This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ballerinas and Motherhood

At San Francisco Ballet the three mamas Tina LeBlanc, Katita Waldo, and Kristin Long used to dance Forsythe's staggeringly difficult "Vertiginous Thrill of Exactitude" together -- one of those ballets "where you meet yourself coming and going." Fantastic in it -- and you actually got the feeling that the playfulness they brought to the roles owed something to playing with the babies.

Certainly since having her children Leblanc's dancing has gained in emotional range, especially in tenderness and playfulness. She *dances* like a younger woman than she used to.

Lourdes Lopez also returned to dance after her first daughter was born. 

In fact, Lourdes told an interviewer that when she was told an injury would require many months to recuperate, she decided to use that time [pro-]creatively!

It reminds me of Delphine Moussin's pregnancy... except that it happened in a period when it

was her husband, Lionel Delanoë, who was severely injured and unable to dance for a whole season (he resumed dancing later, but never fully regained his previous shape, and retired under 40 to become an assistant ballet master). I guess it must have been a difficult period for both of them (from what I've read in interviews, at first after his injury, he even wasn't able to walk correctly) and I guess the birth of their baby made this period much happier !

I admire all of these wonderful dancer/mommies. I can't even imagine the exhaustion a NYCB principal would feel during the long winter season, rehearsing during the day, dancing sometimes every night then rising in the morning for mommy duties. It must take a sensitive and supportive spouse to help out. So Bravo to you too Daddies!

During my most of my years at San Francisco Ballet (1972 - 1985), Paula Tracy and I were the only ones with children in the company (and Paula was married to then director, Michael Smuin). I was a young Mom (19) so my entire 13-year professional career was combined with motherhood. It was a delicate and sometimes difficult balance, but I wouldn't have traded it for anything! I was lucky to have the support of my parents, without whom I could not have done it. My husband also was in the company at the time. So, there was understanding and teamwork! I feel that my family and son grounded me in a way that actually helped me as a professional dancer. I could see and appreciate that that there was life "outside" the ballet world, and I believe I became a better dancer and artist because of this balance...and I like to think I did a fairly decent job of being a Mom, too. And, now, I am happy to report I am a grandma! :angry2: