This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2007 Met Season

Is anyone else interested in the roles that Gillian Murphy has been cast in this spring? Desdemona, Juliet, Titania - all look like very interesting roles from her, and are outside of the usual Kitris, Gamzattis, Odette/Odiles she's normally cast in. Aurora seems like an obvious casting choice for her. It will be interesting to see the dramatic side of her in these other roles.

Is anyone else interested in the roles that Gillian Murphy has been cast in this spring? Desdemona, Juliet, Titania - all look like very interesting roles from her, and are outside of the usual Kitris, Gamzattis, Odette/Odiles she's normally cast in. Aurora seems like an obvious casting choice for her. It will be interesting to see the dramatic side of her in these other roles.

I noticed that as well. I'm rather interested to see what she makes of them--I tned to prefer her when she's given more obviously dramatic or comedic characters to do something with (the gf of the brother in Manon--where she was fabulous last year, Cinderella, etc). Juliet is new to her rep with the company is it not?

So where is Acosta???

Acosta on his official website still is mentioning ABT as "provisional" on his 2006/2007 schedule mentioning R&J, Manon, The Dream, Swan Lake et al. I sent him an inquiry e-mail via his website re: ABT Spring appearances and repertoire and if I get an answer may I share it with this board? My guess is that Acosta's schedule is still being filled in and there are enough TBA's on the ABT performance calendar to accomodate him.

Yay for Veronika getting two Nikiyas with Hallberg and Wiles as her co-stars! (I now formally withdraw any previous criticisms I hurled at the ABT management for denying Part her old Kirov roles). Yay also for several "Symphonie Concertante" performances with Wiles and Hallberg. She will almost certainly be dancing the Lilac Fairy in "The Sleeping Beauty". That plus her one Saturday matinee "Swan Lake" with Marcelo and this is shaping up as a good season for her.

Irina Dvorovenko is adding Manon, Nikiya and Aurora to her repertory with Max and that is excellent news. Marcelo Gomes is adding Othello, Prince Desiré/Florimund in "Beauty" and Solor in "Bayadere". I think Oberon in "The Dream" is new to him too, am I correct? Malakhov has a better than usual season with Des Grieux, Prince Desiré/Florimund and the addition of "Symphonie Concertante". If Ethan can't dance "Bayadere" with Diana, I hope Vladimir gets it, ditto the TBA "Swan Lake" with Diana. That pairing is very special. I am surprised that Alessandra Ferri is not doing "The Dream" as well since Titania stills seems a viable vehicle for her if she can get through "Manon". Nina Ananiashvili is doing Odette/Odile and Nikiya and has also done Aurora, Manon and Juliet in the past. The MacMillan roles might be good vehicles for her if she decides to go on into 2008 and 2009. I would have liked to see Diana Vishneva dance "Symphonie Concertante" as well but she is doing a lot (Odette/Odile, Manon, Juliet, Titania, Nikiya).

However, the repertory this upcoming season is looking fresher and more exciting than Spring 2006 with more of our favorites unveiling new roles and expanding their horizons.

At first glance this casting looks pretty fantastic. A Sleeping Beauty with Vishneva and Gomes is a must-buy! The return of Nina! I will probably watch Murphy in all her roles. She is shaping up to be ABT's main ballerina attraction aside from the guests, IMO. Nikiya is a very suitable role for Veronika Part.

At first glance this casting looks pretty fantastic. A Sleeping Beauty with Vishneva and Gomes is a must-buy! The return of Nina! I will probably watch Murphy in all her roles. She is shaping up to be ABT's main ballerina attraction aside from the guests, IMO. Nikiya is a very suitable role for Veronika Part.

Agreed. However I wish that Veronika was dancing "Bayadere" with Marcelo Gomes as I love seeing them together, her partner is Hallberg. However, hopefully both "Bayadere" and Veronika will be returning often and that casting is something to look forward to in years to come. Gillian and Irina as Aurora are certain but I think Wiles and perhaps Xiomara Reyes will be adding the role to their repertoire. Several "Beauty" casts are TBA right now. In fact except for some shifting of dancers and partners - Diana with Vladimir in "Swan Lake" and "La Bayadere" for example - and the lack of Acosta, there is nothing more to be desired here! Cornejo looks to be a little underchallenged, just repeating his usual repertory - though it will be wonderful to see his Bluebird again.

Does everyone know that, in addition to the casting calendar, the initial color subscription brochure is on the site?

http://www.abt.org/pdfs/2007MetBrochure.pdf

It took a night and a day to download, but it's worth it. The cover photo is from Romeo and Juliet and appears to be Hallberg and a just-stabbed Mercutio Cornejo down in the Meatpacking District underneath The Highline(??) Or maybe that's 14th Street. Not sure.

I noticed that the ABT website calendar has Julie Kent cast in Romeo and Juliet on Friday and then the following Saturday matinee, whereas the brochure shows Herrera for the Saturday matinee. There may be other discrepancies as well, but I haven't looked that closely at the print (am focusing on the photos.).

The good news is that prices only went up a little. And I really think that we can expect (and should hope for) some $15 or so tickets along the lines of the Met Opera pricing. The back of the Family Circle, the FC boxes and many of the Balcony Boxes were poorly sold last year at ABT (except for certain very big nights). Those seats are the same ones that the Met Opera now sells for $15 Monday through Friday.

If you don't have the patience for a PDF download and you are on ABT's mailing list, you should have yours within a couple of days. Mine came Saturday.

Good eye, Haglund's! Interesting that Renaissance Verona built elevated highways and used dumpsters of the same design we see today! :wallbash:

I agree, vipa.

The press release said, "The program will include George Balanchine’s Symphonie Concertante followed by Sir Frederick Ashton’s The Dream," which I read as " . . . plus a Pas de Deux." But apparently not.

It's a wonderful program, but I really wish ABT would offer at least two (hah! I used to argue for three) rep programs. Obviously, they've decided that the Met audience is less adventurous than the City Center audience and is not working very hard to expand the taste of the former. Disappointing indeed.

vipa and carbro, I agree. I think on the Met 2006 thread I complained that there was just one rep. program. With each week dominated by one evening-length ballet, it makes for a very predictable season. Don't get me wrong, I'll be going a bunch, just for the different casting.

The breakdown of the seasons is more pronounced than ever. Ironically enough, many works the company says it shows at City Center (for it's intimacy) were created for an opera house, like the Tharp pieces.

I just received an e-mail from Carlos Acosta's management, Rupert Rohan of Valid Worldwide Ltd., which I will share with you guys:

"Thank you for your e-mail.

Carlos is tentatively scheduled to dance on 22 June (Romeo & Juliet) and 26 June (Swan Lake) with ABT.

We are ironing out final details to his schedule, however, and we do hope to confirm dates very soon.

Regards

Rupert Rohan

For Valid Worldwide Limited

Management to Carlos Acosta"

Faux Pas now on the line:

Carlos has a very busy schedule both with the Royal Ballet and guest engagements and his own choreographic endeavors. So even these dates are tentative and may change but clearly they are working on it and it is not out of the question that he will dance with ABT next Spring/Summer.

More news from the company about the Spring 2007 engagement:

DESMOND RICHARDSON AND RASTA THOMAS TO APPEAR

AS GUEST ARTISTS WITH AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE

Richardson Returns to ABT to Reprise Title Role in Othello

Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie has announced the addition of Desmond Richardson as Principal Guest Artist and Rasta Thomas as Guest Artist to American Ballet Theatre’s 2007 roster.

Richardson and Thomas are scheduled to perform the title role in three performances of Lar Lubovitch’s Othello. Richardson, who created the title role with ABT in 1997, will reprise his performance on Thursday evening, May 24 at the Metropolitan Opera House, dancing opposite Alessandra Ferri as Desdemona. Thomas will make his debut with the Company at the January 13 matinee at The Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, DC. He will repeat the role, opposite Xiomara Reyes as Desdemona, on Wednesday evening, May 23 at the Metropolitan Opera House.

Principal Guest Artist Desmond Richardson was born in Sumter, South Carolina and grew up in Queens, New York. He studied at the High School of Performing Arts, the International Sommer Academie des Tanz in Koln, Germany, and at the Alvin Ailey Dance Center. In 1987, he joined the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater where he danced for eight years. From 1994-1996, he appeared as a soloist with Frankfurt Ballet and has also appeared as a guest artist with Royal Swedish Ballet. Richardson is co-artistic director, with Dwight Rhoden, of COMPLEXIONS Contemporary Ballet.

In 1998, Richardson joined the cast of Fosse for which he received a 1999 Tony Award nomination. He also appeared on Broadway in The Look of Love: The Songs of Burt Bacharach and Twyla Tharp’s Movin’ Out. He is featured in Patrick Swayze’s film, One Last Dance and the film version of Chicago, as well as the soon-to-be-released film Across the Universe, directed by Julie Taymor.

Richardson joined American Ballet Theatre as a Principal Dancer in January 1997. With ABT, he created the title role in Lar Lubovitch’s Othello, a leading role in Nacho Duato’s Remanso, and performed the roles of Tybalt in Romeo and Juliet and Carabosse in Sir Kenneth MacMillan’s The Sleeping Beauty.

Guest Artist Rasta Thomas was born in San Francisco and raised in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. He studied dance at the Kirov Academy in Washington, DC and received the Junior Gold Medal at the 1996 Varna International Ballet Competition. In 1998, he captured the Senior Gold Medal at the 1998 Jackson International Ballet Competition.

In 1995, Thomas joined Le Jeune Ballet de France, and, in 1997, became a Principal Artist with the Hartford Ballet. He has appeared as a guest artist with Kirov Ballet, The Joffrey Ballet, Dance Theatre of Harlem, Pacific Northwest Ballet, Victor Ullate Ballet, Inoue Ballet of Japan, the Universal Ballet of Korea and the National Ballet of Cuba. His film and stage credits include One Last Dance and Twyla Tharp’s Movin’ Out. Thomas has also performed in the works of choreographers Lar Lubovitch and Richard Move.