This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Photographs

Nice pictures from the recent performances of MIDSUMMER are at the NYCB website, in the section "Front Row Center". Reichlin's fans will love the Hippolyta picture. Was hoping to see Antonio Carmena, but can't complain about the air-borne de Luz...great! Also, a youthul-looking Darci and a beautiful snap of Albert & Alexandra complete a nice souvenir of this year's excellent run of this ballet.

I admit it; I'm computer stupid.  Where is the "Front Row Center" section on NYCB's web site?  I Searched for it and all I got was a discription of what it is.

The NYCB website has one of the worst professionally created public-facing user interfaces I've ever seen. It's a wonder anyone finds anything there.

The NYCB website has one of the worst professionally created public-facing user interfaces I've ever seen.  It's a wonder anyone finds anything there.

I have the "Who's Dancing" page bookmarked. Otherwise, I'd waste hours over the course of a season clicking through, and that's one of the easier pages! :speechless-smiley-003:

The Darci pic is gorgeous! :wub:

The NYCB website has one of the worst professionally created public-facing user interfaces I've ever seen.  It's a wonder anyone finds anything there.

I agree. It's especially difficult to navigate if you're on a Macintosh, as the only browser that seems to show everything properly is Internet Explorer - and that hasn't been updated for ages (and Microsoft has even said they are discontinuing development on the Mac version). Anyway, I sent an email to the NYCB office asking them about it, and this is the reply I received :

Thank you for your interest in New York City Ballet.  Yes,  we are begining a

redesign now, we hope to have it complete by late spring or early summer 05.

In the mean time there is a work around you can use in other browsers.  By

clicking on the click here to print it will bring up another window which is

scrollable in any  browser.

Sincerely,

Carol Landers

Director of Research and Online Media

I hope it comes out soon. :speechless-smiley-003:

Re:

"The NYCB website has one of the worst professionally created public-facing user interfaces I've ever seen. It's a wonder anyone finds anything there."

Although ABT's website does seem easier than NYCB's, it has some deeply buried hidden treasures. Four levels deep one will find their ballet dictionary:

http://abt.org/education/dictionary/index.html

where all those technical terms we non-dancers don't comprehend are nicely explained, often with video illustrations. For example, learn how to pirouette from Jaffe, Carreno, and the Young Angel himself! Much, much more!

Who are the two incredibly bored-looking girls in the back of the Darci pic?  It's hard to imagine being that underwhelmed on the stage of the state theatre...

Hahaha

I was thinking the same thing.

Yes, one of the girls was Tarin Wolfe, I think, and looked very very bored. I've never really seen her smile on stage, and even look very unpleasant at times (from the performances I have seen). Maybe this is something that comes along with age?

I agree. It's especially difficult to navigate if you're on a Macintosh, as the only browser that seems to show everything properly is Internet Explorer - and that hasn't been updated for ages (and Microsoft has even said they are discontinuing development on the Mac version). Anyway, I sent an email to the NYCB office asking them about it, and this is the reply I received :

Thank you for your interest in New York City Ballet.  Yes,  we are begining a

redesign now, we hope to have it complete by late spring or early summer 05.

In the mean time there is a work around you can use in other browsers.  By

clicking on the click here to print it will bring up another window which is

scrollable in any  browser.

Sincerely,

Carol Landers

Director of Research and Online Media

I hope it comes out soon. :(

Anyone see any changes in the NYCB website?

I haven't (and it is late August).

Member amitava, a photographer, just posted that he sees few performances with the audience and does most of his work in dress and tech rehearsals.  I suspect the same is true for Mr. Kolnik.

Paul Kolnik photographs from the Right Viewing Room at performances, and sometimes in the center of the 1st Ring. Before they put up the baffles at the extreme ends of the rings, the photographer's seat was right up close to the stage in the 1st ring, right side.

Sorry, Violin Concerto, for neglecting to welcome you to Ballet Talk earlier! You seem to have a lot of interesting behind-the-scenes info. I hope you'll introduce yourself on our Welcome Page.

I guess the architects (or was it the accousticians?) didn't consult the photographers before they baffled the front of the rings. There's probably no reason other than personal/artistic perference why Kolnick wouldn't photograph from the sides of the rings during dress rehearsals.