This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Antoinette Sibley?

Calliope

Sibley is a favorite of mine, although I saw very little of her. I came to ballet during her Injured period. She had the most amazing career. Very good very young, with many created roles, working with both Ashton and MacMillan, shining in the Petipa ballets, a great partnership with Anthony Dowell. Then she was injured (while filming "Turning Point" dancing with Baryshnikov) and she was out for, I think, seven years. At a relatively advanced age, when in her mid-40s, she came back, at first tentatively, and then back to her old repertory, with no apologies.

She danced Les Soupirs with Sir Anthony Dowell at his farewell gala last season. I believe they also danced it together in the States in the Royal Ballet's summer tour. She was in the audience for something at ROH I can't remember now too... so, yes, she is still around! smile.gif

Alexandra, I got it from the Lincoln Center Library for the performing arts. Now that it has reopened, there is lots of great stuff on the shelves that I have been loooking for for years. This book and Seymour's autobiography among others.

Antoinette is now Dame Antoinette and President of the Royal Academy of Dancing,in succession to Fonteyn. She is married with two children, who must now be grown up. She was at Covent Garden the other evening still looking amazingly young. When Dowell was directing the Royal Ballet she coached a number of dancers, among them Sarah Wildor.

In addition to Barbara Newman's biography, Nicholas Dromgoole who was for many years the critic of the Sunday Telegraph wrote a book about Sibley and Dowell which appeared in 1976.