This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NYCB Curtain Time at Saratoga Springs, 2006 season

Ever since I can remember, evening performances of NYCB in Saratoga have begun at 8:15. This year they will begin at 7:30. This is a drastic change, and for what? There are some good restaurants in Saratoga and environs, but this new starting time benefits fast food places only. Ballet Talk used to have some lively posters from Saratoga who were instrumental in the successful struggle to keep NYCB in residence there. If they're still around, I'd like to know what they think of this new starting time.

Ever since I can remember, evening performances of NYCB in Saratoga have begun at 8:15. This year they will begin at 7:30. This is a drastic change, and for what? There are some good restaurants in Saratoga and environs, but this new starting time benefits fast food places only. Ballet Talk used to have some lively posters from Saratoga who were instrumental in the successful struggle to keep NYCB in residence there. If they're still around, I'd like to know what they think of this new starting time.

Hi. I am new to this board and new to Saratoga Springs, but I spent summers here from the time I was little going to the races and then to the NYSSSA ballet program. My parents moves here 3 years ago ad I came 1 1/2 years ago after college. So, I am not an expert on the area but I can try to understand the influence of this change. I don't see it as a change that will benefit fast food places as restaurants start serving dinner at 5 and during the summers they usually have 2 " seatings " . One around 5-6 and the next aroud 7-8. I am guessing by having the ballet end earlier, there is more of an option for people to head back into town to have an after dinner drink or socialize...which is nice. Starting earlier may also be better for the younger ballet-goers. Saratoga is going through some transformation at the moment. Buildings are being bought and rents are extremely high. By summers begining about 4 new bar/restaurants will be open on Broadway so drawing people to town is imperative. I am sure the dancers would prefer to start earlier, too...but I will have to ask on that one !! For me personally, I don't mind it starting earlier...I don't see it as having a negative outcome and it will draw more people to town afterwards ( hopefully ).

JEA

I live 1 1/2 hours away and I have mixed feelings about the change to 7:30. I used to leave work and run home, change, grab a picnic basket and race up to Saratoga to see the ballet. If I had the day off, I'd enjoy a dinner at one of my favorite resturants.

Many of the ballet's are more special after the sun sets when the evening comes and everything sparkles. It will still get dark but now it might not be until the last performance of the evening. When my daughter was little, if we had lawn seats she'd take a nap if she was tired and then wake up to see the rest of the ballet. If we were inside she never slept during the ballet.

Now as I have gotten older, the only advantage I see is that I'll get home earlier. I will be just as tired as usual, but I'll have 45 min. of extra sleep.

Maybe missing out on those wonderful restaurants will help me slim down this summer. I'd rather have the calories!

I am interested to hear what else is said as to the earlier start time. I know in the city there was a change but I thought that was only to one evening per week. As it is the season also seems shorter to me than in the past.

Guest madge

Has anyone considered SPAC might have made this change? Curtain times are usually up to the presenting theater. Possibly they should be contacted.

According to Heather, in the administrative office at SPAC, they had a lot of complaints about the length of NYCB performances from people who want to get home early. When I asked why they want to get home early, she kept saying "I'm sorry?" When I mentioned the restaurants, she said they liked the idea too, since they will stay open later, after the performances. In other words, Heather may well be in line for a job at the Pentagon. At any rate, I did register my complaint. I don't suppose it will mean much since everybody else is so eager to get home or have a late dinner in a restaurant. And, she indicated, NYCB and the Philadelphia Orchestra are "all for it."

Evidently people in Saratoga don't want to go out to eat after the shows...except for the dancers who might enjoy being able to get to dinner before 11.pm.......They have long days and won't object....

I don't like the early curtain time one bit. Everything will begin in daylight.....and with the summer weather, we might get rained on more frequently as the early evening storms are common.....

However, I don't think that fast food restaurants will be the only ones serving food before a 7:30 curtain. Other restaurants will either begin dinner service at 5 or schedule staff to expect an influx after the shows finish.....

FarrellFan, the audiences "wanting to get home early" probably attend the Tues-Thurs. shows who need to get up early to commute or have summer commitments in the mornings. I hope that the earlier curtain time means that more children or young people will attend....or that attendance will be up, whatever the reason. The season is short enough as it is.....