This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

"I had a dream, past the wit of man, to say, what dream it was&qu

The most peculiar dream. Quasi BT, Balanchine, Midsummer both Shakespeare & Mendelsohn.

It was BT Live - an overanimated discussion, begun & moderated by Helioscopo, an elderly, frail, white robed & capped gentleman, well respected by the board. All in a dither, he announced that the evil Choreosco was creating impediments to the marriage of the beauteous Amphibimaia & the noble Ballanotte, an event joyously anticipated by BT-ers. Much passionate discussion ensued.

Just before my awakening, the lovers posted that they had run away to the forest & been married by none other than Helioscopo himself. Great joy.

I then awoke with a foot cramp, the result of 5 hours of Y class.I immediately wrote down the names & outline of the dream, but it has stayed with me for two hours so I thought I'd exorcise it here.

Does anyone else here "enjoy" this sort of dream?

Off to have a dose of melitonin.

I sometimes have dreams that i wake up from laughing --

I remember one, my favorite, i was in grad school at the time, I dreamt I was swimming in a bowl of warm oatmeal, and it was SO delightful -- very wet, watery oatmmeal, with just the ideal resistance, so swimming was effortless and I could on top of that breathe easily without having to come up for air, and every now and then there'd be this cute oldenburg-y huge oat-flake, and I'd swim around it, and just before I woke up I heard this genial booming voice saying "Searle perfectly understands the cooking of gruel." And i just woke up laughing out loud, shrieking.

This sounds like one of them -- the wit is so fantastic.

After starting ballet classes last year, my "movement dreams" have become quite realistic and effortful -- rather like trying to keep up with a combination you don't really understand, employing a technique that is quite underdeveloped, relying on a rather elderly body, always a bit behind the music, focusing on either the legs or the arms but never both together ...

-- and it's still fun! (for some reason). :)

My last such experience involved pique turns across the stage while wearing some kind of Albrecht costume. Arms were okay, but didn't have the time to think about the legs. I can still see the scenery and a blur of white wilis swirling by.

After starting ballet classes last year, my "movement dreams" have become quite realistic and effortful -- rather like trying to keep up with a combination you don't really understand, employing a technique that is quite underdeveloped, relying on a rather elderly body, always a bit behind the music, focusing on either the legs or the arms but never both together ...

-- and it's still fun! (for some reason). :)

My last such experience involved pique turns across the stage while wearing some kind of Albrecht costume. Arms were okay, but didn't have the time to think about the legs. I can still see the scenery and a blur of white wilis swirling by.

These may stop when your muscle memory kicks in.

Then you'll have the "forgetting the choreography" dreams. :)

This brings up another question.

A friend once mentioned that her ballet dreams are all like Dances at a Gathering. Mine are almost the exact opposite -- 24 ladies in white tutus. I wonder where the rest of us lie along -- or beyond -- this continuum?

I had a dream that i was sitting in front of Fernando Bujones and he was giving me tips on choreography and smiling. But I forgot what he had said b/c in and out of the dream I was too shocked that he was even in my dream - b/c he's dead. (and i've been chor. a lot these days)

in another, I was taking the place of Kurgapkina in Harlequinade.... smiling and jumping away....

Leigh, I also have the falling and landing with a bump problem!

I love it when I dream I can dance like nobody before ever could - I stay suspended in grand jetes, cabrioles, etc. for as long as I like, I take curtain calls with all the "bees knees" (don't know how they all got on one stage together) and when I get sent on to replace somebody in a starring role, i'm quite happy just improvising the entire ballet...

But my usual dreams go along these lines:

I'm preparing for an important performance, but I'm upset because I haven't had enough preparation time. As the peformance comes closer, I realise that my teacher has only seen me about once or twice. Next I realise that my costume hasn't even been started on. The final realisation, just before I step on stage, is that I've actually never learnt this dance at all! I wake up sweating, not laughing!

I once dreamed that I could pirouette as much as I liked. When I ran out of force, I'd just turn my head quickly and off I'd go again! Eventually I stopped out of respect for the pianist.

me too. In real life, I can do 4. In my dream I did 5 & was happy, but then kept going and going and thought I would stop b/c I was slowing down, but just kept spotting my head and extra turns kept coming. Then closed nicely so other people wouldn't feel bad. Must have done maybe 9 or 10........ still could never beat Misha :)

NIGHT or DAY

When I was dancing it was all about doing the choreography perfectly, or ulcers because I wasn't. Now...Day or night it's: Hear music and immediately start choreographing it. Sometimes with me dancing it, sometimes with other (more famous/experienced) dancers in mind, sometimes just by drawing figures on paper as 'aides memoires'. Then, yes, I come back to the reality of my environment/life with a thump. But for those moments I was free.