This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

School of American Ballet

Balletomanes:

You and I love ballet. I have posted for two years and have learned so much from Alexandra and Carbro and Oberon and so many others. I feel we are not a wealthy group, but we are lovers. We can barely pay our mortgage, but for the past three years we have given a $100.00 to SAB, and the rewrads are wondrous: seeing rehearsals, seeing the Spring Gala. Just this night I saw Jock Soto teaching a partnering class. Shelby.....? a beautiful and gifted dancer at all of 14 was wonderful; she will make it, I think. We ballet lovers have much to be thankful for, and if you can squeeze out even five dollars, you will feel very good. I am home and I am happy.

I know the feeling jimmatimore is talking about, having first experienced it some forty years ago after visiting an SAB class taught by Alexandra Danilova. She was so glamorous, and so kind and gracious to my wife and me that even though we were on the bus, we seemed to float home. I was there last night too, for Jock Soto's demonstration of partnering the Nutcracker pas de deux with two lovely young dancers. Even though I'm now alone and take taxis back and forth, I still felt something of that same excitement. The fact is that every visit to SAB is an exhilarating experience because of the talent and dedication of the students and teachers. They give us hope for the future.

I, too know the feeling you speak about . . . awe, reverence, appreciation are just some of what comes to mind when I think of SAB. Our daughter and family were fortunate to be on the receiving end of a large scholarship from SAB several years ago. It came at a time in our lives when we could not have sent her there without the assistance. I remember many times observing classes and feeling so lucky to be part of it, if only for a short part of it's long history. Our daughter has gone on to dance professionally and continues so today. This, we believe would not have been possible without her early training at CPYB and later at SAB.

Times are much better for us now. We are now proud to be able to donate each year to the SAB scholarship fund, knowing we are helping other young dancers, who like our daughter, might not be able to achieve their dreams without it.

We have been supporters of SAB for several years now and love attending those classes. We too went to the class taught by Jock Soto and as usual were not disappointed. For what it is worth, in introducing the class Kay Mazzo said the Peter Martins was the greatest partner of her generation. Martins told her that Soto was the greatest partner he had ever seen. But then I guess we all know how good Jock is.

I have learned a great deal about ballet from attending those classes, but I get more out of it than that. I can remember attending my first class several years ago and watching Suki Schorer teaching a group of 14-15 years olds. As I sat there I kept thinking this is being taught as it has been for years now. It is a fixed point in a changing universe and for me is a refuge from all the turmoil (politics, the war) going on out in the world. There was something very calming and reassuring about it all.

.  As I sat there I kept thinking this is being taught as it has been for years now.  It is a fixed point in a changing universe and for me is a refuge from all the turmoil (politics, the war) going on out in the world.  There was something very calming and reassuring about it all.

Although my experience is with a different school, I empathize completely with the feeling.