This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

A Question about "Solitaire" by MacMillan

Except the choreographer, (which I already knew). I did a search and did come up with the info that it is a one-act ballet. I think that the main women's role was set on Seymour (I do not know this for a fact).

Any info available on this ballet would be appreciated. Our local library has few ballet resources, so I have been unable to find anything.

I am interested in a summary of the libretto and also the music and the composer, and any other pertinent information.

There is no urgency in my request, I am just curious. :)

british readers would be able to say more here, esp. about specifics. but here's a listing for the credits from the n.y.p.library dance collection:

Solitaire Chor: Kenneth MacMillan; mus: Malcolm Arnold (Eight English dances, and a specially composed Sarabande and Polka). First perf: London, Sadler's Wells Theatre, June 7, 1956, Sadler's Wells Theatre Ballet; scen & cos: Lawrence Shafer.//First U.S. perf: New York, Metropolitan Opera House, Sept 17, 1957, Royal Ballet; scen & cos: Desmond Heeley.

the following are the sources given in the library for references concerning the work:

Dancing times. July 1956, p 563-565./

Dance & dancers. Aug 1956, p 21-25.//Ballet today. July 1956, p 4.// MacMillan, Kenneth. NYHT, Sept 18, 1957.// Dance news. Oct 1957, p 11-12.//A Ballet today. Feb 1958, p 4.

Martine vanHamel and Clark Tippett danced its adagio for ABT in the '70s. I don't know if that was an excerpt, or the whole (short) ballet.

The backdrop suggested a beach.

That's the extent of my recollection. Lucky I was able to retrieve that much!

Solitaire doesn't have a plot - as far as I remember it's described in programmes as 'a kind of game for one' and MacMillan said of his original thoughts 'the theme was was a very simple one, or so I thought, of a lonely child unable to make friends, but happy in the memories of the rare times that people had befriended her'.

The leading role was created by Margaret Hill - Seymour danced it later and gave one of the funniest and most touching performances of anything I've ever seen. The Birmingham Royal Ballet is reviving it next season for the first time in years.

The backcloth is meant to be an abstract version of a children's playground.