This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mindy Aloff's Oxford Book Of Dance Anecdotes Is Out

I just received a copy of Mindy Aloff's "Dance Anecdotes: Stories from the Worlds of Ballet, Broadway, the Ballroom, and Modern Dance," published by Oxford. I've just skimmed through it -- haven't had time to read it through yet -- but I've read enough to think it's quite interesting. It's a collection of stories - backstage stories, culled from interviews, dancers' letters, etc.

One very short story, on the back book jacket, is a good sample: "Cyd Charisse, on how her husband could tell at the end of the day whether she had been working with Gene Kelly or Fred Astaire: "If I was black and blue, it was Gene. And if it was Fred, I didn't have a scratch."

"Cyd Charisse, on how her husband could tell at the end of the day whether she had been working with Gene Kelly or Fred Astaire: "If I was black and blue, it was Gene. And if it was Fred, I didn't have a scratch."
Somehow we knew that about Fred :), even if we didn't know we knew.

Thanks for the info, Alexandra, and the rave, Paul. I'm going to pick one up next time I leave the house.

Just got this book and so far I absolutely love it! :) Lot's of interesting tidbits and stories that illuminate the world of ballet and humanize some towering figures. I might be biased however. If Mindy Aloff wrote an essay on the routine maintenance of lawnmower engines I would be first in line to read it! :shake: