This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Violette Verdy

Estelle

carbo, we were lucky enough to see part of this too last night - Wow! :yes: Would love to see it again, from the beginning. (Thanks for the particulars on where that fantastic studio space was, too.)

Loved it!

I saw the film last night on a local New York City station (WNYE-TV Channel 25)--

what a treat :) I agree with Manhattnik, Jenifer Ringer is her heir. It was quite an evening--following this documentary there was a film of Nureyev (1966) in Le Jeune Homme et la mort with Jeanmaire. This is not the version I remember with Jean Babilee. In the first version, I recall the Girl (Nathalie Philippart) was not overtly sexy; she was dressed in white and she was somber throughout; Jeanmaire, on the other hand, wore a costume similar to the one she wore in Carmen. Petit might have changed it for his wife; I can't recall how the Girl was treated in the Baryshnikov version.

atm,

I saw it on channel 25 too and enjoyed every minute of it. The clips of her dancing Dances at a Gathering, and especially Liebeslieder and Emeralds were gorgeous despite the poor film quality. She had such exquisite phrasing and musicality. And what a wonderful teacher she is: insightful, witty, supportive and all those fascinating remarks about Robbins and Balanchine. Let's hope the film is released on video soon.

I know it wont be easy, but by hook or by crook I have to acquire a video of Verdy. Until then, I will live on memories of a glorious past (hers, not mine). Yes, sir, I actually took class with her a few times, way back in the fifties when she was in London. This was at Mercury Theatre. Teacher was Eileen Ward, anyone knows anything about her these days? Lovely memories... Verdy was so joyful and fun, but I was in too much awe to dare to speak to her. Ward was my favorite teacher. :flowers: