This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Kirov - North American Tour, Autumn 2006

Sorry - should have chosen my words more carefully. I didn't mean to imply that she herself left the shows, but wanted to illustrate how her name suddenly came off the cast lists each time she was scheduled to appear here. For the 2003 Bayadere/Jewels performances, she chose at the last minute to guest with The Royal Ballet in London as a replacement for an injured Darcey Bussell.

Sorry - should have chosen my words more carefully. I didn't mean to imply that she herself left the shows, but wanted to illustrate how her name suddenly came off the cast lists each time she was scheduled to appear here. For the 2003 Bayadere/Jewels performances, she chose at the last minute to guest with The Royal Ballet in London as a replacement for an injured Darcey Bussell.

Again, art076, Pavlenko herself didn't chose at the last minute to guest with The Royal Ballet in London. The management of the Royal Ballet invited her to replace another guest who turned out to be unavailable. It's once more a reminder of how unreliable these preliminary casts are. It's not the dancers doing. Of course, as you'll understand, such an invitation was an offer she couldn't possibly refuse...

For those of you who have not gotten tickets for Swan Lake yet, I would do so soon.

My visit today to the OCPAC ticket office showed that most orchestra and first tier tickets were sold for all performances. There were only a handful of scattered seats on the sides, and not many of those. I didn't check availability for 2nd tier or above. But it looks like sales are extremely strong.

Geier has it right.

Lopatkina offers the epitome of Mariinsky's aesthetic of purity in classical dance.

Somova, a coryphee (the upper rank of the corps de ballet),

is being promoted by the Mariinsky powers-that- be as principal dancer potential.

Many people, including me, scratch their heads over this. But they may be right. Who knows?

The other lead choices between these two offer many many riches.

For me the future is Pavlenko.

I agree 100% - Lopatkina & Pavlenko. If you could go to 3 I would add Vishneva, but in this company she would not be in my top 2. I haven’t seen Lopatkina in Swan Lake but I’ve seen her in other things and she is a wonderful and unique ballerina. With her steely technique, long lines, exotic face and classical purity I can understand why people speak of her as the Odette of her generation.

I have seen Pavlenko’s Swan Lake & it is the most moving I’ve seen since Makarova’s. Her interpretation is very traditional. She is small, with classical proportions and a very fluid quality of movement. If you like the sad, hopeless variety of Odette you will love her. I’m a little nervous about seeing her partnered by Sarafanov, but her performance with Zelensky is not open to the public. If for some reason you are able to get tickets to that one - GO. Sarafanov is a great soloist, but not the world’s best partner. Zelensky is not that young anymore, but he is still wonderful.

Vishneva is an extraordinary dancer, I would go see her in anything. She is always fascinating but Swan Lake is not her best role so if you have to choose 2 I’d go with Lopatkina & Pavlenko. Since I am only going to Chicago for the weekend I didn't have the option of seeing Vishneva on opening night. I got tickets for Fri night , Sat night & Sunday mat before the casting was announced. If it holds I’m going catch Somova’s performance in addition to Lopatkina & Pavlenko. I’ve only seen Somova once, and tend to agree with the consensus that she’s too green and too obsessed with hyperextentions. Still, I’m kind of curious to see if she tames it down for Swan Lake or spends the whole night scratching her ear with her foot :)

I am so excited! My ticket for Uliana's Oct 20 O/O at the O.C. Perf. Arts Center has arrived! I've seen Pavlenko and she's absolutely awesome! I've never seen Uliana and I want to compare two great ballerinas in the same role!

Some trivia: This will be the first time since 1986 that the Maryinsky will bring the Sergeyev "Swan Lake" back to L.A. They brought Vinogradov's re-dux in 1992 and it was, well . . . it was. That's the most diplomatic way I can describe that production. And yes, I agree: By all means avoid A. Somova.

I am excited too, cygnet! My series night is for Romeo and Juliet but I was able to get a ticket for Saturday eve. with Somova (I am just too curious about all the hubbub!) and with Vishniva on Sunday matinee. I love Uliana and yet I have seen her recently in other ballets, so opted to open myself to other artists and take advantage of this visit!

:blush: How do I find out the casting for the Ottawa show??? I've great seats for "Swan Lake" and my dancer son will be attending and is interested in the cast.

OK - just read the entire thread, found the named link and discovered that Vishneva and Fadeev will be performing Sat at 8PM. Thanks!

I've seen Lopatkina in Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty, Bayadierka (to name just three roles), and she has been spectacular (except for one off-night of Sleeping Beauty that she was upstaged by Vishneva).

This go around I'll get to see Vishneva only... at the O.C. in both Romeo & Juliet & Swan Lake.

Look forward to the performances and will post my comments.

I have seen Pavlenko’s Swan Lake & it is the most moving I’ve seen since Makarova’s. Her interpretation is very traditional. She is small, with classical proportions and a very fluid quality of movement...
Now I *really* want to see her in Swan Lake... I've seen her before in smaller roles (including 'Leningrad Symphony' this Spring in St. Petersburg) and liked her very much.

...too bad she won't be dancing in O.C. :wink:

I'm so bad at this. I'll be at the Kirov performances in Orange County Tues., Thurs., Fri., and Sat. nights. If other Ballet Talk members are going to be there perhaps we could meet. I don't know where, or how we'll distinguish ourselves. If interested PM me.

Giannina

I have seen Pavlenko’s Swan Lake & it is the most moving I’ve seen since Makarova’s. Her interpretation is very traditional. She is small, with classical proportions and a very fluid quality of movement. If you like the sad, hopeless variety of Odette you will love her. I’m a little nervous about seeing her partnered by Sarafanov, but her performance with Zelensky is not open to the public. If for some reason you are able to get tickets to that one - GO.

Interesting observations, but is 1,70 m small? :wink:

Giannina....I will be there with single ticket on Sat. evening....sitting in orchestra front.

We should meet up! I am so curioius about this cast.....would be fun to chat with you.

I have to remember that it is a 7:30 curtain! Name a location.......at intermission or before performance?

I have seen Pavlenko’s Swan Lake & it is the most moving I’ve seen since Makarova’s. Her interpretation is very traditional. She is small, with classical proportions and a very fluid quality of movement. If you like the sad, hopeless variety of Odette you will love her. I’m a little nervous about seeing her partnered by Sarafanov, but her performance with Zelensky is not open to the public. If for some reason you are able to get tickets to that one - GO.

Interesting observations, but is 1,70 m small? :wink:

It's a bit less than 5 and a half feet. Relatively speaking, how "small" is that?

Funny, she's always looked small to me. Perhaps it's more a mater of perception, body type and size relative to others. Vishneva may not be much taller than Pavlenko but to me Vishneva reads tall onstage, and Pavlenko reads small. Also, I find Pavlenko's proportions more symmetrical than many of the Mariinsky's current ballerinas - Lopatkina, Vishneva and Somova all have long legs relative to their torsos which I think makes them look taller. I guess you also have to think about who they are onstage with - the first time I saw Pavlenko was in Swan Lake with Zelensky, then in "In the Middle" with Kondurova where she looked really tiny, and then with Kolb in Giselle. I'm sure she'll look big next to Sarafanov :-) :)

Performances begin to night in Orange County! :-)

I've arrived late to this thread after being mind blogglingly busy at work...

But if any BalletTalkers are there, it'd be great to say 'hello' at intermission. A good spot for meetings has always seemed to be on Level 1 (not the very bottom level, but one up - I don't remember exactly what OCPAC calls this level), across from the main concession area, next to the big television monitor. It's a spacious area, and fairly central. Does that sound good to anyone?

Going to tonight's performance (Vishneva), as well as definitely going to Friday (Lopatikina), Saturday afternoon (Tereshkina) and Sunday afternoon (Vishneva). And maybe more R&J's if I end up liking today's!

Going to tonight's performance (Vishneva), as well as definitely going to Friday (Lopatikina), Saturday afternoon (Tereshkina) and Sunday afternoon (Vishneva). And maybe more R&J's if I end up liking today's!
Too bad I didn't get to see your post until after the performance... :)

But I will be back in SoCal for Sunday's performance, so perhaps we'll get to meet then.

If any other BTers are planning on being there, please feel free to PM me so we can figure out a way to meet.

I have an extra ticket for tonights performance of Romeo and Julliet....any one interested? Complimentary, ofcourse! These are my seasaon tkts......in Row J orchestra center. Who ever PMs me first.....I will check my email often.....

FREE TICKET for Wednesday Kirov Romeo and Juliet!