This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Spain to have new, classical "national ballet"?

Do they have established dance "companies" at the opera houses? Or are the dancers just hired for particular operas that require dance?

In the second case, often there is almost no time devoted to coaching and to rehearsing as an ensemble. In a surprising number of regional opera houses over here in the US, very few resources are available for the dancers, and little time is given to overisght. The process can be something like this: "Learn the choreography (quickly). Go through it a few times. And get on stage!"

Dancers, especially young dancers, need more support than this to do good work.

Do they have established dance "companies" at the opera houses? Or are the dancers just hired for particular operas that require dance?

In the second case, often there is almost no time devoted to coaching and to rehearsing as an ensemble. In a surprising number of regional opera houses over here in the US, very few resources are available for the dancers, and little time is given to overisght. The process can be something like this: "Learn the choreography (quickly). Go through it a few times. And get on stage!"

Dancers, especially young dancers, need more support than this to do good work.

No there is no dance Company in any Opera Theater in Spain. Incredible but true. It is the second case.

Following to Grissi comment I've asked the Liceu from where they get the dancers, let's see what is their replay, if any. Dance does not matter at all :-(

Carolina, that is a good question: where do they get those dancers that take part in operas? At the conservatories? Very good question, indeed.

Today I have had the replay from the Liceu, Barcelona Opera House. They say that they carry out open auditions for a selection of dancers among the ones who had shown their interest and have sent their curriculums.

Then the Staging Director and the Choreographer of the production make the final selection according to the production needs.

I do not know how and where they publish that they are looking for dancers.

I’ve asked again.

Let's see what they replay. There is only one consevatoire in Barcelona but as for classical dance I think that they are not very good. The best classical dance school in Barcelona is David Campos one.

David has also a small Company trying to survive and they really do a good job. He was principal at the Royal Ballet of Flandes and he came back to Barcelona with his wife, Irene, who also was principal dancer in that Company to run a school and Company in his city.

David Campos Dance Company

He has very little help but his Nutcracker is every Christmas in the city and sourroundings and we never miss it.

But I'm pretty sure Liceu dancers doesn't come from there :devil: