This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Kennedy Center Performance

FYI - the company also performed during the Kennedy Center Honors, as part of Suzanne Farrell's tribute. They reportedly performed the finale from Divertimento No. 15, and it will be broadcast on CBS, December 27 at 9 pm. (The newspapers all seem to be focusing on Beyonce's tribute for Tina Turner...)

Art thanks for this. I was wondering what (and, considering the last few KCH's, how much of the ballet would be shown). Just the finale -- that's not much and there's sort of not much to it. And I say this with expentant dread, the more corps to a peice, the more the camera men try to get cute or artisitic. That's why it's always best to do a pas de deux at these things -- it keeps it simple for the director who fears everybody is going to turn their TVs off during the ballet.

And I say this with expentant dread, the more corps to a peice, the more the camera men try to get cute or artisitic.  That's why it's always best to do a pas de deux at these things -- it keeps it simple for the director who fears everybody is going to turn their TVs off during the ballet.

Dale, we can hope. I thought the camera work was fine when Miami City Ballet performed Rubies for Villella in '97.

I'm not a moderator, but having noticed that this thread has veered off from discussion of the mixed-repertory program of Thanksgiving week into anticipation of the Kennedy Center Honors broadcast, I'm wondering whether it might be more appropriate to continue that on another thread where some of us are already discussing the Honors show:

http://ballettalk.invisionzone.com/index.p...d=171353&st=15&

As for the Thanksgiving-week peformances, I agree that La Source was a good choice for the reason Bill gives; if I felt the ballet was a little under-realized in the main roles, especially as early in the run as Tuesday, it's probably because - I'm sorry if this comes across as boastful, when I only intend to say where I'm coming from - I saw several performances of it under the choreographer's supervison, with Violete Verdy in the principal woman's role. The ballet was, and remains, one of my favorites. And similarly for the principal roles in La Valse. Thanks for your post, Bill, it's the kind of thing that helps me to believe what I saw really happened, although you put things a little differently, from your different perspective.

I appreciate the comment, Jack. This is perhaps an illustration of the ephemeral nature of dance, as well as my own unsophisticated sensibilities. Having never seen a Balanchine-supervised staging of these ballets, I have very little basis for comparison, but certainly am enjoying the education! I can imagine attending other performances of these ballets by other companies and, for example, comparing a future Clarinade to the Mahoney-Du tour de force of November. I should be so lucky...