This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Bolshoi Dancers - Principals

How do the Bolshoi Principal Ballerinas compare to those

of the NYCB and ABT?

Based on discussion of the Spartacus performances elsewhere on this site, it might not be a bad idea to extend this topic to male dancers. There, ABT seems to be way in the lead, with Acosta and Gomes being suggested for the roles of Spartacus and Crassus, in whichever order! To which I'd add Hallberg as Crassus.

Bringing NYCB into the mix, how about Uvarov to partner Maria Kowroski and La Sylve? And how about Maria K and, in a year or two, Ashley Bouder as Phrygia?

It is a bit tougher, however, to compare the ballerinas, partly because we're seeing the Bolshoi dancers perform on a level surface, unlike the raked stages of Russia. But I'd certainly like to see Lunkina and Zakharova in ABT's Giselle...

I was thinking about this the other night upon returning from the Bolshoi's Don Quixote (Zakharova). The Bolshoi ballerinas are technically brilliant (not in the way, say, Murphy is technically brilliant <which is not the standard by which I compare>, but brilliantly strong with gorgeous lines, extensions, etc.) They are all beautiful, long, thin, with gorgeous faces. I, too, would love to see Zakharova in ABT's Giselle. But something about them made me really miss ABT ballerinas, and some NYCB ballerinas as well. There was not that risk, that spontaneity that I encountered so often this season at ABT. They are all very similar, and dance very similarly. What I loved about ABT was never knowing what to expect, and how individual, unique and different every ballerina was from eachother. One performance would be completely different from the other- and not only was Kent totally different from McKerrow, she was also totally different the second time around. What I felt with the Bolshoi ballerinas is that everything is very rehearsed- even their reactions, their facial expression..they all looked identical! What I feel with many ABT ballerinas is that the coaches and ballet masters allow them to develop their own characters and they really develop it from their hearts, and each time, their performance is different, depending on what they are feeling that day. They may not have the incredible extensions, but there is something else that the Bolshoi ballerinas, IMO, do not have.

I did see Zakharova as Nikiya when she guested with ABT, and that was a heart-stopping performance, one that will always stay imprinted in my memory. I think that role was more suited to her than that of Kitri. In Don Quixote especially, a certain fire and temperament is necessary (a latin temperament :) ).

Forget Phrygia for Bouder.  Aegina!

Bouder/Aegina? Yes!!! And with Maria as Phrygia, what an alternative we'd have to NYCB's "Blue Necklace!"

This will surely raise objections, but since I see Phrygia as a character as heroic as Spartacus, the Wheeldonised version of Wendy Whelan would make a fascinating Phrygia. Too bad Jock isn't ten years younger--what duets they'd deliver in Spartacus...

To Gisell05, it really is true that Don Q wasn't the best ballet to display these Bolshoi ballerinas. With Antonicheva's fame in this role... .

Zakharova's Bayadere (as compared to what I've seen her perform in those Mariinsky visits) is why I suggested ABT's Giselle: she'd have no line-breaking extensions (I assume Kolpakova would be in charge of her) and we'd get to see the lyric purity which those two magical Bayadere's suggested was in her.

I don't see the Bolshoi ballerinas as all alike, but surely the greater variety at ABT is not explained only by the differing backgrounds of ABT's ballerinas. As you point out, individual ABT ballerinas change from performance to performance. Risk rules!

Of course we do not have the luxury of watching the Bolshoi ballerinas many times over in a given role. Your remark on ABT's freer climate has been tested. Put a Russian ballerina in ABT: Zakharova did seem different in her two Bayaderes (one more erotic, the other more pristine), and Makarova, much to Baryshnikov's chagrin, was always unpredictable! And Part, her three New York O/O's have certainly been anything but carbon copies. Hopefully ABT's not calling Vishneva a "guest" means we'll get to see her repeat some roles...

The Bolshoi ballerinas . . .  are all beautiful, long, thin, with gorgeous faces.  . . . They are all very similar, and dance very similarly.

I think this is a matter of familiarity, or lack thereof. People I know who are well versed with the Russian companies and a bit of ABT have said the same of NYCB dancers who, to those of us who know them, are completely distinct dancers, each with their own special qualities. Once we've become accustomed to a company's overall look, it is easier to see through it to the essence of each dancer. Just takes time and more familiarity than a two week fly-by affords us. :)

I am moderately impressed by the technical level of the women, but the men leave much to be desired in terms of basics. That they lack turnout is not news, but taking a pirouette from second position, with both knees and all ten toes pointing straight front, well, 'nuf said.

Could our home companies match the Bolshoi's completely integrated theatricality -- every body on stage giving impact to each moment of a passage, each moment linked to the one just before and the one just after, all part of a coherent whole? Not that I've seen. That's the Bolshoi's stock in trade, and they still do it much better than anyone else I know of.

The Bolshoi here in New York only brought about half of their dancers, as I understand, so I don't think it is really fair to judge. I remember liking Filin very very much when the Bolshoi was here last, and he didn't come this time. But I don't think the men they brought are nearly as strong or as interesting as the ones ABT has, and certainly the corps in Spartacus didn't have the conviction or the weight that I remember from the equally bombastic Golden Age in the mid-1980's. But they are selling well, so maybe in the future, the whole company can come!