This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Igor Zelensky's "Paquita" Variation....?

On the film "The Maryinsky Ballet" AKA "Kirov Classics" there is a performance of "Paquita". In this performance Igor Zelenksy dances in place of the traditional male variation a variation to music that by (I have heard) Delibes. What ballet does this number come from?

in vinogradov's PAQUITA GRAND PAS CLASSIQUE, zelensky dances to the same music balanchine assigned frantz in his COPPELIA (sometime after the initial premier run). CHOREOGRAPHY BY BALANCHINE is a little murky in its explication seeming to indicate - erroneously it would seem - that 'a male variation in Act I' uses 'music from SYLIVA' even though elsewhere it notes an interpolation from LA SOURCE (NAILA), which i believe is the source (no pun intended) of this solo's music.

"Jardin Animé" is a divertissement selected from music from La Source, the composition of which was split between Delibes and Minkus.

I was just stating that the scene "Le Jardin Anime" should have been included in the set "Delibes: The 3 Ballets" among Delibes' other compositions for ballet.

There is nothing in the music of "La Source", "Sylvia" or "Coppelia" that sounds anything like the numbers in "Jardin Anime". The only thing that does sound as theough it were used in the scene is the Adagio/Andante from "Sylvia" (Used as the Grand Adagio in Balanchine's "Sylvia" Pas de deux). This number has a melody that is pretty much the same (although re-worked) as the adagio for Medora and the Corps de Ballet with thier garlands in the scene'Jardin Anime' in "Le Corsaire". But other than that, there are no number that sound like they are selctions from any of Delibes' ballets.

Actually, Jardin anime was composed in 1867 by Delibes (only) for a revival of Le Corsaire in Paris. Eventually, a musical arrangement of the divertissement was included in La Source as the Naila waltz. The history of that development is still a little sketchy, but Jardin (originally Valse, ou, Pas des fleurs) was all-Delibes. The autograph is extant.