This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

From the NY Phil:

...WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 13, 2006, AT 7:30 P.M.

...The Opening Night concert of the New York Philharmonic's 165th season will be broadcast live on a jumbo screen located outside Avery Fisher Hall on the Josie Robertson Plaza at Lincoln Center, 65th Street and Broadway, on Wednesday, September 13, 2006, at 7:30 p.m. Chairs will be available for the public on a first-come, first-served basis. No tickets are required....

Lorin Maazel, conductor

Emanuel Ax, piano

Yefim Bronfman, piano

Beethoven: Egmont Overture

Mozart: Concerto for Two Pianos in E-flat

Beethoven: Symphony No. 3, "Eroica"

This will also be telecast on PBS.

Following on the heels of the Met Opera announcement elsewhere in this site, this could bode well for ballet fans. How about the opening night galas for the local ballet companies? Sure asking for PBS for such low-interest, minor art programming is too much, but why not open them up to the public in this jumbo-screen way? And other programs which are bound to sell out: a NYCB George Balanchine's The Nutcracker, Bouder's winter Sleeping Beauties, ABT's spring Vishneva performances, or at least opening night of their Sleeping Beauty?

Thanks for the notice, drb!

Much as I love Bouder, I can't see myself sitting outdoors on a January night <shivering, blue smiley> for three hours to watch her in Beauty. Or anything.

I will be seeing her tomorrow night at the Works & Process program :clapping: , so I'll have to miss the Philharmonic freebie. Maybe I can catch the Eroica, but I'd have loved to have been able to catch the piano concerto. :dunno:

Like you, carbro, I'll be catching her (well, I wish! :clapping: ) tomorrow, and will save the Phil :nopity: for next week. Hopefully will catch her indoors for Beauty; but if it were the only way, I'd shiver for the pert efficient one in January! Remember, the no-time-wasted Martins version only takes a few minutes.

Following on the heels of the Met Opera announcement elsewhere in this site, this could bode well for ballet fans. How about the opening night galas for the local ballet companies? Sure asking for PBS for such low-interest, minor art programming is too much, but why not open them up to the public in this jumbo-screen way? And other programs which are bound to sell out: a NYCB George Balanchine's The Nutcracker, Bouder's winter Sleeping Beauties, ABT's spring Vishneva performances, or at least opening night of their Sleeping Beauty?
Actually, broadcasting Nutcracker live to movie theaters once a year, like the Met plans to do with opera, could be a terrific idea, and bring legions of new fans to ballet.