This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Halloween: What would you wear?

Since Halloween is not that far away, I thought I'd start this topic up again. :thanks:

Imagine that you've been invited to a ballet costume party. Which ballet costume would you wear, and why? (You needn't rule anything out just because it's usually worn by the opposite sex...)

In my youth: Balanchine's Apollo in the current design, or the Santo Loquasto costumes for Tharp's Baker's Dozen (white shirts, white slacks).

Today: the movie producer's plus fours (with cigar) in the Nureyev Cinderella.

Sometime in the future: any version of Carabosse.

Back when I had a real figure, I might have thrown modesty to the winds and worn Allegra Kent's Seven Deadly Sins bikini. Now I need something more discreet, but as Bart has already claimed title to Carabosse, I'll go for the red ballgown and cloak Anne Bancroft wears as Anna Karenina in The Turning Point. As things go further downhill, expect me as one of the Ugly Sisters in the Ashton version of Cinderella.

Good choice, canbelto, but did you know that the Royal Ballet Giselles wear brown instead of the usual blue? I think it makes much more sense, when the villagers and friends are dressed in muted earth tones, that Giselle's wardrobe should conform to that basic palette.

Sorry, if I'm the prima ballerina and carrying the ballet on my shoulders, I'm going to wear blue and not any "muted earth tones," thank you very much. I can imagine the critics now: "Last night, she added "Giselle" to her long list of signature roles. And she was a vision....in brown."

I remember seeing a Twyla Tharp ballet for ABT set in a junkyard where a ballerina played a tire with the pointe shoes sticking out the bottom! (Saw this in Chicago circa 1987)

Other memorable costume, the Queen Mother in the Baryshnikov ABT "Swan Lake" on tour in Chicago in 1987 or 1988. Georgina Parkinson wore a hot pink medieval hooker costume with a high pink headress with veils and a long sheath with a slit down the side! Scary Mama!!