This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Which dancers have the best batterie?

Very well put Farrell Fan -- A lyrical and expressive voice too in this repertory -- Which allowed him to grow in a very different way --

Actually, this is off topic, but I'd really also like to see him be given the chance to Direct some Balanchine or even some Bournonville at this company. They give everyone else the chance to choreograph but Hubbe has skills as a director that are related to his skills as a teacher (he does I believe give good company classes on occasion and has also taught at SAB) and wouldn't I love to see a Sylphide on this company with Janie Taylor and Ashley Bouder alternating as the Sylphs, and Jenny Ringer and Miranda Weese alternating as Effie.

Hubbe staged two terrific productions of La Sylphide that I've seen: one at Royal Danish Ballet, and one for Ballet Arizona, where the role of the Sylph was shared by BA and Suzanne Farrell Ballet Principal Natalia Magnicaballi and BA Principal Paola Hartley. Hubbe danced James in the performance I saw in Copenhagen.

Hubbe is a wonderful cavalier in Tales from the Vienna Woods -

He was quite young when he did Sylphide in Denmark, and I think that production was directed by the great director Henning Kronstam, whose mark is all over it, and EVERYTHING about that production is first rate. I've watched that tape at least 20 times and I'm always finding new things to wonder at that carry that tale around its various bends, especially the contrast between the impetuous movement of James, the Sylph and Madge, versus the stolid, complacent pacing of movement for everybody else........ and Sorella Englund's Madge is unbelievable. She's hot for James -- it's not in any way obvious, but it's electric, and his antipathy to her is instantaneous.

and wouldn't I love to see a Sylphide on this company with Janie Taylor and Ashley Bouder alternating as the Sylphs, and Jenny Ringer and Miranda Weese alternating as Effie.

Yes, yes.---instead we are getting another truncated 'Sleeping Beauty'.

As to the best batterie--my vote goes to Peter Schaufus.