the DVD, its a great performance. :)