This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2005-2006 ROSTER

After visiting other company websites, it made me realize that ABT needs to update their website.

For Example:

Just saw on Cincinnati Ballet's website that Joseph Gatti from studio company is now a SOLOIST there!!-- Sounds like an awesome opportunity for him!

Alex Wong (also from studio company) is now in the Miami City Ballet corps.

That is great news for both Alex and Joseph! Congrats to both! :flowers: And thanks to you, BalletGirl!

Somehow, it seems that keeping the site up-to-the-minute is not a major priority for either ABT or NYCB. That's probably, in the real world of limited resources, a good thing, but it can be very frustrating, can't it?

They also updated some tour info:

Washington, D.C.: The Nutcracker

12/7, 12/8, 12/9, 12/10, 12/11 2005

Washington, D.C. Repertory

1/31, 2/1, 2/2 2006

Washington, D.C.: Romeo and Juliet

2/3, 2/4, 2/5 2006

Cleveland: Le Corsaire

3/16, 3/17, 3/18, 3/19 2006

Chicago Gala

3/29 2006

Chicago: Le Corsaire

3/30, 3/31, 4/1, 4/2 2006

Orange County Repertory

5/2, 5/3, 5/4 2006

Orange County: TBA

5/5, 5/6, 5/7 2006

The ABT roster seems to have been updated but no new promotions are noted except for new apprentices, Hee Seo and Nicola Curry.

Joe

The four apprentices (Nicola Curry, Hee Seo, Abigail Simon and Cory Stearns) are all listed in my recent (July) Playbills.

Guillaume Graffin has also been removed from the roster of dancers.

I noticed that Monique Meunier is missing from the ABT roster.......?

Many of her fans were unhappy about her underuse at ABT, in such contrast to her early years at NYCB. Here, in the announcement of her promotion to soloist at NYCB in 1997, we can see how active she once was. One year later came her promotion to Principal.

"Monique Meunier, 24, who is half-Cuban and half-Ecuadorian, was born in Los Angeles, California. In 1988, Ms. Meunier entered SAB, and in January of 1990 she was asked to join the Company as a member of the corps de ballet. Since joining New York City Ballet, Ms. Meunier has danced featured roles in George Balanchine's AGON, APOLLO, BOURREE FANTASQUE, BRAHMS-SCHOENBERG QUARTET (4th Movement), COPPELIA, HARLEQUINADE, A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM, THE NUTCRACKER ("Sugarplum Fairy", "Dewdrop", "Arabian", and "Hot Chocolate"), RAYMONDA VARIATIONS, STARS AND STRIPES, STRAVINSKY VIOLIN CONCERTO, TSCHAIKOVSKY PIANO CONCERTO NO. 2, WESTERN SYMPHONY and WHO CARES?; in Jerome Robbins' FANFARE and GLASS PIECES; in Peter Martins' THE SLEEPING BEAUTY ("Lilac Fairy"); in Richard Tanner's ANCIENT AIRS AND DANCES and SCHOENBERG/WUORINEN VARIATIONS, and in William Forsythe's BEHIND THE CHINA DOGS and HERMAN SCHMERMAN, and in Christopher Wheeldon's SLAVONIC DANCES."

If her omission from the current ABT roster was not just a slip of the pixle, let us hope she finds a dancing home that will enable her to fulfill her awesome potential.

I heard that he was leaving the company. But I was waiting for official word.......or a deletion from ABT's roster. When someone this promising, and someone who was on track for bigger and more important roles leaves, it can set the company back quite a bit. Mr. Tidwell had the goods to be at the very least an excellent soloist, if not

a fine principal dancer. :(:crying::)

Abigail Simon appeared on stage in the Japan tour, but Monique was absent and she did not appear in the Japan tour brochure.

Monique Meunier is in transition again! I hope she finds a company that gives her safe harbour. She's far too young and talented to retire. I remember Monique when she was at the School of American Ballet. She was the unqualified star of the school in 1989, so confident and beautiful. When she performed the second movement from "Symphony in C" at Workshop that year, she was so accomplished that she took your breathe away. Her sensual, full-movement poured off the stage. It was hard to believe she was only 16. What happened to this amazing talent? Ever since she became a Principal at City Ballet, I've read more about her weight struggles than about her wonderful performances. This is unfair. There is more to a dancer, much more, than just being a twig on pointe. I had hoped, along with many, that ABT would revive her career. But unfortunately, she became a rarely-seen soloist often cast in smaller roles. Why an artistic director didn't cast her immediately as Myrta or Sylvia right after she walked through the door remains a mystery and a sad reflection on the powers that be in ballet today.

Hi there, carolina! Monique has a fiercely devoted group of admirers among our members. Like you, we'd hoped that ABT would exploit her magnificent talent and were crushed when it became evident it wasn't happening. I just hope she finds a place where she'll be nurtured and find artistic fulfillment.

Please stop by our Welcome Page and tell us a bit about yourself. :)

Griffin is listed as "rehearsal director" in the English language version of the

Dutch National Ballet website and "balletmeester" in the Dutch language version.

Yeah, "balletmeester" just means ballet master.

I don't know why they call it "rehearsal director" in the English version, considering "ballet master" is commonly used and also what they called it when he was in this position at ABT.

I thought it was a rather remarkable career move, so that's why I used the "dunno" emoticon.

It makes sense though if he's still with Lydia Harmsen. She's Dutch, and according to the website of the Spanish Diagrama Producciones she currently works for them from Amsterdam.

Concerning the where abouts of Monique Meunier. It looks like Colleen Neary and her husband Thor are at the helm of the new Los Angeles Ballet. I visited the site, and there was an old picture of Monique from her days at Yvonne Mounsey's Westside Ballet Academy. I assume their is a partnership between Westside and the new company since Colleen has been teaching there for more than a year. I know we are not supposed to gossip, but I wonder if Miss Monique is headed home to the West Coast. What a treat that would be for L.A. audiences. It really is a crime that a ballet company never took hold in that city. :dunno:

What a treat Monique would be to NYCB audiences! A way to salve the wound of losing Ansanelli...

It looks like Los Angeles Ballet is just getting started:

http://www.losangelesballet.org/index_home.htm

And with Ballet Pacifica also having its sights set on LA, will two companies be able to take hold in the city?

From their site photos and administration, LA Ballet looks more Balanchine-oriented; while Pacifica, with its ABT administration, teachers and guest stars, looks, well, ABT-like. Perhaps things will work, as that dichotomy is certainly successful in NYC.

What a treat Monique would be to NYCB audiences!  A way to salve the wound of losing Ansanelli...

It looks like Los Angeles Ballet is just getting started:

http://www.losangelesballet.org/index_home.htm

And with Ballet Pacifica also having its sights set on LA, will two companies be able to take hold in the city? 

From their site photos and administration, LA Ballet looks more Balanchine-oriented; while Pacifica, with its ABT administration, teachers and guest stars, looks, well, ABT-like.  Perhaps things will work, as that dichotomy is certainly successful in NYC.

To have Monique back at NYCB would be a treat but, if I remember correctly, it was rather shocking when she left City Ballet because she took a demotion to soloist to join ABT. She wasn't dancing much at the end of her tenure at CIty Ballet. Why would she want to go back to that. I think it would be great if she joined Pacific Northwest Ballet, now under Peter Boal. She could work with the 6'3 Bulgarian Stanko Milov, who can lift a small building, and form a great partnership.

Edited by Helene

"...it would be great if she joined Pacific Northwest Ballet"

I, a very selfish New Yorker, absolutely agree with your wish. By now, it looks as if PNB is our last best hope to keep Balanchine alive at maximum glory in his chosen country.

I know we are not supposed to gossip, but I wonder if Miss Monique is headed home to the West Coast. What a treat that would be for L.A. audiences.

Based on what you saw on the website, it doesn't cross the line to wonder if that is where she might be headed. If you had said "I heard she was moving to LA" that would be unofficial news, as would speculation on why she left NYCB or ABT; these are off limits without an official source.