This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Le Sacre du Printemps (The Rite of Spring)

I recently became aware of a recreation of the choreography of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring by the Joffrey Ballet in the mid 80's. I was watching a somewhat poor quality video of the performance that aird on PBS. I was curious if anyone has a copy or knows here I can buy one? I have looked on Ebay and other such places but have, as of yet, to find anything thus far.

Thanks,

KR

the prog. you likely name here is given below in the NYPL credits for the off-the-air copy in the dance collection as follows (alas the program has never been issued commercially):

The search for Nijinsky's Rite of spring [videorecording] / a co-production of WNET/New York and Danmarks Radio in association with Czechoslovak Television and BBC, La Sept, NOS Television ; dance directed by Thomas Grimm ; documentary directed by Judy Kinberg ; produced by Judy Kinberg and Thomas Grimm. New York, N.Y. : WNET/13, 1989. (58 min.) : sd., col. with b&w sequences

Notes: Narrator, Kathryn Walker.

Danced by the Joffrey Ballet: Carole Valleskey (A 300-year-old woman), Paul Shoemaker (Old sage), Beatriz Rodriguez (The chosen one), and others.

Music performed by the Orchestra of the National Theatre, Prague, conducted by Allan Lewis.

Set coordinator, Ves Harper ; lighting, Jorgen Johannessen and Tim Hunter ; production executive, Rhoda Grauer ; writer, Holly Brubach.

Concluding performance by the Joffrey Ballet: choreography, Vaslav Nijinsky, reconstructed and staged by Millicent Hodson ; music, Igor Stravinsky ; scenario, Igor Stravinsky and Nikolai Roerich ; scenery and costumes, Nikolai Roerich, reconstructed by Kenneth Archer ; artistic supervision of reconstruction, Robert Joffrey.

Telecast by WNET/13, New York, on the Great Performances: Dance in America series on November 24, 1989.

Documentary on the history and reconstruction of Vaslav Nijinsky's ballet The rite of spring (Le sacre du printemps). The 1913 premiere of the ballet is illustrated through still photographs and historical footage of interviews with Igor Stravinsky and Dame Marie Rambert. Dance historian Millicent Hodson and art historian Kenneth Archer describe the process of reconstructing the ballet, which is then seen in a performance by the Joffrey Ballet.

I recently became aware of a recreation of the choreography of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring by the Joffrey Ballet in the mid 80's. I was watching a somewhat poor quality video of the performance that aird on PBS. I was curious if anyone has a copy or knows here I can buy one? I have looked on Ebay and other such places but have, as of yet, to find anything thus far.

Thanks,

KR

Greetings KnightRuppert! I have this performance along with the accompanying documentary.........

well I must say that is a little obtuse. There is no commercial recording and trading may be the only way to get it. Thanks for nothing. The point of being any kind of artist is expanding ourselves and exploring artwork, especially when it is extremely rare. What is the harm in trading tapes that are otherwise unavailable.