This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Are Ballet Lovers Cat People or Dog People

Two tidbits:

In Sylvie Guillem's book "Invitation," there is a rather hilarious juxtaposition of a two-page spread of Sylvie stretching followed by a two-page spread of a cat lazing.

...and how can a thread like this be without a mention of

Dancing With Cats?

Well, I hope to have a long, careful look at that delightful-appearing site a bit later. Thanks, Koshka! And folks, you realize that Koshka means "cat!" So we know which side you're on!

I had a sweet little orange kitty named Minou. Alas, she didn't live long (only 8 months.) She seemed to think she was a dog...would come when you whistled, would sit pretty for a treat, would play fetch, and best of all...would "do ballet." This was a bit of a variation on sit pretty with the addition of a few steps on hind legs to make about 3/4 of a turn. Quite cute. Had she had a longer life, my other half and I are confident she would have been about to do a "double" within a few months! She was wonderful.

This topic brings to mind my mother, God Bless her soul, who gave me a love for both cats and dance. I don't think she could have been happier than when she had a cat on her lap while watching a Fred Astaire movie. Today, my family would not be complete without those beautiful and funny creatures. Luckily, my husband is a patient man who also has affection for all pets in general. I have a tabby, Roxanna, with very pronounced markings on her face. It looks like perfectly applied stage make-up for a sylph, especially the dramatic eye liner. Then there is KC, our solid white kitty with big green eyes. She is 19 now, but in her heyday she was the White Cat of Sleeping Beauty.

I have also noticed a couple of our cats like to watch the movement of dancers on some of the ballet DVD's. They like the men's high jumps and turns and the willis in Act II of Giselle. But, truth be told, they prefer watching ice skaters over dancers. I think it makes them jealous to think that a mere human can move in that manner. I, being a good cat mom and wanting to keep their self esteem intact, always explain to them the special circumstances that enables people to do that. But it's nice to know they can appreciate lovely movement too - other than birds flying past the window. :wallbash:

Another cat dancer for the record: Nikolai Tsiskaridze. He owns one too!

As regards whether dancers tend more to owning cats than dogs, I think that cats will naturally seem to come out the winners because they are easier to keep in flats. Most dancers just don't have the space to accommodate boisterous Siberian Huskies or Rotweilers.

I think that cats will naturally seem to come out the winners because they are easier to keep in flats. Most dancers just don't have the space to accommodate boisterous Siberian Huskies or Rotweilers.
You may be surprised to know the number and sizes of dogs some people keep in their flats. On the other hand, it is more likely to actually spot a dog owner than a cat owner, since people rarely take their cats outside. Let them out, perhaps, but not as a feline-human duo/trio/quartet, etc.
I have also noticed a couple of our cats like to watch the movement of dancers on some of the ballet DVD's. They like the men's high jumps and turns and the willis in Act II of Giselle. But, truth be told, they prefer watching ice skaters over dancers. :blink:

I photographed one of my cats, when she was about a year old, sitting, looking at the TV, while I was watching the old Berlin recording of the 4T's. The next minute she reached up to touch the screen.....and I got that also! I mounted them together and called it "'Princess' Studying the finer points of the 4 T's" (name changed to protect the silly.)

Does one ever "own" a cat? The other way around, in my experience, which is vast.

True, zerbinetta. Maybe this thread should read "Are ballet lovers more often dog-owners or cat-owned?"

Personally, I own two dogs, and one cat owns me.

This reminds me of that saying,"Dogs have owners, cats have staff."

"Dogs come when called. Cats have answering machines." :blink:

That is very good, "dogs come when called; cats have answering machines" !

We share our apartment with a cat, and I loooooove dogs and cats both. :)

Ideally there would be several of each around all the time.

(I grew up with two felines and at least one canine at all times, plus diverse fish, turtles, frogs, a bird...)

Someone mentioned that many dancers perhaps kept cats because it was easier in an apartment.

That was sure the case for myself.

It is why I ended up with a cat - and not a dog - when I was still dancing.

A cat tends to fit easier into small places than does a dog.

However, I have not given up all hope of having a dog again. :)

-d-

We have birds. But no firebirds or even bluebirds, alas.

So it must be swans right? Wow! - how many? .... the full set? - one top swan, two secondary swans, four signets and a bunch of other swans? :)

I am a dog person without a dog. I had a beautiful 'pet' moth in my last flat. Well it was just there really... very low maintenance, the perfect pet for living in a big city.

I am a dog person. I like cats too but unfortunately am allergic. I think most dancers are more likely cat people because of their long hours, touring, etc. I do remember fondly, back in the 80's when there would be a whole line-up of dogs sleeping in the corner of the room during Maggie Black's class!

So it must be swans right? Wow! - how many? .... the full set? - one top swan, two secondary swans, four signets and a bunch of other swans? :clapping:

This is getting way off-topic, but I once lived near a canal with swans in residence. They seemed brave and would hiss if you came too close. Like the corps protecting Odette in Act II?

That works for male dogs only. Female dogs prefer a version of grand plie in second. No fire hydrant required.

Our (male) dog, when in pursuit of a tennis ball in the air, can occasionally be seen doing tour jete, brise vole, and even cabriole ouverte in 1st arabesque. :wallbash: