This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

July 26th (U.S.):

CREOLE GISELLE - Virginia Johnson, Eddie Shellman, Dance Theater of Harlem, 1988 (Kultur)

THE STONE FLOWER - Tatiana Terekhova, Aleksandr Gulyaev, Anna Polikarpova, Irina Christyakova; Alexandre Viliumanis, Kirov Ballet 1991 (Kultur)

THE SLEEPING BEAUTY - Irina Kolpakova, Sergei Berezhnoi, Lubov Kunakova, Kirov Ballet 1983 (Kultur)

Dana

Edited by DSanderson
There is also a DVD release in august (Europe) of "The sleeping beauty" with Konstantin Zaklinsky and Altynai Asylmuratova.

I don't know if it's a Kultur release, but they have the same performance on vhs.

I have the VHS, which I like a whole lot. But I hop :wallbash: that whoever releases

it, is able to get a good master. The quality on much of the VHS version is awful, no other word fits.

It's primarily the lighting which is so murky in spots that parts of it looks like they are taped at night, underwater. But this is mostly the prologue and act 1. After that it's not anywhere near as bad

Richard

Will this Sleeping Beauty version be available stateside in DVD format? I need a different version than I have now. Right now I have the Royal Ballet with Durante which is beautiful, but I am looking for more of the old Petipa choreography (for the fairy variations etc.)

Thanks for any info.

b1

If I'm not wrong, I believe that the Royal Ballet production with Durante - despite the modernistic sets and costumes - has choreography that is closer to Petipa than the two available Kirov productions (both the Asylmuratova recording and the more recent one with Larisa Lezhina, the latter of which is available on DVD, incidentally).

The Kirov production recorded is of a revision by Konstantin Sergeyev made in 1952, which differs choreographically from the Petipa original. I've been told that the Royal Ballet production, as with many of the English productions of SLeeping Beauty, stick more closely to the original "text", if you will, though changes have been made. Can someone expand upon/correct me?

There is a woman who developed a notation of the older 'original' Petipa choreography that was getting lost over the years. (this was started many years ago). According to her notation of Lilac Fairy, there are changes in the RB version. Here is a website link

http://www.dancewriting.org/acrobat/ballet...Lilac_Fairy.pdf

Great site for finding some of the classic choreography. My problem is I wanted to show my students the actual performance of it as well.

b1

There is also a DVD release in august (Europe) of "The sleeping beauty" with Konstantin Zaklinsky and Altynai Asylmuratova.

I don't know if it's a Kultur release, but they have the same performance on vhs.

and there's also an Arthaus Musik DVD of Bolshoi SLEEPING BEAUTY from 1989 with Aleksei Fadeyechev and Nina Semiozorova releasing R2 PAL.

*whops* sorry, noticed this was already mentioned in the ARTHAUS MUSIK thread.

-goro-