This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Le Corsaire on CD!?!

I have never properly looked at the booklet of my La Bayadere CD (Decca - Richard Bonynge - English Chamber Orchestra - 436 917-2) before today but I just realised that in the back it says "Further ballet releases for DECCA by Richard Bonynge" and it says that "Le Corsaire" has been released on CD (though by the looks of it only the Adam parts). Does anyone have this CD (Decca 430 286-2) I can't seem to find it on their website and I'm really excited about it. Does anyone have it and is it any good?

I have never properly looked at the booklet of my La Bayadere CD (Decca - Richard Bonynge - English Chamber Orchestra - 436 917-2) before today but I just realised that in the back it says "Further ballet releases for DECCA by Richard Bonynge" and it says that "Le Corsaire" has been released on CD (though by the looks of it only the Adam parts). Does anyone have this CD (Decca 430 286-2) I can't seem to find it on their website and I'm really excited about it. Does anyone have it and is it any good?

is the ballet as perfomed before it ever made its way to Russia, so no 'Petipa/Perrot-included' numbers are recorded. I would guess (a GUESS mind you) that its all that Bonynge could get a hold of here in the west to make this recording, as the Mariinksy often proves stingy when it comes to giving up music for other peoples purposes. You will also find that many of the numbers recorded in this Bonynge recording will not be familiar, though no less great. The scene "Jardin Anime' is included though only the Entree/Valse des Fleurs, variations and adagio and codaUnfortunatly this recording, along with many other Bonynge recordings (like his FABULOUS recording of "La Fille mal Gardee" in the Lanchbery/Royal Ballet revival) are SHAMEFULLY Out-Of Print. It took me YEARS of digging and waiting to find mine!

The only recording that has the orginal interpolations in thier original arrangements is the very rare and long out-of-print disc called "Musique pour les ballets de Marius Petipa" on the European label Accord. One would have better luck getting a new kidney than getting a hold of this CD. It is the Orchestra de Nice conducted by Klaus Wise. It includes the original "Trio de Odalisques", the "Pas d'Esclave", and the Grand Pas in the original Drigo arrangement (the only other recording that has this recorded is the out-of-print 6 CD set "The Original Bolshoi Theatre Orchestra" conducted by Algis Zhuriatis). All other recordings of the "Le Corsaire pas de deux/Pas de Deux a trois" are in the Lanchbery re-orchestration, and almost always conducted by Bonynge.

Go to the site ChristopherSeminars.com to find bootlegs of the Bonynge recordings. Inlcuded on each of the "Le Corsaire" sets offered, are extractions of the music from the Kirov Ballet's and the ABT's performances on DVD of "Le Corsaire", digitally included with the clapping and other audience noise taken out. A real treat to have when needed for performance, competition, or just to listen to.

Richard Bonynge's 2-CD set of "Le Corsaire" released by Decca in 1992 is a recording taken from the conductor's score for the Paris Opera revival from 1867. Thus it contains all the music used for that revival: the score by Adolphe Adam and the "Pas de fleurs" Act II divertissement, an interpolation by Léo Delibes. As such it is as complete as we will ever get and I don't see why we should need anything from the Mariinsky archives, since this recording documents the Paris Opera production.

So MinkusPugni if you are looking for a recording of "Le Corsaire" as it is currently danced by the Mariinsky or ABT, this CD won't do it for you. Yet, if you are interested in a well-conducted and well-recorded account of an original 19th century ballet, Bonynge's "Corsaire" is worth the investment - provided one can still find it of course :).

Yet, if you are interested in a well-conducted and well-recorded account of an original 19th century ballet, Bonynge's "Corsaire" is worth the investment - provided one can still find it of course :).

"HMV Japan" says the Japanese edition of Bonynge's Le Corsaire recording is "coming soon" (16th of May, 2007). They have a few other Bonynge ballet recordings which seem to be pretty hard to come by.

Le Corsaire (Bonynge) at HMV Japan

The other ballet recordings they've listed as "coming soon":

Giselle

Les Sylphides / La Boutique Fantasque

La Bayadere

La Source

Coppelia

Sylvia

Sleeping Beauty

I've ordered "Le Corsaire", so hopefully it'll really turn up at my door in a month or so. Worth a try, at least. (You never know, it could be just a mis-translation of "we think we might be able to get this for you in 2-3 weeks, but we're wrong, and it's long out of print".)

Yes, there is also another music CD presently out containing the complete score for Le Corsaire as danced by the Kirov Ballet. It contains all of the music used in the Russian Production---Adam, Pugni, Delibes, Drigo, as well as Prince Oldenbourg. This is a 2- CD is on the KUBADYSK Label (manufactured in Poland I think) ( Label# KD001-05/011307). I bought it from a mail-order classical music house in the USA about a year ago. I will see if I can find the website where I purchased it from and post it here.

OK---here is the web site: go to www.classicalballetmusic.com and click on complete ballet catalogue. You will see 2 complete / different versions of Le Corsaire Ballets. The recording I have contains the full Kirov version, and is a live recording. Sound quality is pretty good given that it is a live recording. Hope this helps!

The Japanese Shinshokan publishing firm recently released a series of ballets on CD played by the St. Petersburg Moussorgsky Theater's orchestra. Among these is the complete 'Corsaire' as performed at the Maly-Moussorgsky Ballet, which is quite close to the ABT version. So finally we have a Corsaire on CD that approximates the 'Corsaire' that is being danced in the 21st century!

Link to the Shinshokan CDs page follows. Alas, only in Japanese. The Corsaire CD is about halfway down the right-hand column, with photo of a female in red and white dress, doing grand jete.

http://www.shinshokan.co.jp/dancevideo/index_dancevideo.html

Edited to add: The link seems to take one automatically to the New Releases page. So you have to click on "CD" in the pink left-hand column. Then go to the 2nd page of CDs (once you're in CDs). THEN you will see the page that I described above.

Further edited: Thanks to Josbiviano for the Polish link. Word of caution, though - this appears to be a pirating outfit that merely re-records the music from existing VHS tapes or DVDs. I may be wrong -- forgive me if so -- but that's what it appears to be. The Japanese CDs are recordings made for commercial release as CDs, much like the earlier Decca recordings led by Richard Bonynge.

Thanks Natalia!

Can we order these things here in America? I am sure the CDs are fine, but are the DVDs pal format?

Would be great to get some of the Vaganova Academy examinations!

Joseph

The Japanese Shinshokan publishing firm recently released a series of ballets on CD played by the St. Petersburg Moussorgsky Theater's orchestra. Among these is the complete 'Corsaire' as performed at the Maly-Moussorgsky Ballet, which is quite close to the ABT version. So finally we have a Corsaire on CD that approximates the 'Corsaire' that is being danced in the 21st century!

Link to the Shinshokan CDs page follows. Alas, only in Japanese. The Corsaire CD is about halfway down the right-hand column, with photo of a female in red and white dress, doing grand jete.

http://www.shinshokan.co.jp/dancevideo/index_dancevideo.html

Edited to add: The link seems to take one automatically to the New Releases page. So you have to click on "CD" in the pink left-hand column. Then go to the 2nd page of CDs (once you're in CDs). THEN you will see the page that I described above.

Further edited: Thanks to Josbiviano for the Polish link. Word of caution, though - this appears to be a pirating outfit that merely re-records the music from existing VHS tapes or DVDs. I may be wrong -- forgive me if so -- but that's what it appears to be. The Japanese CDs are recordings made for commercial release as CDs, much like the earlier Decca recordings led by Richard Bonynge.

Wow Natalia. This is disturbing to learn on the pirating. Is this your personal speculation or do you know for sure of the pirating? I'd definitely would like to know as I have already bought 4 complete ballets from this Company. The company's home page seemed to be legit.

Just my hunch, Jos, from knowledge of what happens in some Eastern Euro 'emerging markets' that aren't quite used to playing by the Rule of Law. For one, the prices are outrageaouly cheap, compared to known legit publishers. Also, one of the CD descriptions warns buyers that 'sound of shoes' (or something to that effect) can be heard at the start. In other words, this is most likely a sound recording made off a videotape or DVD. Why pay for the sound of what we already have the DVD? I don't care what people do - buy or not buy - but I think it's important that people realize that these are not unique orchestral recordings that were made specifically for CDs...it's just the music off the videotape or DVD. No big deal.

Joseph, the Shinshokan/Japanese DVDs are not PAL - they are in NTSC, just as in America. That's not the problem; the problem is with the geographical 'region code' - a block that manufacturers sometimes choose to embed in the DVD, e.g., Japan is 'region 2' and the USA is 'region one.' Enter the new 'code free' DVD players recently out on the US market. The Japanese (& other non-Code-One) DVDs play only on 'region free' DVD players (or on most computers). Both Panasonic and Pioneer have 'code free' DVD players in the USA...not at the big retailers like Best Buy or Circuit City but at smaller stores. They're not terribly expensive - ranging from $75 to $150. Definitely worth it to be able to play & enjoy the multitude of DVDs sold outside the USA - such as that Vaganova series (incl a 1994 docum on then-student Vishneva!) or a FABULOUS recent Bolshoi Academy documentary ("Bolshoi Ballet - Between Pain and Fame" or similar title) that tracks the school career of Natalia Osipova ca 2002/03.

Pioneer's model is the DV-490 VS HDMI 'Code Free' which sells for around $130 at most places. The Panasonic is cheaper - below $100, I think. The Pioneer plays everything in the book, including 'double layer' DVDs -- plays them even better than does the machine on which I recorded those double-layered DVs two years ago!!! The Panasonic is supposed to be good, too.

p.s. - The K-Ballet DVDs are, as far as I know, the only Japanese DVDs that do not have the regional block. They are coded for all regions. However, they cost about $100 each! As much as I love Teddy Kumakawa, I just couldn't pop $100 for every one of his DVDs. The one of Ashton's 'Rhapsody' is a masterpiece, though. Highly recommended. ;))

Hope that all of this helps.

Yes, it does! Thanks so much Natalia! This is great information!

Now, in terms of ordering from this site?... :blink:

I would suggest that you telephone them & order that way. Tell them that you'll fax credit card info, if they don't take it over the phone. The two times that I visited the shop in Tokyo this past March, a very helpful English-speaking young lady was at the check-out counter. I went armed with a print-out of their catalogue; she went to the basement to dig-up DVDs that weren't out on display! Wish that I could remember her name...sorry. Shops open around 11 am Tokyo time...set your alarm. Otherwise, find a Japanese-speaking buddy to sit next to you to understand the website. Godd luck! It's worth the try.