This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2007 Met Season

Online ticket sales are scheduled to begin Sunday at 12 noon here:

http://www.metoperafamily.org/metopera/season/abt/

Updated casting is given for each date. If it is like last year, you select a section and the site offers specific seats. You might wish to register on the site before sales begin, especially given the apparently high subscription sales this season.

Yes, you get exact seat locations. Very nice.

The website is a bit slow today, probably a lot of activity.

I bopped around various performances, the only one I saw that didn't have none or just one location sold

out was the Ferri Farewell Romeo. The website shows ALL locations sold except Family Circle. This may be a bit misleading as there may be partial view box seats available but the Met likes to sell them only at the BO so that that they can be sure ticket buyers know what they are getting. Actually, in my experience, if you are very carefull, some of the box seats are not so bad.

Something else I noticed on the Met website regarding standing room

Standing Room Tickets: Orchestra Standing Room tickets will be available beginning at 10am on the day of the performance. Family Circle Standing Room tickets will also be available on the "day of" for Saturday performances, and Monday through Friday performances when Family Circle Seating is sold out. Tickets are subject to availability and limited to two per person. Please note that a $5.50 per ticket service charge will apply.

This is a new policy this season at the opera. It did make some sense because Mo-Fr Family Circle seats and the FC standing room were the same price.

But will Standing Room for ABT be $24 for the Family Circle???????

One other thing, I didn't actually go all the way through with itbut I was testing buying a Standing Room online some months ago. Imagine that? I guess we'll see

I was at The Met today and picked up a copy of the latest casting sheet that is available where the various brochures are kept in the lobby. It is dated April 3rd. Desmond Richardson has been replaced as TBA with Ferri in Othello on May 24th. However, the website calendar still has him listed.

Just back from a very enjoyable Andrea Chenier at The Met. While there, I picked up yet another ABT casting sheet, this one dated April 6th. GOMES is now listed to dance with Ferri in Othello on May 24th. This will be extraordinary!

Great, I'm looking forward to that. I wonder what the deal was with Richardson though.

I heard Chenier over the radio

I wonder what the deal was with Richardson though.

I dunno. Have always wanted to see Ferri and Gomes together in something dramatic. I've wished for a Romeo and Juliet and cannot begin to imagine what that would be like. There's still time for ABT to tweak the schedule. I think we, as devoted, hard working, ticket-buying loyalists, deserve (yes, deserve) a Gomes-Ferri Romeo and Juliet. I feel a petition evolving.

Keeping in mind that Gomes is coming back from an injury, I thought the following performance tally for the Met season (extracted from bios on the website) was interesting:

7 - Beloserkovsky

7 - Carreno

13 - Corella

7 - Cornejo

19 - Gomes

14 - Hallberg

6 - Malakhov

11 - Stiefel

It just doesn't look final to me.

Keeping in mind that Gomes is coming back from an injury, I thought the following performance tally for the Met season (extracted from bios on the website) was interesting:

... 19 - Gomes

It just doesn't look final to me.

Very good point. And this doesn't count the Gala, nor two or three Rothbarts, his great role in Swan Lake, that is nearly comparable to dancing Siegfried. Moreover, he gets to lift some of the heaviest ballerinas. I recall Hallberg's comments last year on The Winger as to how killing dancing the male lead in Cinderella was for him and Gomes. And that comes at season's end.

NOT so accurate TALLIES:

Sorry (Hagland?) but your tallies are wrong because you included the March performance tour dates for each dancer. Corrected tallies for MET season only (NOT including any possible Gala perfomance) per 4/10/07 ABT website:

MB-7

JMC-5

AC-11

HC-4

MG-19

DH-9

VM-6

ES-9

Of course all is subject to change by ABT management, or more advanced mathematicians/statisticians.

Yikes! You're right. But that makes Gomes's total look even more unlikely doesn't it? I mean, 19 performances with the closest next total Corella with 11. I'm now beginning to wonder about those Sleeping Beauty dates, and whether he and Part are just keeping the spaces warm for someone else - like Ananiashvili. This male casting is really very lopsided.

Yikes! You're right. But that makes Gomes's total look even more unlikely doesn't it? I mean, 19 performances with the closest next total Corella with 11. I'm now beginning to wonder about those Sleeping Beauty dates, and whether he and Part are just keeping the spaces warm for someone else - like Ananiashvili. This male casting is really very lopsided.

Hmm, I agree about Gomes' total looking really out of keeping with the others.

I can't imagine that they would announce the world premiere of Sleeping Beauty as Part and Gomes as a placeholder however. They would have left it TBA, as it was until a few weeks ago.

I do suspect you are right that some of Gomes' castings will go away, however. 19 is a LOT more than anyone else...

The Met ticket site has posted casting for ABT's Opening Night:

Monday, May 14, 2007, 6:30 pm

Company, Dvorovenko, Part, Vishneva, Wiles, Beloserkovsky, Lang-Lang, Reyes, Cornejo, Kent, Carreño, Ananiashvili, Corella, Ferri, Gomes, Herrera, Murphy, Hallberg, Stiefel

http://www.metoperafamily.org/metopera/season/abt/

In detail:

La Bayadère Act II excerpts: Company

2.The Sleeping Beauty excerpts: Irina Dvorovenko, Veronika Part, Diana Vishneva, Michele Wiles, Maxim Beloserkovsky

Piece d'Occasion: Lang- Lang

Romeo & Juliet Balcony PdD: Xiomara Reyes, Erica Cornejo

Manon Act I PdD: Julie Kent, Jose Manuel Carreño

Swan Lake Act III PdD: Nina Ananiashvili, Angel Corella

Othello Act III PdD: Alessandra Ferri, Marcelo Gomes

La Bayadère Act I excerpts: Paloma Herrera, Gillian Murphy, David Hallberg, Ethan Stiefel

I suspect they've got a first name wrong for R&J!

Still not up on ABT's site, so there's still time to beat the rush on the box office (and three sections are sold out already). I especially welcome the chance to see Ferri/Gomes in the Othello PdD without having to sit through the whole boring score.

I especially welcome the chance to see Ferri/Gomes in the Othello PdD without having to sit through the whole boring score.

Ditto.

PS. As of 3pm today, Erica must have informed the Met/ABT she was otherwise occupied, because Juliet will now have a Romeo danced by Herman Cornejo.

The official word on the Opening Night Gala:

PIANIST LANG LANG TO PERFORM

AT AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE’S OPENING NIGHT SPRING GALA

MONDAY, MAY 14, 6:30 P.M. AT METROPOLITAN OPERA HOUSE

A special performance by acclaimed concert pianist Lang Lang will highlight American Ballet Theatre’s Spring Gala on Monday evening, May 14 at 6:30 P.M. at the Metropolitan Opera House. The evening, which opens ABT’s 2007 Spring engagement, will feature ABT’s Principal Dancers performing highlights from the season.

In his first appearance with American Ballet Theatre, Lang Lang will perform Frédéric Chopin’s Waltz in A minor, Op. 34, No. 2, accompanied on-stage by ABT’s dancers performing a pas de deux created especially for the evening by choreographer Brian Reeder. Lang Lang will also perform Franz Liszt’s Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2.

Additional highlights of ABT’s Opening Night performance include excerpts from the upcoming World Premiere of The Sleeping Beauty with performances by Michele Wiles, Veronika Part, Diana Vishneva, Irina Dvorovenko and Maxim Beloserkovsky. The evening will also feature Xiomara Reyes and Herman Cornejo in the balcony pas de deux from Romeo and Juliet, Julie Kent and Jose Manuel Carreño performing the Act I pas de deux from Manon, Nina Ananiashvili and Angel Corella in the pas de deux from Swan Lake Act III, Alessandra Ferri and Marcelo Gomes in the pas deux from Act III of Othello, and Paloma Herrera, David Hallberg, Gillian Murphy and Ethan Stiefel performing excerpts from Act I of La Bayadère.

ABT’s Spring Gala is sponsored by Carolina Herrera, Ltd., First American Title Insurance Company of New York, Graff, Griffon Corporation, Tivia & Richard Kramer, La Prairie and RexCorp Realty. Caroline Kennedy and Blaine Trump will serve as Honorary Chairmen for The Spring Gala and Co-Chairmen for the evening include Sloan Lindemann Barnett, Tory Burch, Susan Fales-Hill and Carolina Herrera. Underwriting Co-Chairmen include Maria and Henri Barguirdjjan, Arlene and Harvey Blau, Lynne Florio and Malcolm Sage, Tivia and Richard Kramer, Nora and James Orphanides and Debby and Scott Rechler. Vice Chairmen are Dassyi Olarte de Kanavos, Anne Grauso and Tara Rockefeller.

A Gala dinner under the Tent at Lincoln Center will immediately follow the performance. Gala benefit tickets priced at $1,500, $2,000 and $2,500 include the performance and post-performance dinner. For Gala benefit ticket information only, call American Ballet Theatre’s Special Events office at 212-477-3030, ext. 3239.

Performance-only tickets are priced $27-$140 and are available at the Metropolitan Opera House box office or by calling 212-362-6000. For more information, please visit ABT’s website at www.abt.org <http://www.abt.org/> .

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE

Metropolitan Opera House - Spring, 2007

Mon. Eve., May 14, 6:30 P.M. GALA – LA BAYADÈRE – Act II Shades opening adagio;

THE SLEEPING BEAUTY (Excerpts) –

Lilac Fairy (Act III) – Wiles;

Rose Adagio – Part;

Act II Variation – Vishneva;

Act III Grand Pas – Dvorovenko, Beloserkovsky;

PIÈCE D’OCCASION – Lang Lang;

ROMEO AND JULIET Balcony Pas de Deux – Reyes,

Cornejo

MANON Act I Pas de Deux – Kent, Carreño;

SWAN LAKE Act III Pas de Deux – Ananiashvili, Corella;

OTHELLO Act III Pas de Deux – Ferri, Gomes;

LA BAYADÈRE (Act I excerpts) -

Temple Pas de Deux – Herrera, Hallberg;

Gamzatti Pas D’Action Variation – Murphy;

Solor Pas D’Action Variation – Stiefel;

Pas D’Action Coda - Murphy

I just received a notice from ABT:

ABT is having a "special feature of the Shakespeare Festival" for subscribers to attend a talk about Romeo and Juliet at:

6:30 pm on Tuesday, 19 June at List Hall, Met Opera House

Admission $20

fearturing:

Alessandra Ferri

Moderator: Wendy Perron

If you stick around the MetOpera, the ABT is performing R&J that evening with Herrera and Gomez.