This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I am hoping to find videos of some of MacMillan's works such as Elite syncopations or Solitaire. I know that many of his ballets such as Romeo and Juliet, Mayerling, Prince of the Pagodas, are available. Would anyone know of a place where I could find videos/dvds of some of his other works?

Thank you.

Renata

Dancing-Times in the UK has a PAL VHS version listed, along with "The power and the art - Irek Mukhamedov," a documentary about the dancer.

It was released in NTSC by Nonesuch (40176-3 Elektra Nonesuch), which might be available in some libraries. Western Washington University has a copy listed in its catalogue.

re: ELITE S. & SOLITAIRE - the former was telecast, but not released commercially, to the best of my knowledge, for a bi-centennial presentation from england. i have not heard of any perf. of the latter being shown or marketed on television/video.

here's how the nypl for the perf. arts lists the copy it has catalogued for watching on the premises:

The Royal Ballet salutes the U.S.A. 1978. (140 min.) : sd., color

Notes :Performance by the Royal Ballet at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, London, telecast live by satellite on WNEW-TV/Channel 5, New York on July 22, 1978. A BBC presentation in association with Metromedia Television, New York. Producer: Brian Large. Television directors: Colin Nears, Bob Lockyer, and Brian Large. Host: Gene Kelly.

CONTENTS. - Elite syncopations. Choreography: Kenneth Macmillan. Music: Scott Joplin. Costumes: Ian Spurling. Performed by Vergie Derman, Monica Mason, Alfreda Thorogood, Michael Colemen, Wayne Eagling, Stephen Jefferies, Wayne Sleep, Jennifer Penney, and Derek Deane. Four Schumann pieces Choreography: Hans van Manen. Music: Robert Schumann (String quartet in A major, op. 41, no. 3) Designer: Jean Paul Vroom. Performed by Anthony Dowell, Jennifer Penney, Wayne Eagling, Lesley Collier, Julian Hosking, Wendy Ellis, Michael Corder, Marguerite Porter, Mark Silver, Wendy Groombridge, and Derek Deane. - La fille mal gardée: Fanny Elssler pas de deux. Choreography: Frederick Ashton. Music: Ferdinand Hérold. Performed by Wendy Ellis and Michael Coleman. The sleeping beauty: Bluebird and Princess Florine pas de deux. Choreography: Marius Petipa. Music: Petr Chaikovskii. Performed by Jennifer Penney and Wayne Eagling. Tweedledum and Tweedledee. Choreography: Frederick Ashton. Music: Percy Grainger. Performed by Lesley Collier, Wayne Sleep, and Graham Fletcher. Monotones II. Choreography: Frederick Ashton. Music: Erik Satie. Performed by Vergie Derman, Derek Deane, and Mark Silver. Brahms waltzes in the manner of Isadora Duncan. Choreography: Frederick Ashton. Music: Johannes Brahms. Performed by Lynn Seymour. Solo piano: Philip Gammon.

Romeo and Juliet: Balcony pas de deux (beginning) Choreography: Kenneth Macmillan. Music: Sergei Prokof'ev. Performed by Lesley Collier and Anthony Dowell. Brief commentary by Clive Barnes at end.

Amazon (click the box above) has quite a few.

From the Royal Ballet alone there are:

Romeo and Juliet, 1966, Fonteyn and Nureyev (VHS and DVD)

Rome and Juliet, (date?), Ferri and Eagling (DVD only)

Mayerling, 1994, Mukhamedov, Durante and Colllier (VHS and DVD)

Manon, 1982, Penny and Dowell,

Prince of the Pagodas, 1990, Bussell, Cope, etc.

And I'm sure I misssed a number of others.

There's also a vintage Elite Syncopations, filmed I would guess around the 1970s, starring basically the entire RB company at the time. A nice video. I don't think it was ever commercially released, but it was an original BBC telecast, kind of like the Live from Lincoln Centers.