This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Kirov - North American Tour, Autumn 2006

Moderator's note: This thread combines the earlier thread for the Kirov in OC and the Kirov in Boston. BT-ers should feel free to post any news regarding any of the four venues, as well as news about the tour in general in this spot. We'll open a thread for tour reviews next month.

Good news:

Kirov Ballet and Orchestra

Swan Lake

Following their triumphant 2003 Boston appearance, The Kirov Ballet returns for their only east coast engagement to showcase their incomparable production of Swan Lake. With Tchaikovsky's masterpiece score, and Marius Petipa's and Lev Ivanov's classic original choreography, Swan Lake is one of The Kirov Ballet's signature works.

November 9-12 | The Wang Theatre

http://www.celebrityseries.org/06_07_home.htm

Edited by carbro
Good news:

Kirov Ballet and Orchestra

Swan Lake

Following their triumphant 2003 Boston appearance, The Kirov Ballet returns for their only east coast engagement to showcase their incomparable production of Swan Lake. With Tchaikovsky's masterpiece score, and Marius Petipa's and Lev Ivanov's classic original choreography, Swan Lake is one of The Kirov Ballet's signature works.

November 9-12 | The Wang Theatre

http://www.celebrityseries.org/06_07_home.htm

Thanks, Dale. That is right after their appearances in Ottawa and Chicago. All links on For Ballet Lovers Only

Lopatkina perhaps, for the opening night. After that, don't be surprised to see Somova, Gumerova, another Somova, then Vostrotina, and finally a third Somova. The usual pattern.

Natalia you're depressing me and I'm trying to think positive because this is definitely a road trip I will make! :blink: At least it could be someone like Tereshkina! Or Bolshakova! Knock on wood ...

Lopatkina perhaps, for the opening night. After that, don't be surprised to see Somova, Gumerova, another Somova, then Vostrotina, and finally a third Somova. The usual pattern.

I'm hoping for Lopatkina and also hoping that they'll repeat the leading cast twice. They have done that recently with Pavlenko scheduled twice in Giselle at the Ken Center and the Vishneva/Lopatkina cast of Sleeping Beauty performed twice at every venue on that tour. I have 2 nephews in the Chicago area who've never been to the ballet so I may make a weekend trip, but there's no way I can go from Wed - Sunday. I have so overspent my budget this year that I might wind up just taking the bus to Boston for a Sunday matinee & coming right back home Sunday night. We'll see...

and the Vishneva/Lopatkina cast of Sleeping Beauty performed twice at every venue on that tour.

nysusan,

Do you mean last Fall's MT Sleeping Beauty tour in La, Bay Area, and Detroit?

Even though they announced Vishneva for Detroit, she said repeatedly on her web site that she would do the 2 California locations, but not Detroit; she had another committment.

So for particular dancers (especially ones without web sites), you have to watch very closely.

I was toying with going to Detroit, really for Vishneva, when it was clear that she wasn't going I gave up the idea.

Richard

and the Vishneva/Lopatkina cast of Sleeping Beauty performed twice at every venue on that tour.

nysusan,

Do you mean last Fall's MT Sleeping Beauty tour in La, Bay Area, and Detroit?

Even though they announced Vishneva for Detroit, she said repeatedly on her web site that she would do the 2 California locations, but not Detroit; she had another committment.

So for particular dancers (especially ones without web sites), you have to watch very closely.

I was toying with going to Detroit, really for Vishneva, when it was clear that she wasn't going I gave up the idea.

Richard

Yes Richard, that's the tour I was talking about and of course you're right about Vishneva. I went to the LA performances and I'd forgotten that they'd advertised her as appearing in all 3 cities even though she kept saying that she wasn't going to dance in Detroit. Well, I'll still keep my fingers crossed & hope to catch Lopatkina on a Sunday matinee. It's just too inconvenient (and too costly) to travel for a mid week opening night this time. Actually what I may do is head out to Chicago to see them over the weekend with my nephews and just pick up a last minute ticket for Boston if Lopatkina winds up only dancing the opening nights. That's if she makes the trip at all!

Susan

IMO, the Boston casting is, to put it mildly, very disturbing. I think it's interesting that Mlles. Somova,

Gumerova and Vostrotina are all in Madame Vazieva's stable of proteges - and that crew is below standard. Obviously, there's some lofty strategic plan going on with the casting policies; and what that is exactly, I can't put my finger on. I've given up trying to figure it out. If this holds, the only P.D. cast as Odette/Odile will be Lopatkina. IMO, this is no way to treat international audiences. If I book for the East it will be the Royal at Kennedy.

Indeed, we are still guessing but those were the Odette/Odiles in recent London & Paris tours. Maybe Boston & Chicago will top London & Paris? :cool:

Maybe the Kirov will shock us and present the worthiest-possible lineup: Lopatkina, Vishneva & Pavlenko alternating evenings; Tereshkina at a matinee. That's it - that's all. Who wants to place bets on that happening? Going once - going twice? :)

Indeed, we are still guessing but those were the Odette/Odiles in recent London & Paris tours. Maybe Boston & Chicago will top London & Paris? :cool:

Maybe the Kirov will shock us and present the worthiest-possible lineup: Lopatkina, Vishneva & Pavlenko alternating evenings; Tereshkina at a matinee. That's it - that's all. Who wants to place bets on that happening? Going once - going twice? :)

Since this is multiple choice, I predict the management will pick the London/Paris lineup - in the same order.

In Paris we got : Lopatkina for the opening night, then Somova and Bolshakova.

I saw Bolshakova while Lopatkina had been announced (on a matinee), and I so regretted it that I would recommend booking for the opening night if you can make it... Although promising, she's indeed below standard, and I was much happier when I saw the POB do the ballet a couple of months later. ;)

Maybe the Kirov will shock us and present the worthiest-possible lineup: Lopatkina, Vishneva & Pavlenko alternating evenings; Tereshkina at a matinee. That's it - that's all. Who wants to place bets on that happening? Going once - going twice? :wub:

Some bits off news from Vishneva's site. Evidently the tour will include Ottawa as well as Boston and Chicago.

Per Vishneva's performance schedule she lists "Oct 24 Swan Lake Chicago Boston, Ottawa, Mariinsky"

Surely not all three on the same date.

She also list Costa Mesa, Oct 2 R&J, Swan Lake, Mariinsky.

Obviously this is all a bit sketchy.

But she seems to be very good about updating the performance schedule on her site so I guess for us here in the US and Canada, the thing to do is wait and see.

Richard

In Orange County's (Costa Mesa) season announcement release, the Kirov blurb stated that casting was to include "Diana Vishneva, Uliana Lopatkina, Andrian Fateev, Elena Vostrotina, Olga Esina, Alina Somova, Olesia Novikova and Natalia Sologub" - and that was for the Romeo & Juliet and Swan Lake run. Looks like, from schedules elsewhere, that Costa Mesa is the first stop on the tour so this might indicate who is initially scheduled to travel with the tour.

Of cousre we all know this can change, and there is no indication anywhere else in the release who is dancing what, but hopefully this means that if Lopatkina is traveling, she will get at least one Swan Lake.

According to Diana Vishneva's site:

Nov 12 2006 Boston (USA): Mariinsky (The Waug Center) Swan Lake

Nov 1 2006 Chicago (USA): Mariinsky (Audit. Theatre) Swan Lake

Oct 28 2006 Ottawa (Canada): Mariinsky (Nat.Arts Centre) Swan Lake

Oct 22 2006 Costa Mesa (USA): Mariinsky (Orange County) Swan Lake

Oct 17 2006 Costa Mesa (USA): Mariinsky (Orange County) Romeo & Juliet

Found more casting details in a new press release for the Orange County engagement... no specific dates, but at least all the ballerinas are named - it'll be a cast change at each performance. This will surely be wreaking havoc on my wallet!

Relevant portions, excerpted from the release:

For performances Oct 17-19 (R&J) - "The cast of Romeo and Juliet will include Diana Vishneva, Irina Golub, Yevgenia Obraztsova, Andrian Fadeev and Igor Kolb."

For performances Oct 20-22 (Swan Lake) - "The cast of Swan Lake will feature Uliana Lopatkina, Diana Vishneva, Victoria Tereshkina, Alina Somova, Igor Zelensky, Danila Korsuntsev, Igor Kolb and Andrian Fadeev."

That's 7 distinct pairings. Now to wait and see when specifically they will be cast!

http://www.ocpac.org/about/PressDetail.asp...ssReleaseID=516

For performances Oct 17-19 (R&J) - "The cast of Romeo and Juliet will include Diana Vishneva, Irina Golub, Yevgenia Obraztsova, Andrian Fadeev and Igor Kolb."

For performances Oct 20-22 (Swan Lake) - "The cast of Swan Lake will feature Uliana Lopatkina, Diana Vishneva, Victoria Tereshkina, Alina Somova, Igor Zelensky, Danila Korsuntsev, Igor Kolb and Andrian Fadeev."

Diana Vishneva's site lists her dates as the 17th and 22nd.

That's 7 distinct pairings. Now to wait and see when specifically they will be cast!

http://www.ocpac.org/about/PressDetail.asp...ssReleaseID=516

GREEN, GREEN, GREEN!!!!!!

I'm taking a weekend trip to Chicago so hopefully I'll catch Lopatkina and Tereshkina in Swan Lake, but I sure am jealous of you getting to see Obraztsova in R&J.

Can't wait to hear your impressions...

Susan

Hooray! It's nice to have full casting.

But Pavlenko is skipping California again!! She ditched (at the last minute), the Hollywood-Orange County Bayadere/Jewels tour in 2002, mysteriously disappeared for the LA Sleeping Beauty tour in 2004, and now she's not doing the OC leg of the run. The rest of you are very lucky to see her Swan Lake.

But not that I'm complaining about the rest of the casts...

Hooray! It's nice to have full casting.

But Pavlenko is skipping California again!! She ditched (at the last minute), the Hollywood-Orange County Bayadere/Jewels tour in 2002, mysteriously disappeared for the LA Sleeping Beauty tour in 2004, and now she's not doing the OC leg of the run. The rest of you are very lucky to see her Swan Lake.

But not that I'm complaining about the rest of the casts...

It would be great that dancers, be they principals of the Mariinsky, were able to choose when and where to perform before their numerous admirers. Regret it or not but this is still not the case.

I understand your disappointment, art076, but could you please keep in mind that Pavlenko hasn't "ditched" or "skipped" anything. And disappearing in a mysterious matter from preliminary cast lists isn't really her forte either.

If she is not appearing again in California, than that's entirely due to the decision of her director and/or the tour impresario.

Enjoy the Mariinsky!