This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

What are you reading?

There has been another recent one and I think the subject arose before, although I'm not sure on which thread - try doing a search and I think something should come up.

It's from ngitanjali, post 192.

(I didn't do a full search, just lazily used my browser's "find on this page" function. :) Sometimes that's all that's needed. )

kfw, good luck with Proust! Enjoy!

As dirac says, the search button turns of lots of Proust references -- the novels, ballets based on Proust's works, possible new plots. But there isn't much on translation.

At the beginning of the summer, I started rereading the series in the new translations published by Penguin Viking. I had already read the Moncrieff translations (Syidney Schiff did the last book after Moncrieff's death). There was also a translation of the last volume by Andeas Mayor, revised by D. J. Enright in 1992.

After reading the new translations, I decided to give my old copies to the library (to save shelf space here).

Lydia Davis's translation was the first to appear in the new series. I believe she is also the main editor of the entire series. I loved the flowing qualitiy, which comes close to the effect of Proust's own writing -- but easier for the Anglophone. it's faithful to the style -- long sentences, composed to beautiful dependent clause that sometimes seem to be small essays on their own. It's also surprisingly colloquial and talks about sexual matters frankly in words which the first English translations either cut out or sanitized.

The whole series is a good way to get to know Proust, I think. (I know translations are a contentious issuse -- to wit, the current debate over the translation history of War and Peace.)

I don't think there have been serious criticisms of any of the translations in this series.

Here's the list of the 6 volumes, all in paperback. At the time I purchased them, the first four were published in the US by Viking Penguin. The last two were available only in UK editions as Penguin classics.

The umbrella title of the series is "In Search of Lost Time (A la recherche du temps perdu).

Swann's Way (Du cote de chez Swann), Lydia Davis.

In the Shadow of Young Girls in Flower(A l'ombre des jeunes filles en fleurs), James Grieve.

The Guermantes Way (Cote de Guermantes), Mark Treharne.

Sodom and Gomorrah (Sodome et Gomorrhe), John Sturrock.

The Prisoner (La Prisonniere ), Carol Clark, combined in a single volume with The Fugitive (Albertine disparue), Peter Collier.

Finding Time Again (Le temps retrouve), Ian Patterson

dirac and bart, thanks very much. bart, the Search engine brought up what you wrote this August about preferring "a new series of translations put out by Penguin" over the Moncrieffes translation. The Davis translation I have here is published by Viking, which is owned by Penguin, so I assumed that was probably what you were referring to, but I also assumed you'd write a helpful reply. And I was right.

Thanks, kfw. I'm a real Proust-pusher. I seem to recall that you and your wife like to read novels aloud together. (Wasn't one of these Moby Dick? :) ) The series will work very well with that approach.

When you're done, I hope you'll check out Alain de Botton's How Proust Can Change Your Life. Here's just one of Proust's insights, which is quite relevant to this "What are you reading?" thread:

In reality, every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what, without this book, he would perhaps never have experienced in himself. And the recognition by the reader in his own self of what the book says is the proof of its veracity.

I recently read "Rosie" by Anne Lamott, "Catherine the Great" by Henri Troyat, and "Falling Leaves" by Adeline Yen Mah. Each excellent in its own way. Now I'm on to "Dracula, Prince of Many Faces: His Life and Times" by Florescu and McNally as well as "The City of Falling Angels" by John Berendt.

bart, thanks for the recommendation.

I enjoyed de Botton's "The Consolations of Philosophy," and while I don't disagree with the first two sentences of his that you quote, I want to recognize that part of us as thoughtful readers that hopes to encounter reflections that we do not immediately experience vicariously and thereby immediately understand, reflections we upon our own reflection do not accept as veracious.

Yes we read "Moby Dick" aloud and recently completed "To the Lighthouse." I half tease her that we ought read (reread for me) "War and Peace" and it gets me nowhere. :)

Hans, I have loved some of Lamott's non-fiction. Can you say more about her novel?

Actually the new translations of "In Search of Lost Time/Remembrance of Things Past" are as controversial as any new translations can be.

Part of the problem that there are now six different translators-- or voices---and this may be fine for Bob Dylan but it gets complicated with Proust. And the translations themselves are of varying quality, Carol Clark's and Lydia Davis' being the best.

The other problem is that Scott-Moncrieff’s original is considered something of a masterpiece in English ("beautiful, but slightly period")

Andre Aciman in his review of the new translation talks about how Scott-Moncrieff worked hard to on a method to preserve the word order of Proust and the surprise or reversal that the last word brought in with it. He also lamented the awkwardness of the new titles -- ”The Way by Swann’s” for “Swann’s Way” and “Finding Time Again” for “The Past Recaptured.”

Anyway I do like some things about Lydia Davis' translation of the first volume, but I guess I have a soft spot for Scott-Moncrieff's reassuring gentle prose, like a soft rain--and in the original uncorrected version no less, which nobody reads anymore!

kfw, I enjoy Lamott's non-fiction as well--this was the second novel of hers that I had read (the other was "Blue Shoe," which, while it had Lamott's trademark hysterically funny lines, didn't quite work for me). "Rosie" is the story of a beautiful, alcoholic woman (Elizabeth) who does not fit in to her small town's society and her young daughter (Rosie). Lamott tells their story in her trademark poignant and hilarious style, and through the two main characters' ups and downs there is a sense of hope, that everything will be all right. I hope it's not spoiling the ending to say Lamott makes it uplifting without being cliché or cloying--it feels inevitable and right. Changes in the characters occur quietly, but the book never drags. I really enjoyed it, and I look forward to reading the sequel, "Crooked Little Heart."

Actually the new translations of "In Search of Lost Time/Remembrance of Things Past" are as controversial as any new translations can be.
I believe you are right. Some of the controversy, however, has to do with the question of how possible it is to translate Proust at all. These books are probably still waiting for their ideal translator. But, considering it took about 80 years between the first set of translations and this one, I'm going with the one we have now.

(I'm not by any means a fluent reader of French, but I have compared the first paragraphs of several of the Penguin translations with the original, for curiosity's sake. Reading aloud is a key. I had no problems with the new versions. Scott-Moncrieff's, on the other hand, seems ... "old" -- and therefore alienating, in a way that Proust himself could never be. I am speaking only for myself here, of course.)

Part of the problem that there are now six different translators-- or voices---and this may be fine for Bob Dylan but it gets complicated with Proust. And the translations themselves are of varying quality, Carol Clark's and Lydia Davis' being the best.
I have to defer here. Speaking personally, I did not experience much disconnection from book to book. I agree about Lydia Davis's translation of the first volume, which sets the tone and pace for the other volumes, something that makes it the most difficult job in the series. The introductory material discusses briefly the way that the variious translating assignments were parceled out and then worked over for a degree of uniformity. Since Davis is something of a general editor, I assume that she played a role in editing all the works, but I could be wrong. For my own purposes, as a general reader, I had no difficulties with the different voices. Proust's voice came through.
The other problem is that Scott-Moncrieff’s original is considered something of a masterpiece in English ("beautiful, but slightly period")!
And there are those who hate it. I'm in the middle. When I first read Scott-Moncrieff, I was also reading Constance Garnett and others for the first time. There are qualities in their basically Edwardian use of English which seemed natural to me at the time, but no longer do so. Just take the titles. Scott-Moncrieff based several of them, I believe, on allusions or actual quotations from English poetry. Some of his titles are lovely: "Remembrance of Things Past," for instance. But it is not accurate. Other titles, such as "Sweat Cheat Gone" for "Albertine disparue," seem ridiculous today. (I admit that the new title, "The Fugitive," with its reminders of an old British tv thriller, is not much better. :) )

I'm reading "The Golden Compass" by Philip Pullman, the first novel in the "His Dark Materials" trilogy. A good marketing slogan would be "Harry Potter for the thinking person". So far, it's good but not great. Due to my time constraints, I'm reading a chapter a day which is not optimal for this kind of adventure-fantasy.

Bart,

Charles Prendergast was the editor of the new Proust translation; Lydia Davis was responsible for the first book only, "By Way of Swann's". I believe she didn't read the others until later.

Over at the Yahoo Proust Discussion Group Lydia Davis has gone over some particularly sticky problems of translation (dog roses v. sweetbriars; the proper rendering of the fine fleur de silence, etc).

About Scott-Moncrieff, she says, "Moncrieff really did embellish and color the original. And make it wordier and more 'poetic'--Proust was plainer. This is not to say that Moncrieff did not do a remarkable job. As I worked with his translation, I came to admire it greatly. (Had more quarrels with the reviser Kilmartin.)" She also noted she wanted to write an article on Scott-Moncrieff.

As far as Proust new and old, the title I miss most of all is "Within a Budding Grove" which seems to have given way to "In the Shadow of Young Girls in Flower." I've seen it on so many bookshelves over the years. "Finding Time Again"--for "The Past Recaptured"--seems to be the weakest. Finding time for what?

cheers,

q

Thanks for those corrections, Quiggan. I skimmed Davis's "Note on the Translation" -- which appears in all 4 of the Viking Penguin books published in the US -- and gave her the credit for Prendergast's job.

I agree about In the Shadow of Young Girls in Flower. It smacks a bit too much of The Pen of My Aunt is on the Table" -- literal but ungainly.

kfw, I enjoy Lamott's non-fiction as well--this was the second novel of hers that I had read (the other was "Blue Shoe," which, while it had Lamott's trademark hysterically funny lines, didn't quite work for me). "Rosie" is the story of a beautiful, alcoholic woman (Elizabeth) who does not fit in to her small town's society and her young daughter (Rosie). Lamott tells their story in her trademark poignant and hilarious style, and through the two main characters' ups and downs there is a sense of hope, that everything will be all right. I hope it's not spoiling the ending to say Lamott makes it uplifting without being cliché or cloying--it feels inevitable and right. Changes in the characters occur quietly, but the book never drags. I really enjoyed it, and I look forward to reading the sequel, "Crooked Little Heart."

Thanks a lot, Hans. This sounds like Lamott's territory alright, and well worth reading.

This thread reminds me what an illiterate I am. Sigh. I'm plodding through Robert Caro's biography of Robert Moses, "The Power Broker." Not because of the reading itself - the book is probably one of the most gripping biographies I have ever read in its full examination of power's use and misuse, but it's the size and weight of a small washing machine. I wish I could break it in small pieces so I could tuck it into my bag instead of saving specific times that I almost never have to read.

Whining aside, it's a great book. If you haven't read it and city planning - or New York - or just top-notch biography - fascinate you, it's worth your time.

I've been wanting to read The Power Broker -- as well as all volumes of Caro's LBJ biography. What's stopped me? The fact that I do a lot of my book reading on public transit, so a volume's compactness counts!

I adore those little reprints of classics issued by B&N in hardcover. They're hardly bigger than the palm of your hand (especially if you're a man) and printed on thin paper. Even my aging eyes are willing to cope with the small type in favor of the books' handiness. They're not always on display, though.

Alison Weir's "Six Wives of Henry VIII." I've never read a book of hers that hasn't been fascinating.

A few years ago, I was convinced that I would become a history professor, attending Oxford, studying in Paris, etc. etc....My bemused parents pretty much ended up buying me nearly all of Alison Weir's books...and I was riveted by them, even then.

Then, I guess I had an epiphany that I wanted to become a doctor :sweatingbullets: And, only three weeks ago, I had another epiphany that I want to pursue an MD/PhD. My poor parents, having to keep up with me!! :) Anyway, I still cherish the time I read those books and I am still extremely fascinated with that era.

Happy Holidays!

I finished "Life With Jeeves" which consisted of "Very Good, Jeeves", "Right Ho! Jeeves!", and "The Inimitable Jeeves". I don't know if I've ever LAUGHED so much in reading a book :)

I'm working on, yes, Nureyev's biography. It's an encyclopedia, and I think I'll probably purchase it, since it is such a nice reference (and the index! so specific!).

In addition to that, I also am signed up for a Political Science Class about Poli Theory and it's application to globablization (::eager::). Therefore, before the class begins, I need to read "The Communist Manifesto", "Two Treatises of Government", "The Leviathan", "The Prince" and "Discourses on Livy", as well as "significant other works by the following list of author" (the list was given to us). What fun! It should nicely balance out my premed courses.

I got a wonderful compliment from my roommate the other day, as I was reading...something by Stanislaw Lem....I think, and my roommate was watching football (gross) with some friends. One of the friends asked what I was reading, I replied, and my roommate said, "Anjali is one of the most well-read people I know, and she's not even pretentious about it!". good to know :sweatingbullets:

Leigh, if you own that book, you might just want to empower yourself to go ahead and break it up into small pieces! A couple years ago, I was busy complaining to someone about how my arthritis makes it hard for me to hold books so I'm not reading so much. She suggested getting someone to break the book apart for me into manageable sections. Voila! :sweatingbullets: I can read big books again! In fact, I now do it with paperbacks too. I got over the guilt of "ruining" books pretty quickly. What's the point of having them sitting on a bookshelf unread? Much better to literally tear into them :) and enjoy.

Am currently reading Umberto Eco's books. I missed that wave when The Name of the Rose first came out. I just finished The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana and was delighted to find Baudolino under my Christmas tree yesterday! I've also just begun his The History of Beauty. It's chock-full of pictures. :)

Initially, Eco made me feel ignorant and illiterate, but that turned fairly quickly into thrill at so many new worlds opening up.

I'm plodding through Robert Caro's biography of Robert Moses, "The Power Broker." Not because of the reading itself - the book is probably one of the most gripping biographies I have ever read in its full examination of power's use and misuse, but it's the size and weight of a small washing machine. I wish I could break it in small pieces so I could tuck it into my bag instead of saving specific times that I almost never have to read.

Whining aside, it's a great book. If you haven't read it and city planning - or New York - or just top-notch biography - fascinate you, it's worth your time.

I had no prior interest in city planning before reading The Power Broker and I've never lived in New York, but I too thought The Power Broker was a wonderful book, and despite its length was rarely tempted to skip around in it or peer at the back pages to see how much more there was to go. Never did I imagine I'd be that interested in the Major Deegan Expressway. It does get a wee bit repetitive - a pattern is established early on where Moses plans a project, citizens complain, citizens are ignored, their homes are destroyed and Moses moves on to the next project, where citizens complain, etc.

This thread reminds me what an illiterate I am.

I doubt it. :) As I get older I've adjusted to the fact that I'm just not going to get round to reading everything. We do our best.

Leigh, if you own that book, you might just want to empower yourself to go ahead and break it up into small pieces! A couple years ago, I was busy complaining to someone about how my arthritis makes it hard for me to hold books so I'm not reading so much. She suggested getting someone to break the book apart for me into manageable sections. Voila! :) I can read big books again! In fact, I now do it with paperbacks too. I got over the guilt of "ruining" books pretty quickly. What's the point of having them sitting on a bookshelf unread? Much better to literally tear into them :D and enjoy.

I've heard that tip from someone, too, but I haven't been able to bring myself to do it yet. But you're quite right - better to read it and benefit from it than have it pristine and unread on the shelf.

I will be tempted by the amazon Kindle, once there's some history on the battery. (I had such bad luck with iPods with hard drives that I never got to the point where the battery died, but I'm sure a battery issue with my beloved Nano is in my future.) And probably a redesign or two.

The specs say it weighs 10.3 ounces. All I need is one of those hook-ups like in eye doctors' offices -- the rod that flies directly overhead to drop down the little eye chart for the test where you tell the doc when the two dots align. Hang a Kindle from there, and it's hands-free until pressing a button to "turn" a page.

In the future, selectronic readers could cut down library costs considerably: the books can be downloaded to an electronic device. Cataloguing can be done electronically. Limited-use licenses can go through the library; no need to stock mega amounts of copies for best sellers, and the license can expire automatically at the end of the borrowing period. (No need to collect fines or process them.) Once a book usage has settled, then physical copies can be purchases in reasonable quantities, if wanted. More opportunities for learning, especially ESL programs, and text books can be updated automatically, instead of waiting for supplements or new print editions. Rare books could be photoed/scanned and could be perused without human hands touching the delicate paper.

I would not be surprised if the turning point will come when Boomers are no longer physically comfortable holding books.

Highlight book excerpts, and instant term paper and thesis notes and outlines, with the bibliography and citations pre-formatted in a chosen format. Suspect plaguarism? Do an instant electronic search on the excerpt. Reading and want to cross-reference or fact-check? Online through the EVDO connection. (My Internet connectivity is through EDVO, and I can use it anywhere I can get Spring cell-phone coverage.)

I would love to be able to purchase and download a book file -- or delete! -- and buy the print version if I loved the book and wanted a physical copy. (That would probably be print on demand.) The environmental savings could be staggering, between trees and the amount of oil needed to transport physical books.

Initially, Eco made me feel ignorant and illiterate, but that turned fairly quickly into thrill at so many new worlds opening up.Am currently reading Umberto Eco's books. I missed that wave when The Name of the Rose first came out.

Forgot to add to my earlier post that I felt bad about it but I was unable to get through The Name of the Rose. I should try one of his other books these days.

Just started Nancy Mitford's Love in a Cold Climate.

I'm plodding through Robert Caro's biography of Robert Moses, "The Power Broker."... it's a great book. If you haven't read it and city planning - or New York - or just top-notch biography - fascinate you, it's worth your time.

I would like this. I just read, just before going there again, a coffee-table book 'Picturing Los Angeles', which someone left downstairs, it's from 2006 and by Jon and Nancy Wilkman. Love reading about my favourite cities and their histories, and this one was especially good. There's a peculiar sense of achievement from actually reading coffee-table books instead of just looking through them, and this one was top-notch.

As for Eco, the only fiction I've read is 'The Island of the Day Before', which I found unbearable, don't know why I finished it. Also heard him read at YMHA a few years ago. Can't say that made me a fan either. But there are many people who like this kind of thing. I find it contrived and tedious.

you might just want to empower yourself to go ahead and break it up into small pieces!

I do this only with guidebooks, but quite freely with them, in order to save packing space. Other books I prefer to keep whole unless I give them away or throw them out.

I love Lee Childs' books. He is British but now living in America. He writes about Jack Reacher, who was from an army family and in the military police. Being from an army family he had travelled the world and never really knew his country so is drifting around America and finding himself embroiled in situations. Although they are violent and may be classed as pulp fiction, I find them so well written that I cannot easily pick up another book when I have finished one of his.

What do American posters think of them?

I also enjoy conspiracy theory novels and recently have enjoyed books by Sam Bourne and Paul Sussman.

I am currently reading and enjoying The Book of Air and Shadows by Michael Gruber (about a lost Shakespeare play/manuscript).

I've not read the Harry Potter books (but I enjoyed the films) but I would love to know what is the difference between the British and American editions, apart from the spelling.