This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Costs Of Visas Halts Uk Orchestra Tour

I realise this isn't about ballet, but it's very easy to see how the same issue would affect any ballet company touring the US.

"One of Britain's leading symphony orchestras has been forced to scrap an American tour, partly because of the "mind-blowing palaver" and cost of securing visas for 100 players and staff.

The Manchester-based Hallé had been due to visit the US next year for two concerts, including one at the Lincoln centre in New York, the country's principal classical music venue. But managers said yesterday they had cancelled the tour when they realised that the cost of arranging the visas, estimated at £45,000, would render the trip uneconomic."

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,1742626,00.html

More from the BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4860392.stm

Please move this if you think this isn't the right forum.

Thank you for posting this, Lynette. Gosh, and I thought the U.S. and U.K. were allies! :) The Office of Homeland Security seems to still be getting its act together. Maybe the people who did such a fine job helping out with Hurricanes Katrina and Rita have been kicked upstairs to visa duty. Keeping British musicians out of the U.S. certaiinly makes ME sleep more soundly!

There is the same issue for Canada, for artists who want to perform. I know the AD of a small modern dance group in Canada, and the visa costs have made it too prohibitive to perform in the US unless they have an extensive tour planned. They've told their management not to bother to book in the US for short engagements, and they aren't well known enough to get a national tour.

I also sleep better at night knowing that Canadian performers aren't allowed to perform without supervision in the US. :rolleyes:

As dreary as this situation is, I'm glad to see the article -- the topic has gotten relatively little attention in the US press, despite the fact that it's been a big hassle for performing arts presenters since 2001.

The requirement that each artist come in person to a US embassy is a real sticking point, especially for ensembles with many members who come together for performances and rehearsals, but otherwise live in several different places.

The restrictions were estimated to cost the Halle 45,000 pounds. That's over $77,000 before they sell a ticket. And this is for a country which has dutifully supported just about every US foreign policy adventure in living memory.

The restrictions were estimated to cost the Halle 45,000 pounds. That's over $77,000 before they sell a ticket. And this is for a country which has dutifully supported just about every US foreign policy adventure in living memory.

Right you are, Bart. Wonder what's the going rate for French, Spanish and German musicians?

[warming to topic] And just THINK of the money we could have made off the Bolshoi during the Cold War?