This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Company C Contemporary Ballet at Joyce SoHo

Did anyone see Company C Contemporary Ballet, Charles Anderson's lively little troupe from San Francisco at Joyce SoHo (155 Mercer St)? They are in town this weekend, and Jennifer Dunning gave them an appreciative review in today's Times. I am very fond of this small regional ballet company from the San Francisco Bay Area, and the work that Charles Anderson, a former NYCB dancer, is doing for our local dance community. He founded the new Oakland Dance Fesitval for small local companies, and he has been able to offer his dancers in Company C nine-month contracts, a real achievement these days. Every year, San Francisco Ballet offers Company C the use of one of its beautiful studios to put on a free public rehearsal during National Dance Week, and I always see members of SFB and its teaching staff in attendance. I don't know of any other local company that gets to use SFB studios for public presentations (Charlie Anderson's father was a dancer for SFB, so it must be a family thing). If you're in town and free, consider attending one of their performances tonight or Sunday.